No announcement yet.

Does anyone know of a UNIX MP3 player??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone know of a UNIX MP3 player??

I am able to get a largeish quantity of UNIX boxes, is there any reason why I couldn't use these for MP3 plaYERS?? Do they have sound, or can you buy soundcards for them???
    They are SCSI and therefore would be more expensive to buy large drives for, but I don't mind..

Also, do LINIX programs run on UNIX boxes??

[ 10-22-2001: Message edited by: SkinnyBoy ]

http://www.mpg123.de/

Rob
    Old Systems retired due to new car
    New system at design/prototype stage on BeagleBoard.

Comment

Skinny,
      What do you mean by Unix boxes?
      are the X86 (386,486, Pentium or AMD)
      or are they Sparc or Alpha?
      or are they a proprietary Processor?
      I believe mpg123 will run on any unix it is compiled for, but the computer has the have the power to play the mp3s.
      Linux will run on many different Proccesors, any X86, Sparc, Alpha, PPC, and its even been ran on a dreamcast. FreeBSD will run on even more, theres a list of like 30 different proccesors its been compiled on.
      If you got your hands on a few sparc or Alpha boxes, consider yourself a lucky lucky little boy. If they are x86, look on the Mobo, and you may find IDE lines. They also could be PPC, because they just use Scsi (same as Sparc and Alpha), which means you could run MacOS aswell.
      Clarion 200watt head unit w/ Aux in.
      Kicker 800watt 4 channel amp
      In a 96 Grand Prix SE.

Comment

http://www.xmms.org
        Custom Linux system on an '89 VW GTI 16V Edition One
        Jogdial volume control, Sony joystick, IR remote...
        Used to be the fastest Linux on the road, until all these NOS types came along...

Comment

cajun is a linux mp3car setup

software witten for unix, think is just uses an lcd, but a menu, like press 1 for ...

Comment

Well, I don't think it is a 386, 486, 586 or pentium...
            So, therefore it wouldn't have a IDE port, right, well I don't actually have one yet, but when I get one, I will give you more info and hopefully you can give me more help, thanx....

Comment

Oms, Paulzy, I hate to break it to you guys, but you don't know jack about Unix. Xmms will only run in a X11 environment, which probably won't help Skinny Much yet, and Cajun is for Linux, not Unix, Big difference.
              Skinny: Get me some info, and I'll be more than glad to help you out.
              In a 96 Grand Prix SE.

Comment

"Don't know jack" my a**. Hey lstrunk - I've been coding all sorts of stuff for nothing but Unixen for longer than I can remember, so pick your words with a little more care, OK? :P

And if you really want to know, xmms doesn't require a proper X11 session at all. Just run it with a virtual frame buffer X server, and use the command line (or the Xmms::Remote perl module, available from CPAN) to control it. That's the way I've got my box set up, and believe me, it works just fine.

As to whether any of this will or won't help our friend Skinny, well...
                Used to be the fastest Linux on the road, until all these NOS types came along...

Comment

i dont remember saying i knew heeps or anything bout it.

so flame me i dont care

Comment

Originally posted by PaulzY:
                    <STRONG>cajun is a linux mp3car setup
                    </STRONG>

Comment

Paulzy, EXACTLY!!! He said UNIX. NOT LINUX!
                      I'm sorry though.
                      And Oms, I'm sorry, I meant that it normally needs X11, not that it couldn't be ran from the command line, and I was dumbing it down for Skinny.
                      I didn't mean to flame anyone. I just go off the hook sometimes without realizing it. I have a wierd personality, and some stupid simple little things sometimes set me off.
                      In a 96 Grand Prix SE.

Comment

Hmmm...
                        so what opperating system do I use???
                        Do I have to recompile linix, or can you buy unix, or what??
                        I have no Idea what I am taling about...

Comment

If they are sparc or alpha, you can get linux for them. If they are x86, you can aswell.
                          With the Sparc or Alpha, you will have to download it yourself and burn the .iso.
                          IF its anything else, you have to use BSD, unless it comes with a Unix already installed or something.
                          In a 96 Grand Prix SE.

Comment

all these talks about unix/linux....well u all know (lstrunk) where i stand with it. OMS, i really want to see some pics of ur app and what it can do....
                            Oms, Paulzy, I hate to break it to you guys, but you don't know jack about Unix. Xmms will only run in a X11 environment, which probably won't help Skinny Much yet, and Cajun is for Linux, not Unix,Big difference.
                            Skinny: Get me some info, and I'll be more than glad to help you out.
                            lstrunk, i see you are still at it eh
                            abcd-1
                            Author of CobraI,II,III and now CobraIV.
                            You can contact me on AOL instant messenger....nick is cenwesi or cenwesi3

Comment

all these talks about unix/linux....well u all know (lstrunk) where i stand with it. OMS, i really want to see some pics of ur app and what it can do....
                              Hmm Charles, where do you stand with it? I, for one, don't know.

Personally, I think Linux runs circles around Windows, but there's two major problems: (a) you have to learn a hell of a lot about it to get anywhere; and (b) I don't know of any GPS+navigation solutions, and I'm not crazy enough to write my own. But as far as music is concerned, a Perl app is perfect - you can make it do anything you like. My main concern was the interface - it had to be as easy to use as a regular head unit, since I don't want to wrap my GTI around a tree every time I'm looking for some particular track or album - so I didn't see any alternative than to make my own. Now it's all so seamless in use, that I've had non-techie types drive around with me for hours, before asking me where I got this interesting-looking head unit from.

I'll post some recent pics once I borrow a digital camera somewhere. Here's some pics from a year ago (I hadn't inverted the LCD yet, and many features have been added since then, such as an album catalog & artist index browser).

The rotary knob controls volume - bass - mids - treble - fader:

An interface to XMMS's software equalizer:

Album list (new version has a browsable album tree, grouped by genre/artist):

Normal playback screen. The titles scroll horizontally; the spectrum analyzer gets its data out of an XMMS plug-in:

A nice little remote I found on eBay. I have one of those $5 Fastmedia receivers, mounted behind the rear-view mirror:

But in fact I hardly ever use the remote. I have a Sony joystick controlling the app as well, and the joystick + rotary knob is a lot more convenient since I can do everything by touch:

Next, I plan to switch to a 128x64 VFD - the LCD sucks in bright daylight. I'm also developing some sound-processing patches for the DSP on the SB Live card, to provide stuff like pathlength compensation for the front speakers, and surround sound processing (i.e. adding room echoes and reverbs).

So, did I hear anyone say linux is not a suitable mp3 platform?

(BTW, lstrunk - it's all right, no offense taken. I'm not known for my tact either.)

Comment

Working...
                              X