switching audio amps from pc?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• switching audio amps from pc?

going to go without a headunit and use 3 amps. the amps have +12v, ground and remote power connections. to turn them on they need a +12v feed into the remote terminal. as i want them to turn on and off with the pc the only idea i have so far is to cut into a usb cable and use the 5v to flick a realy which then feeds 12v to the amp. q is will feeding from usb via a realy then to ground damage my laptop or will it drain power from my other usb sockets (on a powered hub) or is there a better way of doing this? thanks!
    PB 2.0Ghz, 20GB, 512mb, XPpro. 300GB Usb HDD, Griffin pwrmate, m-audio audiophile fw. BU-353 gps. 2x100w sony amps, 1x150w JBL sub amp, MBQuart front components, 6x9 rear, 10" sub. Audiocontrol epcienter, esp2, 3xs. Clifford G5, Finished, fitted, problems

I also want to know how to do this... I was thinking i could cut into a 12v feed off my power supply but then thought about grounding as there is no ground for the remote.

So any ideas would be great.

Comment

my amps dont need a ground for the removei the amp is wired to a permetly live +/- 12v supply. to turn it on you need a live feed to the remote which must use the amps ground. just need to get a switched feed from my laptop..
      PB 2.0Ghz, 20GB, 512mb, XPpro. 300GB Usb HDD, Griffin pwrmate, m-audio audiophile fw. BU-353 gps. 2x100w sony amps, 1x150w JBL sub amp, MBQuart front components, 6x9 rear, 10" sub. Audiocontrol epcienter, esp2, 3xs. Clifford G5, Finished, fitted, problems

Comment

Why not use the 12V, yellow on the drive connector for remote amp turn on? This wire only have power when the PC is on. USB may or may not have power when the PC is off.
        2004 Matrix XR A7N8X-VM/400 AMD XP-M 2500+, DS-ATX
        89 Supra Turbo P3 [email protected]/Abit BE6 II, Alpine M-BUS Car2PC.
        Y2K Accord Dell GX150
        RoadRunner is the best FE PERIOD
        EmoRebellion is a SCAMMER

Comment

you can use a serial port connection for this, I think pin 3 (not 100%) comes up with 12v once the pc is booted, but i think the serial port is initialised by the bios, then when windows loads its driver, so you might get a two event power up if you follow my logic, I would invest in a smallish relay that goes to a closed circuit feeding your amps and let the serial port open / close the relay when its booted, might need a capacitor or two to smooth out the two events, but other than that its a simple circuit, or else use the 12v from the molex connector
          Nano ITX / 512 MB / 60 GB / Panasonic slot load / M1-ATX / Bu303 / Sound blaster 24 / PPi amps / rockford sub

Comment

what i meant by the grounding is would it work to ground my 12v from my pc to the amps earth as the remote grounds with the amp... Doesnt seem very sensible to me but maybe it works

Comment

For the serial port stuff, for DTR

Comment

i am using a laptop so i have only got usb ports, no yellow wire or serial ports! i am going to hack into a usb cable to see what happens when the pc is on, in standby and off.. will let you know what catches fire..

Comment

What's wrong with using the regular ignition remote from the car, as used with the HU?
                  I use the same cable to control my ITPS.
                  Finished!
                  pc 99% - install 100% - audio 100%

Comment

Bingo

Comment

i don't have a head unit-only the pc- and use the 12v wire from the ps to trigger my amps and everything else. works fine.
                      99.9% complete.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/212327

Comment

What about a docking station? Or one of those USB > SERIAL?

Comment

I purchased a prefab driving light wiring harness with a relay from Autozone for $10 and hooked it up to the PC 12V rail + & Gnd on the low amperage trigger side. For the high amperage side I ran 12V+ to the key/acc, and Gnd to the chassis. Last I connected 12V switched side to the signal port on the amps and EQ unit. This way when the computer is on, the amps and EQ power up, but it is still completely isolated from the PC.

Comment

Working...
                          X