Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone know any thing about chkdsk /r .....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone know any thing about chkdsk /r .....

I was hoping someone could tell me if chkdsk /r will install drives for windows? I know it fixes problems in the O.S. files but I need it to reinstall a video driver and I want to keep my info on my HD thats y I don't want use recover.

Umm, /r is for dealing with bad sectors. Whatcha talkin' 'bout, bootz?
    Chrysler 300 - Fabricating
    http://hallert.net/

Comment

Originally posted by Boostz21
      I was hoping someone could tell me if chkdsk /r will install drives for windows? I know it fixes problems in the O.S. files but I need it to reinstall a video driver and I want to keep my info on my HD thats y I don't want use recover.
      WTF?
      To install a new video driver:
      1) Uninstall the old video driver.
      2) Shut off the computer & unplug it.
      3) Remove old video card and insert new one.
      4) Plug in & turn on the computer.
      5) Install new video drivers.

If you're having to recover anything as the result of installing a new video card, then something is seriously wrong.
      Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
      How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Originally posted by Boostz21
        Sounds like he doesn't have the drivers? Find them online, then yes, uninstall and reinstall the drivers.
        Or do a system "recover", you won't loose old files.
        AtmosUSA.biz, E-Cig Mods
        "A great smoking alternative"

Comment

Originally posted by DarquePervert
          WTF?
          To install a new video driver:
          1) Uninstall the old video driver.
          2) Shut off the computer & unplug it.
          3) Remove old video card and insert new one.
          4) Plug in & turn on the computer.
          5) Install new video drivers.

If you're having to recover anything as the result of installing a new video card, then something is seriously wrong.
          I did exactly that Hello, I have a Compaq Deskpro EN 1GHZ running windows XP with onboard sound and Video. I was hoping you could give me some suggustions on what I can do to fix my problem. I was installing a PCI video card so I removed the onboard driver and disabled it then shut down and inserted the new video card into the PCI slot. Rebooted and it recogized the new video card It showed the COMPAQ screen then the Windows XP Screen than nothing just black accept I can hear the Start up windows music. I then shut it down and removed the PCI video card and hoping the PC would reinstall the driver for the video card but it didn't. I know I disabled it in the settings and I think thats whats causing the problem. . ALso I messed around with the Bios but there where no settings to enable the onboard video and tried booting in safe mode but its gets stuck in the Text screen where its showing the Drives.I really don't want to use the Recovery cd and lose the programs I have on the computer

Comment

Originally posted by muldrick
            Sounds like he doesn't have the drivers? Find them online, then yes, uninstall and reinstall the drivers.
            Or do a system "recover", you won't loose old files.
            I would reinstall the drivers but I have no video what so ever just a black screen I can hear windows boot up music so I do know that the PC is running windows.

Comment

Boost,

Somewhere in the BIOS there should be an option to tell the computer what graphics to look for. ie, on-board, agp or PCI. You should be able to change this setting to PCI and boot into safe mode.

Comment

Originally posted by RJP350Z
                Boost,

Somewhere in the BIOS there should be an option to tell the computer what graphics to look for. ie, on-board, agp or PCI. You should be able to change this setting to PCI and boot into safe mode.
                I thought the same but the bios really sucks on this pc it usally very simple :
                onboard video - enable/disable PCI Video - enable/disable but this bios dosn't have that option? I know sounds strange. I take a pic when I get home tonight. PC is a compaq Deskpro EN 1Ghz

Comment

Originally posted by Enforcer
                  Boot the PC

before windows starts press F8, you should get an text based menu. select Last Known Good.

Good luck
                  Tried it already still Black Screen

Comment

Found this on Compaq site.. Sounds like it might be your issue. Try the link below to help you solve.

"When restarting a computer after a graphics driver is removed from Device Manager, the computer may stop responding."

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport..._DD010302_CW01

Comment

There's also a **** load of issues with this model and video problems. see this link

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport...ortTaskId=1860

Comment

Originally posted by Enforcer
                        Have you tried safe mode VGA with the new card in?
                        I think so I'll try it again tonight and let you know

Comment

Working...
                        X