HDD suspension

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HDD suspension

Anyone have any GOOD HDD suspension systems?

I am working on one (I haven't finished the machining)that should work well but it's kinda bulky, the hdd will have enough travel to smooth out the about the wildest ride, sill fit in a mini tower, and is fairly open for plenty of cooling

Q: any one know of a high quality ultra ATA IDE cable (80 wire) that will stand up to alot of flexing?
    If you come out talking sh1t don't try to turn around and wipe you azz.

pls bare in mind that a very "swingy" hdd mount can do you more bad then good.
    run a search on this board and you will find lots of good reading stuff about it
    time for the sig:

'00 VW golf TDI upped to 130 HP - 18" RS 6 wheels - liliput 7" tft in indash housing - epia 10K - SB audigy - caliber 1 fahrad CAP - RF punch amp - hollywood 1.6K mono amp - boston acoustics pro - RF 10" DVD sub

Comment

I thought I had a good system, then I killed 3 hard drives. Evidentally, I did not know what I was doing. My advice is to design your suspension system around that of a car. For example, use a damper as well as a spring. I don't know where you could get dampers that small (R/C cars maybe??), but springs are easy to find. Using springs alone is a good way to kill the drive, and dampers by themselves won't do anything at all. Just remember that a poorly designed suspension is much worse than none at all.
      Player: Pentium 166MMX, Amptron 598LMR MB w/onboard Sound, Video, LAN, 10.2 Gig Fujitsu Laptop HD, Arise 865 DC-DC Converter, Lexan Case, Custom Software w/Voice Interface, MS Access Based Playlists
      Car: 1986 Mazda RX-7 Turbo (highly modded), 1978 RX-7 Beater (Dead, parting out), 2001 Honda Insight
      "If one more body-kitted, cut-spring-lowered, farty-exhausted Civic revs on me at an intersection, I swear I'm going to get out of my car and cram their ridiculous double-decker aluminium wing firmly up their rump."

Comment

Hmmm, I've been thinking along the same lines - use springs plus some sort of dampener. Springs are pretty easy to do - just use some long screws, and put springs between the mounting brackets and the hard drive. Sort of like this, as seen from the front (of course, you should envision the whole setup as vertical rather than horizontal):

[---|/////[HARD DRIVE]/////|---]

(Legend: [-- screw head and exposed part of screw, | bracket, /// spring.) The hard drive is thus sandwiched between springs. The screws must stick out some distance on both sides (that's the "[--" part), to provide for free travel. Put rubber bushings in the bracket and feed the screws through them, the bushings will absort some side-to-side vibrations, and act like bump stops when the springs "bottom out".

Now, all you have to do is put some sort of damper between the hard drive and the brackets. I've been looking at this dense packing foam here at work, looks like it might be able to do the job. Of course, just like in a car suspension, you have to match dampening to spring rates. I guess the only way to do it is to experiment with different amounts of foam, or something...
        Custom Linux system on an '89 VW GTI 16V Edition One
        Jogdial volume control, Sony joystick, IR remote...
        Used to be the fastest Linux on the road, until all these NOS types came along...

Comment

That's exactly what I did, except I suspended my entire player. I don't know if packing foam would work. What you really need is a fluid filled damper...
          Player: Pentium 166MMX, Amptron 598LMR MB w/onboard Sound, Video, LAN, 10.2 Gig Fujitsu Laptop HD, Arise 865 DC-DC Converter, Lexan Case, Custom Software w/Voice Interface, MS Access Based Playlists
          Car: 1986 Mazda RX-7 Turbo (highly modded), 1978 RX-7 Beater (Dead, parting out), 2001 Honda Insight
          "If one more body-kitted, cut-spring-lowered, farty-exhausted Civic revs on me at an intersection, I swear I'm going to get out of my car and cram their ridiculous double-decker aluminium wing firmly up their rump."

Comment

I dunno, a fluid-filled damper seems like overkill, given the small weight that we're dealing with here. If foam can absorb the springs' energy efficiently enough, it will do the job. (The foam I'm talking about is pretty stiff, a lot denser than the type you find in most consumer electronics packaging.) The design of fluid-filled shocks is driven by the need to provide relatively high dampening with lots of travel in a compact package. We don't have the same limitations here.

But then you're trying to suspend your whole system, so it's probably too heavy for foam to work. A single HDD, on the other hand, seems light enough for foam to do the trick.
            Used to be the fastest Linux on the road, until all these NOS types came along...

Comment

Easy solution to all ur problems ppl, if you take a look at some of my pics. I can assure you it WILL NEVER fail.
              abcd-1
              Author of CobraI,II,III and now CobraIV.
              You can contact me on AOL instant messenger....nick is cenwesi or cenwesi3

Comment

Charles - you mean your wire frame with foam supporting the HDD? How long have you been running it like that? Anyway, it seems to prove that foam is good enough for a single HDD.

A spring & damper setup does offer a couple of advantages, as far as I can see: a more compact mount, and better airflow.

[ 10-26-2001: Message edited by: Oms ]

Comment

lets just say for over 1+yr now. On the first box for like 1yr so all together i did say 2+ years. NEVER lost ANY of the HD's.
                  abcd-1

Comment

Originally posted by Charles Enwesi:
                    <STRONG>NEVER lost ANY of the HD's.</STRONG>
                    Hey, me neither. I've defied convention and gone for a horizontally mounted laptop harddrive on rubber washers. My car has pretty tough suspension, and the setup has seen a few potholes. Still works for me.

Rob
                    Old Systems retired due to new car
                    New system at design/prototype stage on BeagleBoard.

Comment

laptop HD is diff from regular HD. So i espect yours to work. On the other hand, i use to have a 6gig laptop HD that i experimented with one of my box... i didn't even bother mounting it like i did with my regular HD and it died. Although i believe the heat killed it because of the way i wrapped it. Buttom line in my opinion is this. With laptop HD, u dont need mounting since those drive are built to take the beating, just dont sufercate it. Regular HD, u will need some sort of supsension.
                      abcd-1

Comment

Working...
                      X