COOLING THE CARPUTER

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• COOLING THE CARPUTER

I was wondering what anyon ehere has done about cooling the carputer. I was thinking of extending a tube of some sort to the trunk and cool it using my car's AC but that's a hassle.. and I dont know where Im gonna stick the tube from the front of the car to the trunk.
    So i found this thing peltier mini ac cooler and I am thinking of either building one myself or buying one. You can power is using the 12V from car battery.
    http://www.melcor.com/maa50t.htm

You can just seal off all the holes in the case and have it cool just the air inside with no air exchange between ambient and the computer case. What you guys think?
    04 Acura TL w/ core2duo 2ghz laptop w/ 1gb RAM on a docking station.

Fast car, fast PC. ;)

http://www.arcdesigns.net/carpc/

My TL CarPC ver2

FSR Flash Skin w/ moving weather maps

Geezuz i just called them to ask for pricing:
    MAA070T-12 $286
    MAA050T-12 $330 ( the one pictured above)

so much for that idea... can anyone give me some help? I need to find a way to cool my system. The temp in my trunk here in CA gets easily up above 130F during the summer...

Fast car, fast PC. ;)

My TL CarPC ver2

Comment

i know a few people who use peltiers. they only spent like $50 for theirs, though. theres another thing that you also must remember and that you are only cooling the cpu...NOT the rest of the case. Since the cpu side is really cold, the other side of the peltier is really hot.
      2004 F-150
      Shuttle XPC, 80gig HD, Wireless Internet, DVD
      "How piMP3d is your ride??"

Comment

Hmm i wasn't talking about cooling the CPU. I was talking about cooling the computer CASE itself.

Fast car, fast PC. ;)

My TL CarPC ver2

Comment

dont worry about the case. I think CPU is what u really need to cool down. If that cpu gets too hot then ur OS will go nuts.
          abcd-1
          Author of CobraI,II,III and now CobraIV.
          You can contact me on AOL instant messenger....nick is cenwesi or cenwesi3

Comment

So far I haven't had any problems at all with my carputer in my trunk, and it was 110 today. Infact for the last couple days! I hope I dont start having problems, I will keep everyone posted.
            Steve

Comment

prolly cuz ur trunk is cooler
              abcd-1
              Author of CobraI,II,III and now CobraIV.
              You can contact me on AOL instant messenger....nick is cenwesi or cenwesi3

Comment

check www.eio.com . Last time I looked, they had some spare peltiers for $19, but that's more of a cpu-specific thing. Theirs run off of 5 volts.

The way peltiers work is by inducing a thermal gradient from a voltage difference (a thermocouple in reverse), but like all systems, they are not perfectly efficient. Which means that you will increase the total heat in the system, but cool a localized area. Much like your fridge at home. I would double check to see how much you can really cool using one of these things. Whatever the "cool" surface is touching will do well, everything else will get (slightly) even warmer.

Comment

It seems like you might be complicating matters. If you use a peltier to cool the case you will need a fan inside the case to circulate the cool air and one outside to cool the peltier (you could allways build your machine into a car fridge ). In my design I used 3mm aluminium sheet which was cut and bent so that it sat on top of the CPU and ran through a slot on the outside of the case and attached to a large heatsink. The same was done to the DC-DC converter. It's currently winter here in Australia (maximum temp is about 30C.) and so far I have had no problems using this method. The bonus is there are no fans to fail and collect dust.

Comment

30C in australia? in the summer or winter? in summer i have seen 49's an even 52 once, and for the past few weeks is been sub 17's and raining
                    http://www.mp3vl.tk Plans and progress on my install - (Updated 28 June 02)
                    Australian mp3car Portal
                    mp3car related links Check them out / Add some
                    mp3car FAQ - RTFF

[########==]80% Assembling
                    -=Current Progress: Working Sproggy supply, building box.=-

Comment

Damn metric system, I read that the first time and thought it was 17F, heh
                      --BLK
                      Wide awake
                      and keeping distance from my soul - Tool

Comment

I have two fans in my system. One on the case, one on the CPU. I have drilled ventalation holes near the HD and power supply and never had any heat problems. In fact, I could probably lose the CPU fan (it isn't spinning very well anyway) and just use the main fan as it is right above the CPU. See the link on "Player" in my sig for pictures. For what it's worth, this has run through very hot summers, for hours on end, in the sunlight, with the car turned off and all windows up. I don't have an air conditioner.
                        Player: Pentium 166MMX, Amptron 598LMR MB w/onboard Sound, Video, LAN, 10.2 Gig Fujitsu Laptop HD, Arise 865 DC-DC Converter, Lexan Case, Custom Software w/Voice Interface, MS Access Based Playlists
                        Car: 1986 Mazda RX-7 Turbo (highly modded), 1978 RX-7 Beater (Dead, parting out), 2001 Honda Insight
                        "If one more body-kitted, cut-spring-lowered, farty-exhausted Civic revs on me at an intersection, I swear I'm going to get out of my car and cram their ridiculous double-decker aluminium wing firmly up their rump."

Comment

You might want to try something like this:

Card Coller XT 120 mm fan (2)

Card Cooler XT Review

The Card Cooler XT easily covers all your card slots and part of your CPU. This beast may not be for everyone, one thing I noticed is that in smaller cases it simply won't fit, so be sure to measure the space first! The Card Cooler XT really fits the job of circulating the air over the PCI/AGP cards in a system and keeping them a lot cooler.
                          Maestro MP3 player: MIS K7T Pro-2A, AMD 1.2GHz, RAM 640MB, 80G HD; Screen: Datalux 10.4 VGA; Head Unit: Kenwood Z727; RF control ON/OFF/RESET

Comment

moahdib Hmm i wasn't talking about cooling the CPU. I was talking about cooling the computer CASE itself.
                            Well I don't know why you want to cool hte case? Should you worry about CPU?

And one more thing, if you guys use fans to cool down the computer (CPU) , the Temp will only goes down 1-2 C Max. than the room/truck temp. And some case, it will increse the computer temp. (fan motor will also make heat)

so if the truck temp is >100F , well using fans will not help computer.

it's just like oven!

well I heard about thermoelectric cooler , but I don't know how well it works.
                            Or use water cooling system, I saw it in the one website and I though it was really cool idea. I'm sorry I don;t have a address for that but I'm sure you can find it using search engin.

Comment

You have to remember that you can't use a peltier, fans, or a car fridge without a supply of relatively cooler air. If you seal your box up, the air in the box will become tremendously hot. After a few minutes, using a peltier will be worse than a plain open system. A car fridge has the same problem... You will simply heat up the air inside the car w/o circulation from a cooler source.

The air outside the car, even if it's over 100deg f, will be cooler than a processor. That's the key.
                              http://www.jeepmp3.com/
                              CarPC Stolen. Starting over.
                              Ne1 recognize the avatar?

Comment

Working...
                              X