No announcement yet.

How Risky?

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Risky?

Hi all

I am finally completing the install of my car computer, and the question of cooling has arisen. I am not using a computer case, i am using a cubby box, ie box in between seats on a landrover 90(NAS90 for the us people). I have 2 hard drives, one laptop style, one desktop size(i figure its cheaper to replace a big hard drive, and i had one kicking around, so i used it for Xp, and put my 'data' on the laptop one.) An Opus 150w PCB(no case), A small USb DAB unit, an MSI mobo and a p4 2ghz chip with new style swirly fin intel cooler on it.
    Everything has its own free space, nothing crammed in, must be a half to 3/4 of a square meter space in there. One lid on top and 3 28mm holes, and a few 2mm holes, where i didnt measure twice!
    There is no case fan, just the few holes in the ends. Am i asking for trouble, not fitting a fan at the back, or do people think this is ok?

Any help appreciated

I would recomend a fan, if you find it is noisy at 12 volts you can use a 7 volt mod or see if it will spin at 5 volts.
    D201GLY2, DC-DC power, 3.5 inch SATA

Yes, you should search... and Yes, It has been covered before!

Read the FAQ!

Do you at least have a fan on the processor?
      I'm running my pc in my trunk (no case) without fans, but I do have a fan on the processor. I'm gonna install this temp monitor software so I can at least keep an eye on the temperature.
      I haven't had any problems with this...this time of year, also it doesn't very hot were you are at. I'm in the US (MD/PA) I think in the summer I'll run into problems., E-Cig Mods
      "A great smoking alternative"

Yes their is a fan on the processor, on top of the intel heatsink.
        This time of year here, ranges from -4c to 10c approx, in summer usually low teens to high teens centigrade pushing up to the mid to high twenties, never over 30c