Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where is everyone mounting their CD/DVD-ROM?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where is everyone mounting their CD/DVD-ROM?

Hey guys. I'm going to be installing my carputer prototype soon, but I've got a question... Where is everyone installing their CD/DVD-ROM in their ride?? Every setup I've seen online has the disk drive installed in the computer... which is located in the trunk. Or, they've gutted out their rear seats and built a massive wall just for their PC to stick out of. That ain't gonna' fly for me. I can't install a computer case in my rear seats, and I also can't have my disk drive in the trunk area. Trying to switch out DRV-MS recorded TV DVD disks or popping in my girl's drum 'n' bass CDs is going to make the carputer look like a real joke to people if I have to stop the car to access the rear.

Any suggestions?? I'm hoping there are some people out there who have found a solution to this. I've got some ideas for a PC installed in the trunk and an extended external USB disk drive installed in the front cab area, if anyone's curious. (I hope this isn't going to be one of those threads with useless, spammer replys.)

How about not mounting it? Just get a USB external drive and keep it in storage until you need it.
    Chrysler 300 - Fabricating
    http://hallert.net/

Comment

Not a bad thought man. But I'm going to need this drive accessible quite a bit, going from playing passenger's audio CDs, to loading in DVR data DVDs, playing downloaded AVI movies, playing normal DVDs to even burning CDs for people.

An external USB drive seams the way to go, so let me ask a question to everyone... I'll be using a STR (suspend to RAM) motherboard directly connected (always on) to my battery. Using an external disk drive, if I hook the drive's power supply to my car's running power (which gets turned off), will that cause Windows XP hiccups or worst when the PC wakes up from stand by after the car's started (and the drive's been turned back on)?

I LOVE the fact that ME is so good at resuming audio or video out of stand by when playing it from a disk. If a USB drive is turned off after a PC's in stand by, and then the USB drive turned back on before the PC wakes up, will that cause any hiccups? Or will it work just fine? (never tried something like that)

Also, anybody know of a sexy, slim CD-RW/DVD or CD/DVD-RW usb drive they'd recommend? (yeah, I'm a sucker for sexy things)

Comment

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...threadid=37922

Comment

Slimline notebook drives seem rather easy to hide. If you don't want to mess up your dash, the things only require a slot 6" long. You'll have to dig a hole behind the dash, but it's never visible, so who'd notice?

The computer will likely notice that the external USB drive is disconnected when power is shut off. Windows tends to handle things like that rather elegantly.

You have a V12 Jag? Your priorities are all messed up - just drive....
          http://www.jeepmp3.com/
          CarPC Stolen. Starting over.
          Ne1 recognize the avatar?

Comment

I'm mounting mine on top of my screen. Its actually a very good place because my dash curves at that place, and the Xenarc would not fit, so moving it down a bit and putting the slimline on top is the best for my car
            PowerVoice v1 | NaviVoice Source
            GammaControl v2.4
            SKINbedder v3

1995 Lexus SC300

Comment

I'm building a custom mount that will allow me to use a switch to flip my xenarc forward and reveil the slim slot dvd drive behind it
              Aut cum scuto, aut in scuto

Comment

My car had a stock din and a half headunit, so I removed it and made a new bracket for a 1 din headunit with the CD mounted under it.
                It's the cake having/eating thing.

Comment

Hey, thanX for the fast replies guys. First of all, thanX eggeekial for the forum link. Very, very informative.

And PatO; yeah, a slim notebook drive does sound pretty hot. Even if it's not installed into the dash, that little baby's so small it could easily fit in-between your center consol and seat as a very temporary, but stealth looking solution. And yeah, I've got a V-12 Jaguar, although this carputer isn't for it. I'm going to be going to college for 3D animation sometime next year, so to keep the baby in the family, I've designed to give it to my mother (lucky her) and try buyin' somethin' like a 3000GT, that is better on gas and I can put miles on. (my 86' XJS only has 71K original, bought it with 41K) Although, almost four years ago, back when TVs and DVDs in the car were just unheard of, I did a custom install of a TV mounted in the glove box that "transforms" outward when you open the glove box door. You're right about the priorities. The DVD player in the Jaguar was mainly for those late night hourly trips to Ybor City (Tampa, Fl.) If you wanna' see, here's a picture of her. (this was about 4 years ago, before the Xenons were installed)

Oh, 'n' Ol33l, I enjoyed your input on the forum link above. Sorry to hear your Sport Coupe got messed up... but imagine what the guy though you hit you, "Ahh *****... I just had to hit a Lexus of all the cars in this lot." Hehehe...

I'll leave you guys with a little advice, or food for thought... As far as getting the factory, "built-in" look of a CD-ROM (or "stealth" look, which I'm going for), the absolute best CD-ROM option would be a slot loading (car stereo type loading) CD-ROM, as you could literally almost install this baby in-between the gaps of your dash panels / pieces, or atlest only have to cut out the smallest of slits for the CD to load. (so small you'll probably have to put an arrow "disk here" to let people know where to load it) That's all fine and everything... but when was the last time you saw any of these drives been produced? And more importantly, are there any combo or DVD-RWs out there? As far as I know, the answer is; slim to anorexic.

Comment

After I build my carpc, the dvdrom or whatever I decide on will be firewire'd to the underneath of my driver's seat. Later on down the road, I hope to build a nice removable enclosure for my touchscreen which reveals a dvdrom behind it.
                    http://www.cardomain.com/id/seanklsc

Comment

Yeh, but I don't have the nicest car on the lot. We have this old benz () like 3 bimmers, 2 lexi, some toyotas, and some VWs. $1350 estimate for repairs, without even having a new bumper or fender Damn old ford explorers with their metal bumpers

Were to get slotloading DVD
                      Originally posted by Serial Thrilla

Oh, 'n' Ol33l, I enjoyed your input on the forum link above. Sorry to hear your Sport Coupe got messed up... but imagine what the guy though you hit you, "Ahh *****... I just had to hit a Lexus of all the cars in this lot." Hehehe...

I'll leave you guys with a little advice, or food for thought... As far as getting the factory, "built-in" look of a CD-ROM (or "stealth" look, which I'm going for), the absolute best CD-ROM option would be a slot loading (car stereo type loading) CD-ROM, as you could literally almost install this baby in-between the gaps of your dash panels / pieces, or atlest only have to cut out the smallest of slits for the CD to load. (so small you'll probably have to put an arrow "disk here" to let people know where to load it) That's all fine and everything... but when was the last time you saw any of these drives been produced? And more importantly, are there any combo or DVD-RWs out there? As far as I know, the answer is; slim to anorexic.
                      PowerVoice v1 | NaviVoice Source
                      GammaControl v2.4
                      SKINbedder v3

1995 Lexus SC300

Comment

got a dvd+-rw dual layer 16x ide mounted in the dash where the radio use to be.
                        The MC of Florida Car PC Meets
                        CAR:2001 Ford Crown Victoria
                        PC: Acer EEE 900HA with Win7 with CF 2.0.
                        Memory:1G
                        Drives:160gig
                        WI-FI:Cingular
                        GPS:IG2k9
                        Screen:Xenarc 700TSV
                        The Florida Meets Thread

Comment

Awesome

Originally posted by john1701
                          got a dvd+-rw dual layer 16x ide mounted in the dash where the radio use to be.
                          Where is your carputer located? How did you power the drive? How did you extend the ide cable running from the drive to the carputer?

Comment

Originally posted by tadrian2
                            Where is your carputer located? How did you power the drive? How did you extend the ide cable running from the drive to the carputer?
                            Best way to hook up your drive is using an ide to firewire adapter. USB2 is ok but firewire is best for sustained transfer rate. Extending IDE cables is asking for trouble and yes it has been done successfully but an ide cable, even a round one is much bigger than firewire or usb and this harder to route through your car.

Comment

i have it mounted in the dash above the pedals behind the guages. Using a 36 inch ide cable.
                              The MC of Florida Car PC Meets
                              CAR:2001 Ford Crown Victoria
                              PC: Acer EEE 900HA with Win7 with CF 2.0.
                              Memory:1G
                              Drives:160gig
                              WI-FI:Cingular
                              GPS:IG2k9
                              Screen:Xenarc 700TSV
                              The Florida Meets Thread

Comment

Working...
                              X