Steering Wheel ADD-ON Controls w/o System

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering Wheel ADD-ON Controls w/o System

I'm pretty new to this website (I've been lurking for a couple of months) and am in the process of designing my first system. Thanks in advance for any help with the following. I couldn't find anything about this particular situation.

I have a '01 Chevy Tahoe that did not come with steering wheel remote controls. I very much want them. The '01 Denali & Escalade have the remote controls. I was planning on swapping out the steering wheel or adding on remote controls, then re-wiring with the appropriate harness, SWI-X adapter, etc. However since I've been bitten by the mp3car.com bug, I would prefer to control this feature via my CarPuter.

There was a long thread (God of CPU's) about how one could use steering wheel audio controls via the car's specific interface to a joystick game port on a PC.

MY QUESTION IS...(sorry it took so long to get here), how can I wire add-on audio control buttons directly into a CarPuter, completely bypassing the cars wiring system? Phew. Thanks again.

wire cutters and a soldering iron

Comment

Wiring Diagram

Cool. Thanks for the input. I didn't find a diagram by searching. I'm not shy about doing the soldering as long as I know what to wire to what. Any suggestions? Thanks again.

Comment

I would say to start off Buy a set of controls.

Do you have any recomendations, I would like steering wheel controls aswel.
        -Jesus- King of Kings Lord of Lords

Comment

This is going to be a good thread... I can feel it. I'd also like to have steering wheel controls.... that aren't just in a box tied to my steering wheel. I'd like it to have a factory look and feel.

Comment

Phidgets.
            PowerVoice v1 | NaviVoice Source
            GammaControl v2.4
            SKINbedder v3

1995 Lexus SC300

Comment

If you don't mind attaching a 3rd party remote to the wheel pioneer makes one that is really nice comes with their high end stereo systems and ive seen them available for seperate purchase around $35 or so at crutchfield etc. And then use IRMan to control it on the PC.

Comment

this ain't the best picture of my solution under construction, but you should get the idea...it is fully functional & awaiting cosmetic completion. the top row of buttons are all multimedia controls, short cuts & web browsing controls. there is also a 1.8" lcd being grafted in above center of keyboard for rear view monitoring. the left side behind wheel is a mouse control & behind r/s is radio controls, as I kept my head unit. they are accessable the same way say a cruise control stalk would work, if you know what i mean...

MY NEWEST INSTALL:modded infiniti fx with big screen

first windows carpc install........my liquid cooled LVDS screen :D

Comment

add-on controls purchasing info

If you want to spend around $700, call your local GM dealer for a brand spankin' new factory replacement. Otherwise, the 2nd cheapest alternative I've found are these remote controls add-ons for $219 at...

http://www.jpcustoms.com/store/custo...cat=311&page=1

I've seen just the audio remote controls, as well as brand new OEM steering wheels with audio remote controls, both for $50 on Ebay.

Nordstrom's Automotive (a seller on Ebay) has an inventory of gray leather ones with the audio remote controls and I was thinking of going that route, however after speaking to them, they told me "it looks like the base of the control is molded into the wheel so you wouldn’t get the whole switch. I cant say for sure that it would be functional once removed."

Any input...?

Comment

Another Cheap Idea

Buy a $20 usb keyboard, take the controller out of it, trace the inputs for up, down, left, right, ect...(hotkeys for winamp or whatever you use), buy the matching connector solder together and plug it in.

Now you have a $25 Gm Steeringwheel Control to USB converter using native Keyboard API; cross platform support. Other option include using a joystick controller...same concept.
                    Make something idiot proof, and they'll make a better idiot. Car modification is not just a hobby, it is a business.

Comment

im have been testing with the USB-UIRT \ Girder and a Jenson IR20 remote using RR. So far soo good, i only wish the USB-UIRT was smaller for easy install in a car
                      [M10K][TinyXP][Roadrunner Frontend][OEM Enclosure]
                      [iGmon]
                      Download MP3 MixTapes

Comment

SWC:
                        The IRman is 3"x2.7"x1", how did you install that in a position that it would pick up the Pioneer controller and also still work the HeadUnit?

Comment

car dvd with gps steering wheel control

Why waste your money for just steering wheel control radio? You can get more!
                          I bought one all-in-one double din car dvd with which comes steering wheel control, Double din dvd Navigation + 7 inch touchscreen + Bluetooth + dual zone + Steering Wheel control, total $380 to get it to be shipped in bed!
                          I'm really happy with it until now

Comment

Originally posted by saysRomeo View Post

Buy a $20 usb keyboard, take the controller out of it, trace the inputs for up, down, left, right, ect...(hotkeys for winamp or whatever you use), buy the matching connector solder together and plug it in.

Now you have a $25 Gm Steeringwheel Control to USB converter using native Keyboard API; cross platform support. Other option include using a joystick controller...same concept.
                            I like this concept. I'm actually trying to design steering wheel controls as well as stickshift controls. What I'd really like is a mouseball of some sort recessed into the steering wheel along with a few buttons. This would allow me to navigate through the OS as if I had a mouse. I'd probably put a clickable (xbox like) thumbstick on the side. I'd set up some sort of contextual menu system so I could do just about everything from that thumbstick if needed. So if I could accomplish this with some spare computer parts I already have sitting around and some time and effort that would be cool.
                            F350 Superduty 7.3L Diesel - build thread

Comment

Working...
                            X