Why a flash versus a microdrive?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why a flash versus a microdrive?

I found this on eBay. Now, this is a 1gb microdrive, with usb adaptor (my board will boot from usb..) for $44 (shipping is ****ed up however) why would I pay 2x this much for a flash drive? Am I missing something? I know there are huge debates over solid state media and write cycles, and there seems to be inconsistant opinions on their speed. Is there much to worry about on a Microdrive? Is Usb 2.0 be fast enough to boot from? I would assume the drive would be slower than the Usb? It shows a rotational speed of 36k...slower than a ide, but since the disc is so slow maybe it wouldnt be so bad. Seek time isnt all that bad.

Anyway, any thoughts on this?
    2005 Ford Focus ST

Speed, I have both that 1G and a 4G Hitachi MD and think they are rock solid. As far as the USB portion of that goes,, recall seeing a post here a while back saying booting from USB is very slow.

Sure someone has tested it??

Comment

Yea, i figured the drives were cool enough...found some that were faster (4200 rpm) but wasnt sure if booting can occur the speed of usb 2.0, or if it was plain usb until it booted. That would be the deciding factor for me. Fast boot time is as important as anything for me.
      2005 Ford Focus ST

Comment

I have the exact same thing, I'm in the process of trying to get it working. Hopefully tomorrow I'll have it functional.

Its called Micro Advantage 1GB Quick Drive and it has the 1 GB Microdrive inside it. I opened it up and everything looks exactly the same as the one in the auction. Looks like they just took them out of the shell and started selling them OEM style.

Oh and you can get the same thing at OfficeMax for $49.98 http://www.officemax.com/max/solutio...kOID=537336016

You may be able to get free shipping too as well, All I had to do was order over $50 worth to get it so I added a dollar item to get it free.
        Remember AllAdvantage From 7 years ago? IT IS BACK! Now under a new name Agloco
        GET PAID TO SURF THE INTERNET

Comment

Originally posted by NOS TANG
          As far as the USB portion of that goes,, recall seeing a post here a while back saying booting from USB is very slow.

Sure someone has tested it??
          was it with xp??? just wondering...

Comment

40x flash has the same speed for reading as Microdrive, so no difference in speed.
            Even during boot( I assume USB2.0 )
            The only reason I would think why you might pay some extra $$$ is better shock protection. Microdrive has almost the same shock resistance as best 2.5'', solid states have at least 5 times better( 5grms ).
            Car pc integration with ease
            Car mediacenter

Comment

States max transfer rate is 60Mb/s while USB2 is 480MB/s, so there is plenty of wasted bandwidth but only 4.2MB/s read/write, seems conflicting and not to confuse MB ( 1,000,000 Bytes ) with Mb ( 1,000,000 bits ) . Also, states Load/Unload cycles is 300K, what are CF write cycle limits? Is 300K poor or well?
              BIOSTAR M7NCG400 : AMD-M ATHLON XP 2400+ : VANTEC AIRFLOW : 512 MB 3200 RAM : XENARC 700TSVB : MSI 128MB DDR MX4000 : MONSTER 300 WATT INVERTER

Comment

who is paying more for CF than a microdrive? My CF was $40.

Comment

40x 1GB CF $40 ? I want one. Where ?
                  Car mediacenter

Comment

Originally posted by redmage
                    [..]while USB2 is 480MB/s, [..]
                    I think 60MB/s should be here. This way sustained rate for microdrive is ~10 slower than USB2.0 bandwith( 6 vs 60 MB/s ).
                    Car mediacenter

Comment

25 bucks for shipping

Comment

Originally posted by Hell-Stopper
                        was it with xp??? just wondering...
                        I don't recall what OS they listed but search the forum for "USB boot" and you should find it.
                        I do have a cable type USB/CFII converter I just picked up and XP Pro all ready running on my microdrive, so I'll compare the boot times between to my current IDE/CF config and USB/CF and post the times.

Comment

Originally posted by jbors
                          40x 1GB CF $40 ? I want one. Where ?
                          Why do you need a G, mine is 128M and I have room to spare.

Comment

Originally posted by gospeed.racer
                            I found this on eBay. Now, this is a 1gb microdrive, with usb adaptor (my board will boot from usb..) for $44 (shipping is ****ed up however)
                            Anyway, any thoughts on this?
                            Find in the UK that postage is high to prevent import tax ie you only pay import tax if value of item is greater that 18 (I Think) excluding postage so you can get a higher price without the tax overhead creeping in. Or its a way of reducing Ebay fees
                            EPIA MII: 512m Ram: LinITX 8" Touch Screen: Carnetix P1290 PSU: 802b PCMCIA Wireless card: Slot DVD Player: Touchpad: Wireless Keyboard: BU303 GPS Mouse:
                            Win 2000: RoadRunner Front End: Michelin Mapstore GPS: Netstumbler:

Comment

Originally posted by eugenen
                              Why do you need a G, mine is 128M and I have room to spare.
                              XP pro wants 900 megs to install before any service packs. CE or XPE might fit on a 128 card.

Comment

Working...
                              X