Need some electronics help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some electronics help

Im making my IR receiver right now, I was supposed to get a 100mA 5V regulator. But I could on find a 1A 5V reg
    http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...%5Fid=276-1770

will this still work?

come on where are the EE's? :T

Comment

1A 5V is more than enough, there is no regular that's rate for that little current.
      2006 Camry
      Compaq Laptop
      Holux GPS Iguidance 3.0
      7" Xenarc Touch Screen
      Carnetix 1900 Power Supplied, Wireless b/g

Comment

It will work just fine.
        Originally posted by ghettocruzer
        I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
        Want to:
        -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
        -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

1 amp could end up roasting it

What is it for? 1000Ma or 1 amp could end up roasting it depending on what it is.

Squid has a nice regulator circuit HERE that I have used extensively for my PSU needs and it works great mine is set at 9 Volts (adjusting R2) and 200Ma (Via R1) and yes you can go that low in amps.

In the schematic you would need to replace R1 with a resistor rated at 1 watt and the value would need to be some where between 9 and 10 Ohms to output 100Ma use a multimeter set to DC AMPS to ensure it is really outputing 100Ma or close to it.
          In progress Carputer [////////||] IWill ZPCgx: P4 2.40Ghz, 512Meg, 40Gb, Xenarc 7" TSV, 5 1/4 slot DVD, 802.11g DWL-G132, Ebay BU-303 USB GPS, TMobile GPRS Internet, Custom made power controller.

HU-Alpine CDA-7897 Fantom Face XL AM/FM CD/MP3 Receiver.

Comment

its for my IR receiver
            they didnt have 100mA 5v so I figured I should get the 1A 5V and see what you guys think.
            heres the schematic if it helps anyone come to a conclusion for me:
            http://www.lirc.org/images/schematics.gif

Comment

Originally posted by Deviser
              What is it for? 1000Ma or 1 amp could end up roasting it depending on what it is.
              It shouldn't, unless I've got my electronics mixed up. The voltage is akin to water pressure. Essentially, how fast the power can move. The amperage is the amount of electricity that COULD move, kind of like the diameter of the hose.

In this case, 1 amp is not how much power moves when you hook it up. It's the maximum that COULD be supplied if the electrical device demanded it. In this case, it only needs a very small amount of power.

It won't fry it. What would fry it is if you got the wrong voltage, not amperage.
              I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
              Want to:

Comment

yes that sounds right, but if the amps are too high will i need to provide more power? using the anology it like using a huge pipe for a few drops off water. would it matter?

Comment

This type of circuit is getting power from the serial port so you are only dealing with MA in this case.

The circuit I showed you does not apply to this.
                  You may be able to use the a standard 7805 or you can order what is shown in the schematic and any other parts you may need from Mouser HERE or Digikey
                  In progress Carputer [////////||] IWill ZPCgx: P4 2.40Ghz, 512Meg, 40Gb, Xenarc 7" TSV, 5 1/4 slot DVD, 802.11g DWL-G132, Ebay BU-303 USB GPS, TMobile GPRS Internet, Custom made power controller.

HU-Alpine CDA-7897 Fantom Face XL AM/FM CD/MP3 Receiver.

Comment

You should be able to buy the 78L05 regulator everywhere. If you can't find any place that sell them, PM me your address I'll send you one for free only if you are in the States. I bought a bag like 5 or 6 of them for a buck 50 and only use 2 or 3.
                    I am not sure if you can use 7805 because the serial port may not be able to supply enough power for it.
                    Your other option is check this guy out http://www.cesko.host.sk/. He is the author of the plug in you are going to use with Girder. He use a 5.1Volt zender diode instead of the 78L05. His circuit and the LIRC circuit is very similar.
                    2004 Matrix XR A7N8X-VM/400 AMD XP-M 2500+, DS-ATX
                    89 Supra Turbo P3 [email protected]/Abit BE6 II, Alpine M-BUS Car2PC.
                    Y2K Accord Dell GX150
                    RoadRunner is the best FE PERIOD
                    EmoRebellion is a SCAMMER

Comment

Originally posted by Tred
                      yes that sounds right, but if the amps are too high will i need to provide more power? using the anology it like using a huge pipe for a few drops off water. would it matter?
                      No problem. The analogy only goes so far. A milliamp is 1/1000th of an amp (.001) 100 milliamps is .1 amps. Your device can supply 1 full amp if necessary. But it won't be. You're fine if you go with this method.
                      Want to:

Comment

thanks

Comment

Not to sound obnoxious but I am an electronic engineer and a device will only draw as much current as it wants. If you had a device that draws 50mA, you could have a 10000 amp regulator (if such a device existed) and your device will still only draw the same amount as with a 100mA regulator.

Ohms law states the Voltage(V) = Current(I) x Resistance(R). Therefore I=V/R. In simple terms the amount of current that a device draws is based on it's internal resistance. So you can see that if you are not changing the input voltage or the internal resistance there is no way for cyrrent to increase.

As long as your regulator can supply MORE current that your device then you are fine.

Comment

Another simple explaination that might help is that you can have a 12volt plugpack in your house that can supply say 1Amp. You also have your 12v car battery that can supply a couple of hundred amps. A device that works fine with the plugpack is not going to blow up just becuase you connect it to your car battery, it will be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Deviser
                              What is it for? 1000Ma or 1 amp could end up roasting it depending on what it is..
                              Rubbish!
                              [QUOTE=Deviser]
                              In the schematic you would need to replace R1 with a resistor rated at 1 watt and the value would need to be some where between 9 and 10 Ohms to output 100Ma use a multimeter set to DC AMPS to ensure it is really outputing 100Ma or close to it
                              Rubbish! - you clearly dont understand what you are talking about!

How about we post good info for people who need to know, not information that is partially or compeltely incorrect!
                              (Rant/flame over)

Comment

Working...
                              X