Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Inverter squeals when PC is turned on...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inverter squeals when PC is turned on...

I got my gear loaded up in my car and turned the PC on. The inverter started squealing. What does this indicate and can I fix it?

I'm using a 300W inverter. The PC boots fine but the inverter just continues to squeal incesantly (and it's loud). I only had the accessories on -- I didn't start the car....

That's the problem... Start the car. The squeal means low power. The alternator kicking in should fix that. Alternatively, maybe get a stronger battery and you can probably get away with leaving the PC on w/o the engine on for longer periods of time

Comment

I had that happen the first time I set mine up. Ended up my altenator had gone bad. No it was not caused by the computer. It was old.
      <A HREF="http://mp3mercury.ghettoware.net[/URL" TARGET=_blank>
      [URL=http://mp3mercury.mp3car.com]http://mp3mercury.mp3car.com</A>

Comment

I opened up the inverter and used needle-nosed pliers to pull out the speaker in there.. i got a new alternator cause mine went bad anyways and my voltage stays at 14 now anyways..

-brett

Comment

dont you think the 300 watt inverter is a little overkill? that alone might be your problem. The inverter will draw alot of power that you could never even come close to using. You will have to hook up the inverter up to a rather large set of wires that are hooked directly up to the battery, you can figure out the total wattage used by your computer by using this
          Total Watts=Voltage*Amps . And you dont need to worry that it is changed to 110v AC because the computer power supply changes it back to +/- 12v DC which is what most of the hardware in your computer runs on anyway...

I hope that this can help you out.
          Monger
          Monger
          ICQ-7207702
          UPDATE: I moved farther north. Now its even too cold for the deer; only moose now

Comment

The inverter is not going to be drawing 300W continuously! That's crazy!

Let's look at it this way, if he didn't hook anything up to that 300W inverter and you're saying it would draw over 300W all the time (due to inefficiencies) where is the power going? IT would have to be converted to heat which doesn't happen!

At least he now has the extra power if he needs it later.

Comment

I really dont understand why people using
              such a big power inverter.
              I been using 40-50watts inverter for past few months with not much of a problem.
              It also not very efficient at 50hz it works with only 50% efficiencie and takes more then 6amps of the battery. but the point is it still works even though its 40Watts!!!

Anyway chinaging to DC->DC soon so i dont mind.

Fosgate
              Fosgate

System Comp V3 - In progress.
              Low power MB with C7 CPU, DC-DC PSU, car ECU link, USB TV, GPS, 7" TFT, Wireless, Voice.

Comment

What power supply is that 50 Watt Inverter going into?

Comment

Its a very small one
                  model number KUT-150F by BULL tuv product services. its sizes (2.5 inches high,5.5 inches long and 3.1 inch wide)
                  input voltage 230volts 47-63hz
                  and output +5->15a +12->5.5a -5v->0.3a -12v->0.3a and thats it.

The inverter is home made one originaly designed for 40watts max but with a biger transformes (60VA) gets up to 50watts max.

And whats important that it works fine.

Fosgate
                  Fosgate

System Comp V3 - In progress.
                  Low power MB with C7 CPU, DC-DC PSU, car ECU link, USB TV, GPS, 7" TFT, Wireless, Voice.

Comment

Working...
                  X