wattage of processors - sempron/intel cel "D"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wattage of processors - sempron/intel cel "D"

i searched this, and i know of the wattage calc. on that site, but it does not have the processors im lookin at..

i am still configuring my car pc, i need help finding out the wattage of a few of the newer budget processors , the AMD semprons (2200+/2300+) and celeron "D"s (315) and the p4 based celerons.

also, does the voltage of the processor have anything to do with the wattage ? most amd's are 1.5-1.75v, but the celerons are lower, 1.25-1.4v

thanks for any help.

voltage is not the concern...
    try to look for amd-m procc. I think they are 2 ghz and go as low at ~8 watts...tahts one of the proccess i am waiting to test to see if they will work for the retail packages from dice
    DICE Los Angeles
    ]

Comment

ya the amd Mobile is about $80 though, the processors im lookin at are around $45

Comment

and the mobile athlon is 45w, or so i've read

Comment

I am running the AMD mobile 45W, but the mobo doesn't recognize the CPU correctly. I have to do "pin mod" to have the mobo to recognize the CPU as XP2400+. The 150W AC PSU ([email protected], [email protected], [email protected]) works wonder with the combination. However I have a small problem running the Sproggy MK4.5 PSU ([email protected], [email protected], [email protected] ~200W). Playing Winamp and GPS is fine, but as soon as I enable VIS on winamp, the computer freeze. If I use the DVD drive, the computer either freeze or reboot and so does cranking.
          The 2 power supplies I used are basically the same wattage output, but different from each rail and one works but the other doesn't. After googling for the solution, I found the problem I have (I think) is that the Sproggy PSU doesn't supply enought power on the 5V rail. I am in the process of redo my PSU to increase the output on the 5V rail.

So the norm here is that the same wattage output doesn't mean they are the same and will work with your combination. You have to search and figure out which rail the mobo + CPU + add on card and stuff use power from. If the combination you have use more power on the 12V rail, find one that has more output on the 12V rail.
          2004 Matrix XR A7N8X-VM/400 AMD XP-M 2500+, DS-ATX
          89 Supra Turbo P3 [email protected]/Abit BE6 II, Alpine M-BUS Car2PC.
          Y2K Accord Dell GX150
          RoadRunner is the best FE PERIOD
          EmoRebellion is a SCAMMER

Comment

Lots of CPU info in this Tom's Hardware Guide article. Check the Comparison Table at the end of the article.

Comment

matrixPC, i plan on using a opus, so rails and junk is not my concern, i just want a low power processor that does not suck or cost alot.

ecar- thanks for the info, but again that does not have the celeron D or sempron's.

Comment

hahaha frodo i love what youve done, that was really starting to **** me off
                Signature: [==||========] 20% complete

Comment

Originally posted by Nic
                  hahaha frodo i love what youve done, that was really starting to **** me off
                  get a life dude. trying to ask serious questions here, sorry my picture offends frodo... and ****es you off..

Comment

I too would be interested in the wattage requirements of the new Semprons, as they seem to be the best bang for the buck right now.

Matt

Comment

well i found out semprons are all 62 watt processors.

Comment

Typically what is quoted for AMD processors is the TDP of a "family". That is, that's the most amount of power that a top-end processor of that line will draw.

Comment

Originally posted by fuctup
                          matrixPC, i plan on using a opus, so rails and junk is not my concern, i just want a low power processor that does not suck or cost alot.
                          Base on my Sproggy spec, Opus spec, and my old AC PSU spec, the OPUS 150W can't power my setup (Opus only have 10A on 5V rail) because the mobo use more power on 5V rail.
                          2004 Matrix XR A7N8X-VM/400 AMD XP-M 2500+, DS-ATX
                          89 Supra Turbo P3 [email protected]/Abit BE6 II, Alpine M-BUS Car2PC.
                          Y2K Accord Dell GX150
                          RoadRunner is the best FE PERIOD
                          EmoRebellion is a SCAMMER

Comment

so an opus wouldnt power a microATX board with a 50-60w processor, 2.5" hd, slim dvd drive, and a pci card or 2? and ram, keyboard/mouse etc.

Comment

Fuctup: Yes voltage is a part of the output wattage. From the wattage calculator though it seems that speed is a bigger portion.

The XP-M processors are great for over and underclocking. Stock they output around 45 watts of heat. I currently have a XP-M 2500 (1.83 Ghz @ 1.45 V, stock) that I now have it running at 1.2 Ghz @ 1.3 volts (around 20-23 watts heat output tops) in a server. Ofcourse, as MatrixPC found most motherboards don't know what this little processor is. This is because it doesn't have several of the L bridges set. This is for processor stepping to allow the motherboard to underclock the processor as when there isn't a need for speed (like being AFK or probably while viewing this thread). This reduces heat overall. So for you to use one of these processors without doing pin mods or cutting into the chip you will want to run this processor in a board that supports overclocking and manual control over the processor's settings. Bad thing about this is that this will mean a full size motherboard. Good thing is that you can underclock this processor as you see fit in BIOS for whatever ambient temperatures you need to compensate for.

Note: Although the processor is designed to allow BOIS software multiplier variation, to my knowledge no desktop motherboard to my knowledge supports this.

Also note: I have heard of the XP's out performing the Semperons. Why would AMD do this? I don't know.

If anyone would like more info on this let me know. These little proc's are great and are extremely overclockable. I put one at 2.8 Ghz which out benchmarked my AMD64 3200, a friend's FX-51, and another friend's 3.0 Prescott, all with the premium parts. (We were all really ****ed.)

Comment

Working...
                              X