Computer reboots during sharp curve while driving

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer reboots during sharp curve while driving

Hi I'd like to know if anyone has any idea what could be going on with my install the system will occasionaly reboot if I take a curve too sharply. My setup is pretty basic.. It's an older laptop mounted in the passenger seat with an inverter..

Any ideas???

What type of laptop is it? and does the battery still work ar all?
    My Install

Software:
    CFiG v1
    iGuidance Plugin for CF

CarShell
    Working shell for a CarPC

StopWatch
    StopWatch plugin remade for centrafuse RC1

Comment

It's an old Toshiba Satelite Pro pentium 200mhz.. The battery is dead.. Occasionly if it's charging long enough it will hold a charge for a few seconds but that is it..

Comment

being so manuvere dependent it's likely to be a loose wire somewhere. banging around on the dash a bit to see if you can repeat the power interupt
        AutoPC: M10k, WinXP, gps, wifi, 80GB HD, dvd-RW. SB mp3+
        MediaEngine front end, map monkey, netstumbler.
        gps mouse is on the fritz.....stupid technology

Comment

how is your altinator belt? I remember some the cars I used to drive the lights would dim going around a turn if the belt was worn or of the power steering was drawing to much juice. Is it possible that it is caused by a drop in power?
          My Install

Software:
          CFiG v1
          iGuidance Plugin for CF

CarShell

StopWatch

Comment

Good idea, I'll check it out.. The inverter has a low power warning beep if the voltage drops too low and I don't have power steering.

I'll bang the hell out of it and see what happens..

Comment

The only thing I could think is maybe the g-force of the curves is making the heads crash and reboot but I've not had any bad sectors yet.

Comment

how is the laptop mounted???

I doubt it is your hard drive crashing, if the heads hit the plates it would more then likely be all over for the drive. specially if it is happing often, if it is due to G force it is more likely a lose wire or short as mentioned.
                My Install

Software:
                CFiG v1
                iGuidance Plugin for CF

CarShell

StopWatch

Comment

I had the same problem with mine until my motherboard finally burned down and I replaced it with another one that didn't reboot. If it's an older laptop replacing a motherboard shouldn't be a big deal. I buy mine from eBay for $25, sometimes they even come with hard drives and batteries I have 2 motherboards partially working, one burned and one fully operational. I still haven't figured out what caused the burned one to keep restarting.
                  00 Saturn SL2, boosted @ 8 psi - CarDomain
                  Newest install - my quickest ever
                  My 2nd carputer - b4 I broke the touchscreen
                  My very first carputer - voted the most ghetto

Comment

alti: It's mounted on a wooden platform that is bolted to the chasis where the passenger seat is mounted.

Yuriy: Did you have the same exact issue with rebooting while taking sharp curves??

Comment

I believe I found the problem, it was in fact a loose ground cable that was connected to a post on the chasis with a O type connector. The connection was loose enough that a curve might have been enough to break the ground.

Comment

Fix it and go curb riding, see if it happens again =P
                        - Vorex Out

Comment

oh I did, I've been curving all over town, I'm lucky I didn't get pulled over for driving like a tard. I'm happy to report that was almost certainly the problem.

Comment

Mine reboots when I roll down left window but not when I roll up. This started after switching from 24 to 36" IDE cable. Don't ya love this hoppy? So much can go wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by mi800
                              Mine reboots when I roll down left window but not when I roll up. This started after switching from 24 to 36" IDE cable. Don't ya love this hoppy? So much can go wrong.
                              You can look at it as a cheap, readily accessible reboot button
                              Current Setup

Nexus 7 Tablet
                              Built in head unit
                              Brutus 1500Watt Amp
                              Two Boston 12" subs

2006 Infiniti M45 Sport ;) My 4 door Camaro... lol

Comment

Working...
                              X