Factory XM integration?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Factory XM integration?

Is there any way to connect a car computer to factory XM. That is one of the main things keeping me from doing this project again. I'm not sure how the radio communicates, but I think it uses the CD Changer port. The car is an 04 Audi A4.
    2003 Audi A4 1.8t (Totaled, Project Canceled)

My Maxima comes pre-wired for XM but the tuner is some special Clarion/Nissan thing that you can't even try to talk to. My guess though is that with some kind of CAN interface you can replicate the steering wheel/radio controls to dupe the tuner into thinking that it's talking to the car rather than the PC?

* shrug *

Comment

Originally posted by viguera
      My Maxima comes pre-wired for XM but the tuner is some special Clarion/Nissan thing that you can't even try to talk to. My guess though is that with some kind of CAN interface you can replicate the steering wheel/radio controls to dupe the tuner into thinking that it's talking to the car rather than the PC?

* shrug *
      I'm pretty sure the steering is CAN. There is a unit separate from the radio that I would like to use integrate with the carpc so I could have XM. The unit is like $400 so I wouldn't like to go out and have to buy something extra just so I can have XM again.

Comment

Originally posted by Spaceboy464
        I'm pretty sure the steering is CAN. There is a unit separate from the radio that I would like to use integrate with the carpc so I could have XM. The unit is like $400 so I wouldn't like to go out and have to buy something extra just so I can have XM again.
        So the question is, if you grab a CAN interface that you can plug into the PC and write some code, will the PC recognize steering wheel inputs and will the tuner be controllable via the wheel and the PC as well?

IF they even make that interface in the first place... Sounds like they should do... someone here I think hooked up their BMW to their PC I think, and I'm fairly sure that their new ones use CAN.

Comment

sorry to be a little off topic...but what does CAN mean? i'm guessing it's an abbreviation of some kind....

btw - sorry to hear about you totaling your car Spaceboy...when did that happen and how? hope everyone ended up ok....=]
          Jan Bennett
          FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

Originally posted by Red GTi VR6
            sorry to be a little off topic...but what does CAN mean? i'm guessing it's an abbreviation of some kind....

btw - sorry to hear about you totaling your car Spaceboy...when did that happen and how? hope everyone ended up ok....=]
            Oooo thank you! It happened back in march and I was the only one in the car. I got lucky and only got whiplash (still a ****** though). Those Vag (Volkswagen Audi Group) cars are strong! I was coming home from school and an older man made a left turn (I had the right of way) in front of me when I was less than 20ft away. I couldn't stop in time and just hit him. I don't recall what CAN stands for but in alot of Cars (VW/Audi-your GTI probably has it) it connects all of the computers together. It was made by Bosch. Just google it and i'm sure you will find info on it.

I just noticed it says Female under your username...are you a (girl)? If so that is pretty tight. If not your just weird . If you don't know about it you might want to check out www.vwvortex.com for your GTI.

Comment

Controller Area Network

Comment

yes I am a girl, no I don't bounce my boobs around like a slut

=]

and I've known about vwvortex for a few years now....just don't like it much since it's not very technical and it's got a LOT of BS, lol...I tend to stick to a few of the local boards here in Texas as they are much more technical, give more information, and are a little more personal

=]
                Jan Bennett

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

yes I am a girl, no I don't bounce my boobs around like a slut
                  I was waiting for that

and I've known about vwvortex for a few years now....just don't like it much since it's not very technical and it's got a LOT of BS
                  I was thinking that

Comment

=]
                    Jan Bennett

Comment

Working...
                    X