Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange Sound Quality Problem-Could Use Some Help

Hey everyone,
    My setup is working pretty well, and sounding pretty awesome.
    It interfaces into the car stereo via a pioneer aux in adaptor box.
    I am having this strange sound quality problem though with certain notes in certain songs.. They sound "fuzzy" I guess is the best way to describe it.

Its sort of like there is this static, or fuzz overtop of the regular sound.. its probably high frequency distortion, but I haven't a clue where it might be coming from.
    It defintely effects only the higher frequencies, and it doesn't really seem noticable in all songs, just certain notes or segments in certain songs. Usually when the music is fairly quiet with high treble only.

I think its some kind of interference or something but I have no idea where to start solving the problem.

Its not related to ground noise, as I have absolutely NONE of that in my system. I can crank the volume up to max and I don't hear anything with the head unit listening to the aux In and winamp running but paused.

Any suggestions appreciated!

What bitrate are the MP3's you're playing? Try at least 192 kbps.

Comment

Otherside by the Red Hot Chilli Peppers did that to me... his voice was the exact frequency that had static... I re-downloaded the song and everything was better. Hopefully it's the mp3's

I'd also make sure everything is grounded, and that your audio cable isn't running parallel to any power cables.

------------------
      http://mp3box.2y.net
      www.arbybean.com

Comment

Could also be an impedance mismatch. I have this problem. Be sure you are using the correct unpowered output on the sound card. If not, get an impedance matcher from your local audio shop.

------------------
        Aaron Cake
        London, Ontario, Canada

Player: Cyrix 200, 32MB RAM, 10.2Gig Quantum HD, Onboard EtherNet/Sound/Video, Custom Lexan Case, Arise DC-DC, Win95 Kernal w/Custom Player
        Car: '86 Mazda RX-7 w/Basic Performance Upgrades
        Player: Pentium 166MMX, Amptron 598LMR MB w/onboard Sound, Video, LAN, 10.2 Gig Fujitsu Laptop HD, Arise 865 DC-DC Converter, Lexan Case, Custom Software w/Voice Interface, MS Access Based Playlists
        Car: 1986 Mazda RX-7 Turbo (highly modded), 1978 RX-7 Beater (Dead, parting out), 2001 Honda Insight
        "If one more body-kitted, cut-spring-lowered, farty-exhausted Civic revs on me at an intersection, I swear I'm going to get out of my car and cram their ridiculous double-decker aluminium wing firmly up their rump."

Comment

Hey cool, I will try that.

What exactly is an Impedance matcher?
          What does it do?
          I have never heard of them before.

Comment

Umm, well, it matches the impedance between the two different connections...ie. makes an 8 ohm connection compatible with a 1K connection. Without knowing more about electronics it's hard to understand. They are available from any local car audio place. They come in both passive and active form. Generally, active matchers are better, but there's nothing wrong with a good passive unit. Prices are between $10 and $250.

------------------
            Aaron Cake
            London, Ontario, Canada

Player: Cyrix 200, 32MB RAM, 10.2Gig Quantum HD, Onboard EtherNet/Sound/Video, Custom Lexan Case, Arise DC-DC, Win95 Kernal w/Custom Player
            Car: '86 Mazda RX-7 w/Basic Performance Upgrades
            Player: Pentium 166MMX, Amptron 598LMR MB w/onboard Sound, Video, LAN, 10.2 Gig Fujitsu Laptop HD, Arise 865 DC-DC Converter, Lexan Case, Custom Software w/Voice Interface, MS Access Based Playlists
            Car: 1986 Mazda RX-7 Turbo (highly modded), 1978 RX-7 Beater (Dead, parting out), 2001 Honda Insight
            "If one more body-kitted, cut-spring-lowered, farty-exhausted Civic revs on me at an intersection, I swear I'm going to get out of my car and cram their ridiculous double-decker aluminium wing firmly up their rump."

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Aaron Cake:
              Umm, well, it matches the impedance between the two different connections...ie. makes an 8 ohm connection compatible with a 1K connection. Without knowing more about electronics it's hard to understand. They are available from any local car audio place. They come in both passive and active form. Generally, active matchers are better, but there's nothing wrong with a good passive unit. Prices are between $10 and $250.

</font>
              Alright, do I need to know anything special about my setup in order to select the right one?
              Such as the impedance of the Aux input on my head unit? Is it a "one size fits all" sorta deal?

Comment

Working...
              X