Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ok setup? What Power supply?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Ok setup? What Power supply?

    Ok, Im working on getting my carputer setup. Its gunna be used mainly for running dsmlink (a management/tuning device for dsms) and play mp3s. Probably will be used occasionly for dvds and cd burning, not to much game playing, and may setup a gps and radio/tv tuner at some point. Im wondering if this setup is ok, check out my wishlist. Newegg Wishlist I will be making my own case out of plexi glass (unless I can find a decent really small case I like) and then probably carpeting it (will make holes for proper ventalation), and placing it in the glove box. How does this setup look? Missing anything? Any recommendations?

    My other question is powering it. I will also be using a lilliput 7 or 8in touchscreen lcd. I was going to get the opus 90watt, but I wasnt to sure if it would be enough. Is there some other powersupply I should look into? The powersupply and regulator setups arent really to cheap and I dont want to have to spend a fortune on one if I dont have to.

    One more thing, I believe the external cdrom/burner will have to be powered off the PS as well and cant get power from just the USB? Correct me if im wrong.

    Sorry for being kinda long and thanks for any help!

    - Nick

  • #2
    Originally posted by untal3nted1
    Ok, Im working on getting my carputer setup. Its gunna be used mainly for running dsmlink (a management/tuning device for dsms) and play mp3s. Probably will be used occasionly for dvds and cd burning, not to much game playing, and may setup a gps and radio/tv tuner at some point. Im wondering if this setup is ok, check out my wishlist. Newegg Wishlist I will be making my own case out of plexi glass (unless I can find a decent really small case I like) and then probably carpeting it (will make holes for proper ventalation), and placing it in the glove box. How does this setup look? Missing anything? Any recommendations?
    Can't say anything about the MB or Processor, I'll let someone else comment on that.

    Originally posted by untal3nted1
    My other question is powering it. I will also be using a lilliput 7 or 8in touchscreen lcd. I was going to get the opus 90watt, but I wasnt to sure if it would be enough. Is there some other powersupply I should look into? The powersupply and regulator setups arent really to cheap and I dont want to have to spend a fortune on one if I dont have to.
    I got the Opus 90W, works great. I wish however I would've got the 150W, I now am starting to strain my 90W. You'll find once you get going, you won't stop. You'll allways be adding something else.
    I would alsospend the extra and get the Xenarc, much nicer and seems to be of better quality.

    Originally posted by untal3nted1
    One more thing, I believe the external cdrom/burner will have to be powered off the PS as well and cant get power from just the USB? Correct me if im wrong.
    This is correct, most likely 5v.
    AtmosUSA.biz, E-Cig Mods
    "A great smoking alternative"

    Comment


    • #3
      Thanks so much for your response. As far as the Xenarc and lilliput goes, is there that much of a difference that you know of?

      Like I said before, im trying to spend as little as possible and not go overboard. As far as adding on, the only thing I may do is addon a GPS and tv/radio tuner at some point, so I dont want to spend anymore then I have to for this carputer. Ill be spending it on major performance modifications. The carputer setup is going to be used mainly for my engine management and for playing music, music vids, maybe some dvds and burning cds on the fly.

      Anyone have any other suggestions? Comments on the setup in my first post?

      Thanks again for your help.

      - Nick

      Comment


      • #4
        IMO that is an absolutely perfect setup except for one thing. I love the MB, CPU, Media drive but if you want to cut down on the cost I wouldn't go for a notebook drive. They cost a lot more for a lot less space and it would be very rare that a notebook drive would have any less problems than a non-notebook drive. 40GB isn't nearly enough for me, but that's just me.
        AMD XP 2600+/512MB RAM/120GB hard drive
        Opus 150W/DVD/GPS/7" Lilliput TS/802.11g/Bluetooth
        Installed.


        -GPSSecure- - GPS Tracking
        -AltTabber2.2.2- - Handy touchscreen utility.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by brady
          IMO that is an absolutely perfect setup except for one thing. I love the MB, CPU, Media drive but if you want to cut down on the cost I wouldn't go for a notebook drive. They cost a lot more for a lot less space and it would be very rare that a notebook drive would have any less problems than a non-notebook drive. 40GB isn't nearly enough for me, but that's just me.
          Wow thanks for your input, wasnt paying attention to that price difference. I had just read how those drives use so much less power, after looking though, forget that. I changed to a normal size 80GB WD drive for almost half the price and more rpms haha. I also just decided to forget about the OPUS 90w and just get the 150w. Thanks for your catch.

          Comment

          Working...
          X