Newbie question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie question

Yes its newb question...and No i dont want I dont want to post it in the newb section only to have it answered by another newb like me or replying he has the same problem...I had bad experience.

anyhoo, so Ive never used one(carpc) Im guessing this is how it works...
    turn on the ignition and pc turns on, and vice versa. Correct? The question is id like to build one and set it up this way... I want to turn it on manually only when I need it..but i dont want to have to worry about manually shuting it off.. and wait till it shuts off..without worrying about breaking sumthing or killin the HD the next time I turn it on.... for example...Im driving around a new city, I get lost, I turn the pc on to check the map or the GPS...ANd damnit im almost out of gas, just so happen that theres a gas station in the next block....and I dont want to manually shut it off...i just want to turn the ignition off and not worry about it the next time i turn it on again...

what do yall think??

I have another question but ill save it till later...

The only question in there is 'what do yall think??'

I think, keep reading!
    Laidback

The ultimate CarPC - Wow!

Comment

Search for "shutdown controller".
      Old Systems retired due to new car
      New system at design/prototype stage on BeagleBoard.

Comment

HA!!DAMMIT ur right...well u know what I mean...thats how i want it setup...how do i go about doin that?HOW do you setup it up so its manual on...and auto shutdown when you turn off the ignition without breaking anything on the next boot?HOW?HOW?HOW?HOW?Hehehe theres more questions on this one LAIDBACK...

Comment

Yeah think a bit more and read a bit more about various powersupplies and how people set their PCs to come on. It is never good to be spoonfed info as if you go out and investigate you may come up with some different solutions.

But having said that:Most of us could easily answer your question but we need to know what power supply you are planing on running - eg Opus or inverter, PC or laptop? etc etc

For example if you are running a PC on an Opus then don;t enable your boot on power resume - just have a manual momentary switch (like a normal PC) and whent he ignition is off it will do the normal Opus thing and shut your Pc down. If you use a laptop remote wire a button and set your laptop to shutdown/hibernate when power is cut and have a dc-dc (or inverter and power brick) switched on using your ignition and a relay. If using a PC and inverter have the inverter switched on using a relay and your ignition and also have the relay powered by your PC - eg on one of the powers upply molex connectors and then use a pulse circuit on your ingition so that when you turn you key off it sends a pulse you your PC to shut it down by simulating the power switch. Or have a look at some shutdown controllers as these are likely to be easiler and more reliable.

Go forth and read the entrie forum buddy, but i hope this has given you some ideas of which way to go.

Andy

Comment

Well i dont have anything yet, just in the research stage... really interesting hobby i must say...thanks guys..

Comment

For your requirments then i would suggest get an old laptop (broken screen etc) as this is the easiest way to do what you want. (i don't normaly recommend laptops due to the difficulty getting auto power on, lack of decent sound etc) but if you jsut want it to work off a button go that route with a nice cheap dc-dc and external hdd if you run out og space on the internal one (or just upgrade the internal one to 60gb or summit).

Comment

Welcome to the forums and:
                1. Since you posted this outside of the Newbie section I can officially do this:

2. Not only newbies look at the newbie section.

You have some reading to do. Good place to start is to look at similar questions that have been posted in the newbie forum. Then move on from there. There is a pretty good sticky in the newbie section that will probably answer your question pretty well. Also, do a search for Opus. Good Luck.
                AMD XP 2600+/512MB RAM/120GB hard drive
                Opus 150W/DVD/GPS/7" Lilliput TS/802.11g/Bluetooth
                Installed.

-GPSSecure- - GPS Tracking
                -AltTabber2.2.2- - Handy touchscreen utility.

Comment

Welcome to the board and keep reading. the project forum will be a good place for ideas and solutions
                  TruckinMP3
                  D201GLY2, DC-DC power, 3.5 inch SATA

Yes, you should search... and Yes, It has been covered before!

Read the FAQ!

Comment

i remember seeing a post where this guy had his pc hooked up too a back up buddy and he never actually turned the thing off , so couldnt you set it up so it just goes into standby ?? and not have to wait for it to boot up again , ithink he said he could leave it like that for a few weeks and cause no drain on the cars battery , any one rememb this thread? i think it was yury

Comment

yuriy's thread

this is the thread i was talking about ,, i think he said this is something best suited for a lap-top,, sorry i forgot you didnt want a newbie to answer but i thought it might help

Comment

I've got a manual startup switch and for the past couple of weeks, I shut the computer down by just turning the power off. Yes, I know that this is probably dangerous but so far, it hasn't happened!

This setup makes me nervous, so I've gotten a proper regulator/shutdown controller (Carnetix). Still, it's one way to go...
                        Originally posted by ghettocruzer
                        I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
                        Want to:
                        -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
                        -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

hmm interesting

Comment

Originally posted by Bugbyte
                            I've got a manual startup switch and for the past couple of weeks, I shut the computer down by just turning the power off. Yes, I know that this is probably dangerous but so far, it hasn't happened!

This setup makes me nervous, so I've gotten a proper regulator/shutdown controller (Carnetix). Still, it's one way to go...
                            I've just switched off my car pc for the last 5 years. Works for me because I run DOS, so I have no swap file and nothing ever gets written to the hard drive. Never had any problems, no shutdown controller needed.
                            Old Systems retired due to new car
                            New system at design/prototype stage on BeagleBoard.

Comment

you know what tics me off, when ppl say search this and search that.....i am a newb here also but not a newb to the forum enviorment....i am a big participater in my car forum and me knowing alot of the litle stuff that ppl ask all the time and everytime i give them the answer no matter how many times i said it before in other threads.....and its not just me its most of the ppl on the forum....they know that sometimes ppl dont have all day at there jobs or at home siting around doing nothing except searching forums to solve there problems when they have tons of ppl like some of you out there that know the answer right off the top of your heads because youve been there and done that a few times...be considerate and be a nice guy for once.....maybe there in a rush to get there long awaited system done and they cant get a freakin answer outta you guys.....this is the most inconsiderate forum ive been a part of..... All im saying is stop being a-holes and spending more time posting a million of instead of taking half the time to give the guy an answer....its the old saying if you dont have something good to say then dont say it at all..so if all your gonna do is tell him to search then why bother.....

just my 2 cents

Comment

Working...
                              X