Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TS working... not working... work... not...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TS working... not working... work... not...

Hey everyone,

Hopefully someone has some insight to this phenomenon...

I have my carpc all setup, and have encountered a very annoying problem.

Seemingly once out of every 2-4 boots, my usb touchscreen (lilliput) will decide it doesn't want to cooperate (ie, it fails to work). Has anyone else experienced this? Any debugging tips?
    90% done - Sempron 64 2600+, MSI RS480M, 512mb, 80gb hd, 7" Lilliput, 802.11g pci, Itrek gps, Panasonic slim slot DVD/CDRW (broke :( ), Hauppage Wintv, Iguidance 2.0, Opus 150w, Griffin Powermate, Optima Yellowtop, Infiniti 6002i & 9603i

My Install

Yeah, I just reboot and its happy.

I usually find that it happens when I think my WIFI card is searching for networks. Dont know why it causes problems but I think thats when it happens.
    '02 GTI
    [Routis '04] [Opus 90W] [160GB Maxtor HD]
    [Lilliput 7" TS] [VIA M10000] [XMPCR]
    [512MB RAM] [Custom housing]
    [Deluo GPS Mouse] [E-MU 0404 Soundcard]
    Progress Meter: [==============|] 99.9%

Comment

What is not working, the screen, or the touch part?
      Quick! To the Popemobile!

Comment

the touch part. It'll work on one boot, and then just wont' on another given boot.... the display works fine though... very weird!
        90% done - Sempron 64 2600+, MSI RS480M, 512mb, 80gb hd, 7" Lilliput, 802.11g pci, Itrek gps, Panasonic slim slot DVD/CDRW (broke :( ), Hauppage Wintv, Iguidance 2.0, Opus 150w, Griffin Powermate, Optima Yellowtop, Infiniti 6002i & 9603i

My Install

Comment

hmm.. i do have a wifi card in there... are you saying that when there IS a network, and the card is searching for it, it won't work? Or if there are no networks, and it's just searching, then it won't work?

My Install

Comment

Im not sure, but I notice mine doesnt work usually when I resume from hibernation. Then in about 20-40 seconds or so it starts to work (without rebooting), so I just assume its searching for networks and hogging an essential resource somewhere.

Sometimes though it just needs a clean reboot.
            '02 GTI

Comment

Originally posted by bulgogi777
              Hey everyone,

Seemingly once out of every 2-4 boots, my usb touchscreen (lilliput) will decide it doesn't want to cooperate (ie, it fails to work). Has anyone else experienced this? Any debugging tips?
              If the touchscreen is connected through a USB hub, try connecting it to a USB port on the computer, if at all possible.
              If that's not the case, then I don't know what to tell you.
              Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
              How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Originally posted by bulgogi777
                Hey everyone,

Sounds like a USB conflict. Do you have a USB GPS mouse. If that is fireing up before the touch screen it may be getting in the way. Try reconfiguring the ports.

Comment

I don't use a GPS mouse, I have a serial one... but I do connect the TS through a 4-port hub in the front of the car. The hub is then connected to the computer with a usb extension cable.

Just curious, why would putting it in a hub prevent the TS from working? and only some of the time? 'cause running another usb from the front to back might not fit in my run channel (i've packed it pretty full...)

hmm... one thing I haven't checked is if my other usb peripherals are working when the TS goes out...

My Install

Comment

Is it a powered hub?
                    '02 GTI

Comment

Well, when it's plugged into the usb port, the little green light turns on... but it does have an externally powered port as well that I haven't used. Here's a pic:

that hole on the bottom right is an AC adaptor plug

Could my problem lie with lack of power to my peripherals? I do have 4 things plugged in... my slimline dvdrom via IDE 2 USB adaptor, griffin powermate, digimoto OBD reader w/ serial 2 USB adaptor (but this is powered by my car i believe... except the actual adaptor), and finally the TS itself.

My Install

Comment

Yeah, if it's a USB 2.0 adaptor its recommended that it be powered.

Give it a shot and see if it helps your issue.
                        '02 GTI

Comment

cool, thanx judo... now i just gotta figure out how to get 5V to the hub, doh!

My Install

Comment

Just run it from the Opus, there are both 12V and 5v lines in there.
                            '02 GTI

Comment

yea, I'm just worried that I might be at my wattage limits with the Opus, and fitting another line up to the front of the car...

My Install

Comment

Working...
                              X