Hauppauge TV/FM Tuner Cards

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hauppauge TV/FM Tuner Cards

Is anyone here using a Hauppauge TV/FM Tuner Card? I want to get one and do away with my HU, but only if FM reception and quality are decent. I will (somehow) hook it up to my external truck antenna. Any feedback on these? They are supposed to be the best TV/FM tuner cards for desktops, just wonder if they work good for cars.
    The 2007 Scion tC + Infill G4 Project | DVDxml.com

I have the WinTV Radio and i have been pretty happy with it. I don't have the antenna hooked up to my car(power antenna broken). I just have the antenna that came with it laying on my back dash. The reception isn't quite as good as my old hu.
    Compaq v6719 Athlon X2 tk-57
    Xenarc 7" Dash Install, iGuidance w/ iGPS 500
    HD Radio, Powermate, ShuttleXpress, XMDirect, DC/Auto turn on, Pioneer TS-C720PRS, 2 12" MTX BTE's, JL 500/1 and RBC

94.3% of all percentages are made up

Comment

I am currently using the a PCI Hauppauge Wintv card, and I think it sounds pretty good. Definitely not crappy by any means. I just bought an adaptor to hook my car's antenna to the coax input of the card.
      90% done - Sempron 64 2600+, MSI RS480M, 512mb, 80gb hd, 7" Lilliput, 802.11g pci, Itrek gps, Panasonic slim slot DVD/CDRW (broke :( ), Hauppage Wintv, Iguidance 2.0, Opus 150w, Griffin Powermate, Optima Yellowtop, Infiniti 6002i & 9603i

My Install

Comment

Originally posted by bulgogi777
        I am currently using the a PCI Hauppauge Wintv card, and I think it sounds pretty good. Definitely not crappy by any means. I just bought an adaptor to hook my car's antenna to the coax input of the card.
        Where did you get that adapter?

Comment

I bought my adapters from Radioshack. My car's antenna cable plug is a motorola style plug. I actually had to buy two adaptors because they didn't have the right adapters. One female motorola --> BNC, and one BNC --> Coax.
          90% done - Sempron 64 2600+, MSI RS480M, 512mb, 80gb hd, 7" Lilliput, 802.11g pci, Itrek gps, Panasonic slim slot DVD/CDRW (broke :( ), Hauppage Wintv, Iguidance 2.0, Opus 150w, Griffin Powermate, Optima Yellowtop, Infiniti 6002i & 9603i

My Install

Comment

Originally posted by bulgogi777
            I bought my adapters from Radioshack. My car's antenna cable plug is a motorola style plug. I actually had to buy two adaptors because they didn't have the right adapters. One female motorola --> BNC, and one BNC --> Coax.
            What's the motorola style plug look like? I'm trying to determine what the one on my truck is.

Comment

like this:

My Install

Comment

Thanks.

Now, which would do better, USB or PCI?

Edit: Also, what model Hauppauge do you have?

Comment

I don't have any experience with the USB version, but unless you don't have spare PCI slots I don't see why not get the PCI version. I had an extra Wintv model 401 from my HTPC, which i replaced with a couple wintv pvr 250s. The 401 should be all you need, and I think it's pretty cheap too.

My Install

Comment

Do you think the 401 would be good enough reception in my truck? I'm not too worried about TV, just the FM. Is there any difference is quality between the 401's FM and the 250's FM?

Comment

depends where your PC is and your antenna Socket if ure using your stock antenna.

Im using a USB one. Im testing it and getting it working now. So far its been OK. Few problems but sorting them one by one.

Comment

I don't think there's any difference in the FM quality between the 250, 350, or 401... Their main difference is the hardware mpeg2 decoding/encoding for tv input. As far as reception, if you're using your trucks antenna, I think it should good. Huge difference between inside vehicle and outside vehicle reception.

Oh, and the distance from your stock antenna plug to the pc shouldn't really matter because, the adapters that you buy would plug into a coax cable, then into your 401 card at your PC. So you can get however long of a coax cable you want.

My Install

Comment

Thanks for all the input guys.

Comment

i just got PRV usb2 winTV/FM. straight outa the box it could only pick up 1 station jiggle the anntenae up to 6. my HU picks up bout 20. the sound quality is hmmm metallic/harsh sounding. thing was so bloody dear i is questioning wisdom of purchase. Oh BTW this product has an external power supply so now i got powering issues to contend with .sigh...

Comment

Originally posted by Cat Monkey
                              i just got PRV usb2 winTV/FM. straight outa the box it could only pick up 1 station jiggle the anntenae up to 6. my HU picks up bout 20. the sound quality is hmmm metallic/harsh sounding. thing was so bloody dear i is questioning wisdom of purchase. Oh BTW this product has an external power supply so now i got powering issues to contend with .sigh...
                              Thanks for letting me know.

I just bought the WinTV Radio (401) from newegg for $71. Should be here Monday. I'll let you guys know how it works out.

Comment

Working...
                              X