Pentuim M on DFI Vs. Epia Worth it?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pentuim M on DFI Vs. Epia Worth it?

I have a conundrum. I have been delaying the install of my carputer waiting to save up for the right parts since august now. I finally purchased an Opus 150, Seagate HD, Panasonic slot load DVD/CDRW and Kingston 512 DDR. I already have my GPS, OBD and my albrite/controller/inverter, (which is a long story and for another thread, but going on the assumption that everything works out with the screen, I am almost there.)

I still have to buy a motherboard. For months I was under the assumption that I was going to buy an M or MII epia, but kept holding off from purchasing it. I wanted to, but kept holding myself back. While I am sure that the epia is the smart choice for power consumption, size, low heat output, price and port availability. I also know from what I have read here that they are not the fastest boards either. I am not a gamer so I just assumed it would be enough for my needs in the car, and chalked it up to the sacrifice for the low power consumption.

Then a couple of weeks ago came this

And this was already around but the only board available was a super expensive ITX option that was way out of my league.

But combined with one of the two new mATX boards it is under $500 dollars

Hmmmm.

So my question is who thinks it is worth it? There is a good 250-300 dollar difference between the epia and the Pentium M setup.

The Pentium M 2.0 only consumes 28 watts at full load, I am sure the 1.6 will be slightly less, I cannot find info on how much power the DFI consumes only that it is listed on there site as “low power”. Form what I have been reading DFI makes a good board and a overclockers dream. I few reviews have overclocked the 2.0 M to 2.8

I am especially curious to here from Epia owners in a “if I could go back and do it again light”. Knowing what you know now having had the epia what’s you take? If I decide to go with the Pentium setup it is going to delay my install yet again.

Sorry this is so long.

Thoughts
    My Install

Software:
    CFiG v1
    iGuidance Plugin for CF

CarShell
    Working shell for a CarPC

StopWatch
    StopWatch plugin remade for centrafuse RC1

Why not AMD Athlon Mobile?
    My combination cost about 190 (CPU 100, Asus mobo 75, + Tax S/H)
    2004 Matrix XR A7N8X-VM/400 AMD XP-M 2500+, DS-ATX
    89 Supra Turbo P3 [email protected]/Abit BE6 II, Alpine M-BUS Car2PC.
    Y2K Accord Dell GX150
    RoadRunner is the best FE PERIOD
    EmoRebellion is a SCAMMER

Comment

MatrixPC, I was thinking about switching from my EPIA 800 to an athlon mobile setup. What model motherboard are you using?
      EPIA 800, DWW-7VGA LCD w/Touchscreen, 256mb ram, dvd rom, ati radeon 7000 video card, 80 gb 3.5" hard drive.

Comment

I have the same setup as MatrixPC, Asus A7N8X-VM motherboard with a Mobile Athlon 2400. For me it cost less than MatrixPC, I was able to find the board for about $40.
        Installed
        Asus A7N8X-VM - AMD Mobile Athlon 2400
        512 Ram - 60GB HD - Opus 150w
        Lilliput 7" - Rikaline 6010
        [00000000000001100010-] 98% Completed

Check Out My Install!!!

Comment

Originally posted by bjm2020
          MatrixPC, I was thinking about switching from my EPIA 800 to an athlon mobile setup. What model motherboard are you using?
          Read below !
          2004 Matrix XR A7N8X-VM/400 AMD XP-M 2500+, DS-ATX
          89 Supra Turbo P3 [email protected]/Abit BE6 II, Alpine M-BUS Car2PC.
          Y2K Accord Dell GX150
          RoadRunner is the best FE PERIOD
          EmoRebellion is a SCAMMER

Comment

I will look into the athlon idea... anyone running it with a opus?
            My Install

Software:
            CFiG v1
            iGuidance Plugin for CF

CarShell

StopWatch

Comment

You can you a 35watt Mobile AMD 2500+ at 1800+ (1.1volts) and it will use 25 watts of power. Plus these chips are MUCH MUCH cheaper than the Intels.

My main right is a highly overclocked (watercooled) Mobile AthlonXP 2500+ running at 2.85GHz (~3800+) (as fast as a 3.88GHz Pentium4) 2.2volts. When I underclock it alot, I am able to run it at 0.8volts at 900MHz, and it uses about 16 watts.

Here's a link to a 2400+ Mobile (35watt). http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...103-439&depa=0
              Underclocking it would be a very effective (and cheaper) solution.

Comment

athlon Mobile suggestion seconded. Excellent processors and very robust. They come multiplier unlocked so you can give yourself a wide range of performance options. My desktop is running at 2.4ghz, but i've also run it all the way down to under 1ghz. In fact, if you use speedfan on a supported motherboard, it'll change your clockspeed on the fly, kinda like speedstepping for your car computer or desktop.

Best of all, they work on a lot of existing socket platforms.

Just make sure you get a mobo that supports undervolting; this'll help you run a lot cooler.
                Stealth OEM spyder
                1204 dot net!

Comment

Originally posted by Quattro-A4
                  I have the same setup as MatrixPC, Asus A7N8X-VM motherboard with a Mobile Athlon 2400. For me it cost less than MatrixPC, I was able to find the board for about $40.
                  Where did you get the mobo from?
                  My Celica Carputer Install

Comment

Originally posted by EBJUSTIN
                    Where did you get the mobo from?
                    www.dumpinggoods.com
                    Installed
                    Asus A7N8X-VM - AMD Mobile Athlon 2400
                    512 Ram - 60GB HD - Opus 150w
                    Lilliput 7" - Rikaline 6010
                    [00000000000001100010-] 98% Completed

Check Out My Install!!!

Comment

Thanks for all the reponses, will spend some time looking into the athlon mobile when i get home, girlfriend dragged me out shopping so I stopped in the apple store to read and post

But that does sound like a much more cost effective solution. I think the M is a great processor but if I can go AMD and it is comprible on power consuption and can be done with the opus I will go that route.
                      My Install

Software:
                      CFiG v1
                      iGuidance Plugin for CF

CarShell

StopWatch

Comment

Originally posted by alti
                        Thanks for all the reponses, will spend some time looking into the athlon mobile when i get home, girlfriend dragged me out shopping so I stopped in the apple store to read and post

But that does sound like a much more cost effective solution. I think the M is a great processor but if I can go AMD and it is comprible on power consuption and can be done with the opus I will go that route.
                        Yeah, I suggest Abit NF7-M (has onboard video; or ofcource the NF7-S if you plan to use a graphics card) with AthlonXP 2400+ 35w mobile. That shoud run fine with the opus.

Comment

how fast do these kind of setups boot? i'm looking for a new motherboard/CPU to run on my opus 150 and i'm looking for something that boots super fast, shortest BIOS/POST time and of course fast windows boot/hibernate times
                          Signature: [==||========] 20% complete

Comment

Originally posted by Nico3k
                            Yeah, I suggest Abit NF7-M (has onboard video; or ofcource the NF7-S if you plan to use a graphics card) with AthlonXP 2400+ 35w mobile. That shoud run fine with the opus.
                            ATX form factor is too big for me, I intend on installing in my glove box. What do you think of of the VA-10?

Planning on useing the onboard video unless it causes problems, but I think with 512 RAM I should be ok. I dont think the voltages are ajustible on this board though, check my math on the power consumption though i think i should be fine

processor - 35 watts
                            seagate 7200 rpm <= 30 watts
                            dvd/CDRW <= 30 watts
                            figure on 4 or 5 USB @ 5 a piece - 25 watts
                            DDR RAM - 10 watts

I am up to 130 watts not counting the mobo and onboard video and audio.

Anyone know what the power comsuption usually is on mATX boards useing onboard video and sound?

thanks
                            My Install

Software:
                            CFiG v1
                            iGuidance Plugin for CF

CarShell

StopWatch

Comment

Working...
                            X