Laptop drive survey

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laptop drive survey

Looking at getting a laptop drive for my carPC (space and power consumption reasons), and I was wondering what experience others have had with their laptop drives. What brand/model do you have, how long have you been running it, and any failures yet?
    System status: in progress

6.5Gb Hitachi laptop drive, 5 years use, no failures.
    Old Systems retired due to new car
    New system at design/prototype stage on BeagleBoard.

Comment

i have a 60GB hitachi laptop drive, 6 months no probs

Comment

I've got a Fujitsu 40GB laptop drive. I got it lightly used, and in the week and a half it's been in my car, I've had no problems.
        Carputer Pics
        Xenarc, custom case, M10000, 40 gig 2.5" hard drive, laptop DVD burner, Wi-fi, Bluetooth, GPS mouse, FP 1.09, M1-ATX

Look for me on the track, cause that's where you'll find me.

Comment

30 GB Hitachi (I think... or was it Toshiba?), 2 years, no problems

Comment

I have had a bunch of different ones.
            I have had 2 IBM 10GB Travelstars 1 went bad the other been working for over 4-5 years

1 Hitachi 10GB 4 years still good

1 Hitachi 20GB 1 year still good

1 Seagate 20GB 5400RPM 6 Months still good

Plus a pile of even older and smaller ones that still work
            Remember AllAdvantage From 7 years ago? IT IS BACK! Now under a new name Agloco
            GET PAID TO SURF THE INTERNET

Comment

30 gig fujistsu. 4 months, no probs.

Comment

60GB hitachi 7200rpm for 6+ months, no problems.
                2004 4runner

Comment

I have a 60 gig Fujitsu that wouldn't start this morning (9 degrees). Boot screen said hard disk failure. Retried after 15 minutes and it started.
                  Originally posted by ghettocruzer
                  I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
                  Want to:
                  -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
                  -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

I use the cheapest used IBM TravelStars I can find off eBay :>
                    I'm having spam spam spam spam spam spam spam beaked beans spam spam spam and spam!

Comment

WHat kinda psu do you guys use for your laptops? Is there any DC-DC way to power a laptop? does it take some wierd voltage or somethin?

Comment

Originally posted by Slitha
                        WHat kinda psu do you guys use for your laptops? Is there any DC-DC way to power a laptop? does it take some wierd voltage or somethin?
                        Eh? We're talking about laptop hard drives, as in the 2.5" hard drives used in laptops vs. the 3.5" drives used in desktops. Not laptops themselves. Laptops usually take in 14, 15, or 19 volts for power...if you can find a supply that will do that, then you're set.
                        System status: in progress

Comment

I use Toshiba harddrives in Michigan no less. it gets cold as hell here but when I was researching somebody told me to try them and hey almost 17months later and no freeze ups. oh yeah and by the by ...we had four days in a row that were below12 degrees this year
                          Epia M1000 1.2gig, Toshiba 40gb HD, Itronix 60gb HD, 512ram,PCR, Audigy2zs, 2 Xenarc 7" , FRODOPLAYER Trying RR frontend , [email protected]/w Harrison labs amps & Caps, Focal & MB-Quart midrange, Diamond Audio D6 Subs, Mb Quart Tweets, 2-Audiocontrol three.1 !

Comment

Are you guys mounting it vertically or horizontally?
                            2011 Nissan Frontier SL
                            AMD X3 2.2 | M4-ATX | 16Gb SSD | 2GB DDR3-1333 | MSI GF615M-P33 MB
                            OBDPROS USB | BU-303 GPS l LILLIPUT TS | Car2PC adapter | XM Direct | USB Dual band N with custom mag-mount antenna.

Comment

Vertically here.
                              Carputer Pics
                              Xenarc, custom case, M10000, 40 gig 2.5" hard drive, laptop DVD burner, Wi-fi, Bluetooth, GPS mouse, FP 1.09, M1-ATX

Look for me on the track, cause that's where you'll find me.

Comment

Working...
                              X