Using Wirelss LAN in car...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using Wirelss LAN in car...

When I was planning my carputer project, I decided to put a DVD-ROM drive in order to transfer the new Mp3 files to the car in rewritable discs and the passengers to be able to watch movies.
    I turned out that burning the CDs, copying them in the car's HDDs and updating the playlists is very hard and time consuming (using X10's mouse remote and a 5.6" screen!). It's also pretty hard to do many other software adjustments and the usual maintenance in the car.
    That's why desided to use LAN for this job. The normal (wired) LAN adapters where out of question since I live in the city, in the 5th floor and I don't find always a parking space for my car under my apartment. I already had two Lucent's Orinoco PC cards (one on a PCI acapter in my home's desktop) so I went out and bought D-Link's USB 11Mbps adapter, velcroed it behind the back winshield and set up an Ad-hoc connection between them.
    Now, it's much easier to do all this stuff and since I get very good reception at least in a 200m radious around my home, while I am trying to park when I get back from work, I am moving in the car all the songs I downloaded when I was away.

Dimitris

P.S.: I am using Symantec's PcAnywhere for this job - very nice and easy software.

[ 10-23-2001: Message edited by: Dimitris1976 ]

This is something that I also want to do, but there is a long list of "things to do" before I get to this. My basic idea is to put a wireless card in my server at home, and then one in the car. Every 10 seconds or so, the player tries to ping the server. Naturally, unless I am in the driveway the ping will timeout. However, once I get close enough to the server, the ping will go through. The player will then wait a few more seconds, and try a few more pings to make sure the connection is solid. When it is, it will log into the server (an NT domain running TCP/IP) and through a standard file share, automatically copy any new MP3s to itself. Those MP3s would just be placed into a directory called something like "Copy To Car". The player software will be "dumb", and just blindly copy anything in that directory to the MP3s partition on the it's HD. At the same time, it will copy over a new version of the database that contains all the songs and playlists. It's a simple idea really.

But as I said, this is a long way off. I have more important matters to attend to first.
    Player: Pentium 166MMX, Amptron 598LMR MB w/onboard Sound, Video, LAN, 10.2 Gig Fujitsu Laptop HD, Arise 865 DC-DC Converter, Lexan Case, Custom Software w/Voice Interface, MS Access Based Playlists
    Car: 1986 Mazda RX-7 Turbo (highly modded), 1978 RX-7 Beater (Dead, parting out), 2001 Honda Insight
    "If one more body-kitted, cut-spring-lowered, farty-exhausted Civic revs on me at an intersection, I swear I'm going to get out of my car and cram their ridiculous double-decker aluminium wing firmly up their rump."

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron Cake:
      <STRONG>This is something that I also want to do, but there is a long list of "things to do" before I get to this. My basic idea is to put a wireless card in my server at home, and then one in the car. Every 10 seconds or so, the player tries to ping the server. Naturally, unless I am in the driveway the ping will timeout. However, once I get close enough to the server, the ping will go through. The player will then wait a few more seconds, and try a few more pings to make sure the connection is solid. When it is, it will log into the server (an NT domain running TCP/IP) and through a standard file share, automatically copy any new MP3s to itself. Those MP3s would just be placed into a directory called something like "Copy To Car". The player software will be "dumb", and just blindly copy anything in that directory to the MP3s partition on the it's HD. At the same time, it will copy over a new version of the database that contains all the songs and playlists. It's a simple idea really.

But as I said, this is a long way off. I have more important matters to attend to first.</STRONG>
      Try this program with the batch file below.

-=Begin ALIVE.BAT=-
      @echo off
      REM Usage: ALIVE.BAT server ip or servername (if resolvable). Alternatively you can replace "%1" below with the IP or name of the server and simply use "ALIVE.BAT" to execute.

:begin
      alive /repeat=1 /timeout=1 %1 > nul
      if ERRORLEVEL 1 goto frick
      echo %1 is pingable.
      goto end

:frick
      echo %1 is NOT pingable.
      goto begin

:end
      exit
      -=End ALIVE.BAT=-

Replace "echo %1 is pingable." with your copy commands. For example:

net use x: \\server\share /user:username password > nul
      xcopy /e x:\downloadme\*.* c:\somefolder > nul
      xcopy /e x:\downloadme\*.* x:\inthecar > nul
      deltree /y x:\downloadme\*.* > nul
      net use x: /del > nul

Although I this should work as listed above, I haven't taken the time to fully test it as I've just whipped this out. I'm certain that you get the gist of it. If not, let me know and I'll try to answer any questions.

I do use ALIVE.EXE for a variety of functions and know it to be stable on W2K and XP. I haven't tested it on 9x yet.

Comment

Whoops. That's what I get for being up so early...below is the correct "frick" section of the batch file.

:frick
        echo %1 is NOT pingable.
        goto end

Oh yeah...just use AT.EXE (on NT/W2K/XP) to execute ALIVE.BAT it as often as you wish. Alternatively, if you are on 9x, use a different sceduling program. There are many to be found on the net...who knows, that built-in one may even work.

Comment

That would work, but I already have some code in VB to check to see if a server exists. I will be incorporating it into my player software.
          Player: Pentium 166MMX, Amptron 598LMR MB w/onboard Sound, Video, LAN, 10.2 Gig Fujitsu Laptop HD, Arise 865 DC-DC Converter, Lexan Case, Custom Software w/Voice Interface, MS Access Based Playlists
          Car: 1986 Mazda RX-7 Turbo (highly modded), 1978 RX-7 Beater (Dead, parting out), 2001 Honda Insight
          "If one more body-kitted, cut-spring-lowered, farty-exhausted Civic revs on me at an intersection, I swear I'm going to get out of my car and cram their ridiculous double-decker aluminium wing firmly up their rump."

Comment

Bonus. Good luck with it.

Comment

I sort of have that in my current setup. I setup a wireless LAN in my area. (And I mean a BIG area.) I have a Linksys wireless router connect to an amplified antenna. Needless its is "illegal" but I can drive ten miles from my house and still get 10mbps to transfer/access the internet from the carputer.

--Ashlawn Kemling

Comment

Originally posted by Ashlawn Kemling:
                <STRONG>I sort of have that in my current setup. I setup a wireless LAN in my area. (And I mean a BIG area.) I have a Linksys wireless router connect to an amplified antenna. Needless its is "illegal" but I can drive ten miles from my house and still get 10mbps to transfer/access the internet from the carputer.

--Ashlawn Kemling</STRONG>
                Really ? Sounds interesting. So don't you mean you have 2 amplified antennas? I know 802.11b very well because I worked on an ASIC core that handles 802.11b. How did you get around the data skew problem? Refresh my memory .. what is the transmit frequency again?

An analog linear amp would cause too much data skew .. so you must be using a D type amp (so does it process on the rising edge of the clock, or falling? .. also, how do you know when the data is valid?)

This is a VERY complicated amplifier to build.
                -James-

Tech tips and more - http://www.techguys.ca

*NIX command for today: rm -rf /bin/laden

Comment

Uh, why would you want to sync MP3s 10 miles from your house? Wait a sec....that's 16 KM....Uh, no offence, but I don't believe you.

Comment

do you have skematics (bhah i cant spell) for the amp? it would be extremely convenient to be able to use my home network at school!
                    "if everything is under control, you're not going fast enough!"

Comment

this is the biggest bunch of crap i have ever heard...10mbps over 10 miles????????? are you kidding? thats insane, and also impossible. If that could be done, 56k modems wouldnt exist.
                      Computer:

FV24
                      custom plexi case
                      p3 650

6.4 lcd

everything working...except stupid lcd isnt working with shuttle board

Comment

I believe him, If you ever check into semi-commercial antennas and amps you can get up to 30 miles if you point two at each other and their stationary with line of site.
                        ------2000 S-10 Xtreme----------
                        BookPC 433 5.6" LCD
                        128mb ATI AIW
                        18gb Laptop HD DVD
                        GPS TV
                        Wireless Internet
                        Wireless LAN
                        ***VIDEO SURVEILLANCE***

AIM: Kinnish0 (Drop me a line)
                        KinnishXtreme( IN CAR SN)

Link To My XtremePC2001 Page
                        Pic's of Install Here

Comment

Doesn't that mean that you could have an entire network of friends all about 15km away from each other and have a "grid type setup and be able to acsess peoples computers from 100s of KMs away???

Comment

The only way you can establish a link at this range (even at foldback 1Mbps rate) is with the use of highly directional (>18-20dB) antennas, with very narrow radiating lobes, accurately facing each other, at clear line of sight and short antenna cable runs to minimize losses (which are very high at this frequency - even using very good quality cable). If you can't have a short feeding cable (antenna on the roof), you have to use an in-line bi-directional amplifier (amplifier-preamplifier)at the antenna mast. These ampifiers are legaly rated up to 500mW and they cost at least US$500 (the cheapest I 've found).
                            This practically makes imposible to use the WLAN in a moving car (with the use of ground plane omni-directional antennas at base and on the car). Keep in mind, that higher power outputs at these frequencies could be dangerous to your health (it's already dangerous at legal power levels to sit in front of a transmitting directional antenna - your brain is gonna boil in it's CSF, as if in a microwave oven).
                            If you wanna build a DIY 1Watt bi-directional amplifier and a high gain directional antenna for a point to point long range network, check these sites out:
                            http://www.qsl.net/n9zia/wireless/appendixD.html
                            http://users.bigpond.net.au/jhecker/

Dimitris

[ 10-26-2001: Message edited by: Dimitris1976 ]

[ 10-26-2001: Message edited by: Dimitris1976 ]

Comment

If you refer to my above post, you will realize that I was mentioning how it would be impossible for you to have 10mb access from 10Mi (16Km) without the use of some VERY expensive equipment.

Frankly, this is a load of ****. I worked as a wireless design engineer and as I have stated, I have an intimate knowledge of 802.11b

Dimitris, not everybody here swallos without chewing. Do remember, there are some technologically brilliant people here.
                              -James-

Tech tips and more - http://www.techguys.ca

*NIX command for today: rm -rf /bin/laden

Comment

Working...
                              X