Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who else has had problems with Via M10k Bios v1.16?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who else has had problems with Via M10k Bios v1.16?

I downloaded Via's latest bios for the EPIA M10000 mobo. I went to flash it with Via's windows flash util Flight Deck, and it wouldn't flash. It complained that the bios image didn't match the motherboard. I should have known right then to stop. But I had just downloaded it right from Via. It must be right!

Anyway, so I made a bootable floppy and used the Award Flash util and flashed my bios. Fortunately for me, I backed up my old bios.

After I upgraded to the new bios, did a clean install of WinXP Pro. During the install my system spontaneously rebooted once or twice and I had to start over. Then once WinXP was loaded, my system would spontaneously reboot whenever it felt like it. I managed to get the new "required" video driver loaded (required for use with the new Bios), and the rebooting seemed to stop. I then managed to download and install all of the Windows Update critical updates, including service pack 2, which took forever.

After service pack 2 was loaded, the spontaneous rebooting started again! I even reloaded the drivers, just in case. I loaded all the other "latest greatest" drivers from Via's web site. No luck - still rebooting. It seemed to me that it was an IRQ conflict. My network card and the video display and one USB channel were all sharing IRQ11. I couldn't for the life of me assign everything to alternate IRQ's.

So I gave up. I wasted a couple days trying things from Via's forum, like setting your bios to the default settings before flashing. Reloading WinXP again and again. I ever tried to go down to version 1.13 of the bios. It messed up the video majorly, so I finally went back to my original 1.0f version of the bios and reinstalled WinXP.

So I ask: what is everyone else's experience with bios 1.16? Has anyone else had the rebooting problem? Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance:
    Tom
    So far:
    M10000 Nehemiah, 1Gb RAM, Opus 90w PS, Buffalo Tech WLI2-USB2-G54, 160 Gb HDD, GlobalSat BU-353 GPS, iGuidance, Zippy EL-610, Panasonic CW8123B Slim Slot CDRW/DVD, 10" Lilliput, Sony XA-300, Sony CDX-MP30 Head, OBD-II

RMA that mofo!

I flashed my mobo with the 1.16 bios and the bastard had no VGA afterwards. I had to bridge the CMOS reset jumper while the power was on to fix it. Then that night my car battery died while it was in standby.

I also noticed that it takes a really long time to do windows updates especially service packs.

Comment

It's funny that you mentioned that. Mine takes FOREVER to do Windows Updates. It downloads them much faster than it installs them.
      So far:
      M10000 Nehemiah, 1Gb RAM, Opus 90w PS, Buffalo Tech WLI2-USB2-G54, 160 Gb HDD, GlobalSat BU-353 GPS, iGuidance, Zippy EL-610, Panasonic CW8123B Slim Slot CDRW/DVD, 10" Lilliput, Sony XA-300, Sony CDX-MP30 Head, OBD-II

Comment

Working...
      X