Hard drive sometimes doesn't spin up on bootup

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hard drive sometimes doesn't spin up on bootup

I have one 80gb 3.5" hard drive connected to my EPoX MiniMe cpu, which sometimes doesn't spin up, leaving my PC frozen during POST. It occurs completely randomly. I've tried using an AC powersupply (the one bundled with my barebones PC) as well as my in-car OPUS 150w DC-DC, getting the same results. I also tried changing a few settings around in the Bios, regarding auto-detection of drives, still no results.

The problem happens completely randomly, sometimes the computer makes it to windows, and sometimes it doesn't forcing me to re-boot over and over until windows loads.........has anyone else experienced this problem, or know any other measures I could try to narrow this problem down?
    '03 Acura TL PC FINISHED!!
    MP3CAR

sounds like power the the hard drive is finicky... since you said you dtried it with 2 different power supplies.. i would say its on the hard drive itself...

time for a new one?
    Pentium 4m 1.5GHz|MB896|Roadie Extreme|XM-Direct|Rikaline 6010|T-View 7"|Streetdeck|160gb Western Digital|1Gb DDR2-533 Ram

Comment

That would seem logical, but in the instance that the HDD does NOT spin up, I am also unable to enter the Bios setup........leading me to believe that it's a problem with the mobo....(?)
      MP3CAR

Comment

try the drive with a different PS and MB see if it works properly for awhile.

you could also try a different drive with the MB in question
        TruckinMP3
        D201GLY2, DC-DC power, 3.5 inch SATA

Yes, you should search... and Yes, It has been covered before!

Read the FAQ!

Comment

OK....found what seems to be a little paradox here:

I installed a secondary hard drive (no OS) w/ dedicated IDE cable to the carPC mobo (now in my house for testing)....most of the time now BOTH hard drives do not spin up.......when BOTH spin up, windows loads perfectly. In no instance has only ONE hard drive spun up, its either both or nothing...

So next step i disconnected power/IDE to both hard drives, and now it passes (100% of the time) the screen where it usually freezes at giving me the "system disk failure - insert system disk and press enter"....

next, i connected ONLY the secondary drive (with no OS)......hard drive does not spin up, and in the one instance it did, i got the same message (due to no OS)

connecting ONLY the primary hard drive (with OS) gives me same problem above, but when it makes it past the screen, windows boots correctly...

to summarize, the ONLY time it passes that screen (where it usually freezes) 100% of the time, is when BOTH drives are removed/disconnected....also, when the screen freezes, i CANNOT enter the bios.....keystrokes dont work (???)

this seems like a problem with either mobo or IDE controller, what should i do next to confirm? would it be smarter to move the two carPC drives to a WORKING desktop, or move two WORKING desktop hard drives to the CarPC??
          MP3CAR

Comment

Originally posted by FiSKARZ
            this seems like a problem with either mobo or IDE controller, what should i do next to confirm? would it be smarter to move the two carPC drives to a WORKING desktop, or move two WORKING desktop hard drives to the CarPC??
            Whichever is easier, but if moving the HD's to the working pc...they'll probably work fine. If moving the working pc HD's to the car PC...you'll probably have the same problem. Like you said, seems like a Mobo problem. Did you try a different IDE cable? Check the pins at the Mobo?
            AtmosUSA.biz, E-Cig Mods
            "A great smoking alternative"

Comment

AHA!! It was the stupid IDE cable Tested using my desktop IDE cable with master/slave attachments, and both drives worked perfectly through several power-ons and offs....I guess my ide controller likes only one cable for both drives, rather than a dedicated cable for each drive..

Thanks everyone for the help!!
              MP3CAR

Comment

or you had a bad IDE cable... You know, it does happen.

Always check the cables first

Glad you figured it out
                -Jesus- King of Kings Lord of Lords

Comment

Originally posted by antimatter
                  or you had a bad IDE cable... You know, it does happen.

Always check the cables first

Glad you figured it out
                  I know its all good now, but the weird thing about what you say......is that I had TWO separate cables, one dedicated to each hard drive. With that configuration, like 9 times out of 10, NEITHER drive would spin up. I since replaced it with a 2 drive cable from memorex (master/slave).....so I dont even know what to say, besides that it works
                  MP3CAR

Comment

Working...
                  X