Tapping into +5V from PowerSupply

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tapping into +5V from PowerSupply

I know this is kind of a nutty thing to do, but until I can figure out how to connect my sound card to the car's audio system I am going to use my PC speakers during the interim.

The PC speakers required +6V and I was hopping that I could fashion a connector to take the +5V from an available drive power connector and power the PC speakers.

Is this possible? If so, is the red lead the +5V or is it the yellow lead...

I know, know -- you're thinking... "Go buy a voltage meter!"

Comment

it's the red one...

Comment

In case you're ever wondering about this and you don't have any pretty colors to work with, a lot of hard drives and CD-ROMs have markings below the power connector that say 12V GND GND 5V (or is it the other way around) that show which wire goes to which voltage.
        digitalswirlee.com

Comment

If the five line doesnt work, you could always build a very simple voltage dividing circuit. Wouldnt take more than a few resistors and you could get 6v form the 12v line easy. If you want to try it, drop me an email and ill see if i cant work up a schematic for yeah.

Comment

And using resistors is going to give you a stable 6V without burning up excess heat?

Not going to do it, with varying load, your 6V will vary quite a bit (think of the load acting as a variable resistor in parallel with your grounding resistor in a voltage divider).

Try an LM7806 if you can find one, or an LM7805 with a 1n4001 in series with the ground lead.

Comment

Working...
            X