I need some giudance on this one

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need some giudance on this one

hey all you willing to help. i am 15 and i dont have a job so i have to do with what i have. dont worry i have a couple better comps but the one in my room right now is a p2 350. its hard drive is shot, every time i fire the comp up the hard drive makes a clicking noise and it just sits at the black dos mid-startup screen. my moms old computer has 2 hard drives. ers is a p3 450. her main hd is a 38 gig with 28 free, and her slave hd is a 19 gig with 9 free. i was wondering if i could just cut and paste the info from the slave to the main. and then take out the slave and put it in the comp i have in my room. i think that most of this plan will work but theres still a couple of things that i am unsure of.

1) dont i have to manualy switch somthing on the back of the hd so it will act as a master?

2) once i have my moms comp slave cleard of all data im going to move it up stairs, but if it doesnt have an operating system then how tdo i get one on it?

3) the slave drive is working at somthing called FAT32 and the master that i want to copy the data to is at somthing called NTFS. will i have to change the slave to NTFS if i want to copy its data to the master?

i will probably have more questions to come but i hope some of you who can understand this messed up jumble of words will respond with some helpful insight

thanks in advance for all who respond

1) yeah you have set a jumper on he HD
    2) windows xp is bootable, or use a startup disk like the old win98 disks loaded with generic cd drivers
    3)depends on the operating system, in windows xp you wont have to change anything

Comment

1) i take it ill just have to find the hd make and search up the jumper sequence

2) so i just put in a windows 98 disk when its in dos and it should run? remember the hd isnt going to have any data on it, including a os

Comment

You can just copy the files from the slave drive to the master drive in your mothers computer. I don't think you should have a problem with the two drives having different files systems, fat32, ntfs.
        When you take the slave drive from your mothers computer and have copied all the files, you should format the drive to start fresh. You will need to change the jumper on the back of the drive to either master or cable select, there should be a diagram on the back. If you use cable select you make to make sure you use the first connector on the IDE cable so it is detected as master.
        You will then need to install an operation system, I'm assuming windows. If you motherboard supports booting from cd rom change it bois and put the OS cd into the drive and restart the computer. If your motherboard does not support booting for cd rom you will have to make a boot disk, which will load all the drivers you will need to boot for the cd. Then follow instructions and you'll be done in no time.
        Installed
        Asus A7N8X-VM - AMD Mobile Athlon 2400
        512 Ram - 60GB HD - Opus 150w
        Lilliput 7" - Rikaline 6010
        [00000000000001100010-] 98% Completed

Check Out My Install!!!

Comment

Originally posted by HybridFox
          SNIP
          1) dont i have to manualy switch somthing on the back of the hd so it will act as a master?

2) once i have my moms comp slave cleard of all data im going to move it up stairs, but if it doesnt have an operating system then how tdo i get one on it?

3) the slave drive is working at somthing called FAT32 and the master that i want to copy the data to is at somthing called NTFS. will i have to change the slave to NTFS if i want to copy its data to the master?
          1) Likely, depends on the drive.
          2) depends on the OS you chose, follow the directions, example: XP will load from the CD.
          3) I think you mean Copy data from slave to master from the computer they are currently in. If this is so the OS will just copy the data.

If you can, avoid the cable select setting (pain the rear)

Have fun
          TruckinMP3
          D201GLY2, DC-DC power, 3.5 inch SATA

Yes, you should search... and Yes, It has been covered before!

Read the FAQ!

Comment

Originally posted by HybridFox
            1) i take it ill just have to find the hd make and search up the jumper sequence

2) so i just put in a windows 98 disk when its in dos and it should run? remember the hd isnt going to have any data on it, including a os
            what os are you doing to run? i meant that windows xp is a bootable cd, so if you select your cd-rom as a boot device you can boot from it by press space bar and it will start the install sequence. if you are installing win98 you need to boot to dos then install cd drivers then run the install program off the cd.

Comment

Working...
            X