No announcement yet.

Good Idea? Computer to Amp to Speakers?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good Idea? Computer to Amp to Speakers?

I have been scratching my head on how I am going to get my computer to output into my stereo because my stereo is the OEM HU for a honda civic and as some may have read in earlier post, there doesn't seem to be any way of getting aux. into the stereo.... SOOOOOooo I ask a friend how he might solve this problem and he suggested that I just run the computer's audio output into an amplifier and then hook the amp up and the stereo up to some sort of switcher so that I could switch them back and forth whenever I wanted.

So I guess my questions are... is this a good idea? Is this possible? and Does anyone have any ideas on how I should switch the stereo and the amp. Or should I just buy a new HU.. (cuz that's not a bad idea.. i'm just looking for the cheapest).

Thanks for any help.
    Hack Your Car
    www.CanBusHack.com

Does your HU have rca output?
    When I still had my deck, I used a headphone jack -> rca cord, then got 2 2into1 rca cords.

When I wanted to listen to the comp, i'd have a preset blank radio station, or just turn the volume on your HU down. Worked great.
    Good luck
    >\\MP3G60//<

Comment

You could also get a FM modulator that broadcasts the computer audio through the FM (radio). Or you could ditch the head unit all together and put an FM card in your computer.
      http://www.mp3car.com/usersites/Maveric/ M.A.V.I.C. System
      Asus MB, PII 266, 192 MB Ram, 6.8" LCD, 6 Disk CD-ROM, 21 Gig HD, All-in-Wonder Video w/ TV Tuner, Irman, Windows ME, Winamp, Cobra III -- All in a custom acrylic case.

http://www.mp3car.com/usersites/listings/ MP3car Listings - Please add to it! :)

Comment

You might have a problem adjusting the amp volume because if you adjust it too high and leave it there you might get noise...Know what I mean?
        My Install Thread
        digitaljetta.com

MKIV VW Jetta
        How do I get sound to my car?

Comment

I bought an interface from Blitzsafe for the stock stereo in my Celica. The interface has 2 RCA jacks for audio in and there's another plug that plugs into the optional CD changer jack on the back of the stereo. So all I have to do is press the "CD" button on my stereo and it switches to the aux-in.

They make all sorts of different interfaces for car stereos, so chances are they have one for the Civic too.

Comment

I don't think there is a Aux in for Honda cars. (mine doesn't)

And FM transmitter sucks, don't use it..
            I have 2 FM transmitter but never works great...

And now I am going to source switcher which i will make and feed 3 inputs and out one to Amp as chewtoy says..
            I tested it, and it workd great,

I will let you know when i am done with it..
            because i have EQ for my HU so i need to install it too, when i have time to do, i wll add switcher and all other stuff.
            (for the switcher, i bought already made on from ebay, but i want switches on dash and circuit(input output outlets) in the trunk, so, making will be more appropriate. It is not hard... )

Probably this weekend.
            Started
            <A HREF="http://www.mp3car.com/usersites/zp3/" TARGET=_blank>
            http://www.mp3car.com/usersites/zp3/</A>

Comment

helloman, what type of switcher is the best..?
              Hack Your Car
              www.CanBusHack.com

Comment

I'd recommend an A/V switcher like the ones Alpine and Clarion put out, if your looking for high-quality. You can even get EQ's that support SPDIF and TOS-LINK if you choose. Depends on your budget.

Comment

Originally posted by Fourgig:
                  <STRONG>I bought an interface from Blitzsafe for the stock stereo in my Celica. The interface has 2 RCA jacks for audio in and there's another plug that plugs into the optional CD changer jack on the back of the stereo. So all I have to do is press the "CD" button on my stereo and it switches to the aux-in.

They make all sorts of different interfaces for car stereos, so chances are they have one for the Civic too.</STRONG>
                  There is an AUX in for the '98 and higher Civic, but nobody that I know of makes an RCA-IN adapter for it.

Comment

BENT! I need to know how to do this.. it would save so much time........ There must be a way other than an amp and stuff to get AUX into an OEM stereo.. !!!!!
                    Hack Your Car
                    www.CanBusHack.com

Comment

Okay Ive actually done a **** load of research on this idea , yes it does work, however you need to look at a few things first.

The first thing is what are you hooking up to the switch? if its just your computer than that should be fine, but if your going down the playstation line then you may need to put in a rotaty pot on the line in of each line of optionally one on the line out, so that the gains comming from the different appliances dont blow your speakers.

The best way (i think) to do this is put a pot on the line in for each, get the level you want, and measure resistance over the pot, then make up a resistance circuit to match put that inline, do like wise for all the inputs.

The last thing to think of it what kind of wire does the internals of the switch use? make sure that its none of this $2 ****.
                      The box said Windows 9x or better.. so I installed Linux

There are 10 kinds of people in the world those who understand binary and those who don't.

Comment

Working...
                      X