Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Complete the wiring schematic for my car pc. Suggestions? Comments?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Complete the wiring schematic for my car pc. Suggestions? Comments?

Hey guys, I have all the components for my PC ready to go so I put together a little wiring schematic last night to make sure everything is solid. Do you guys see anything wrong with this?

Any suggestions to make it better? Thanks.

Car PC

Oh, and happy new year!
    2002 Subaru WRX - Silver
    -FP18G turbo
    -Walbro fuel pump
    -Modified OEM 840 CC Injectors
    -TurboXS: UTEC, turboback, uppipe, intake
    -Blitz FMIC
    -STI cluster
    -17"x7.5" SSR Competitions
    -Tein Flex coilovers
    -NOS 50 shot
    -2004 rear conversion

I read up a little more on wiring up power and have decided that I'm going to run one fused heavy gauge wire off the positive terminal on the battery, run that to a fused 3-way distribution block and then distribute power that way.

The Xenarc will still be powered off the cigarette lighter.

Question: How would I go about determining the correct fuse size for the fuses on the battery to distribution block wire, and for the individual fuses in the distribution block itself?

Total number of fuses needed (I think) = 5
    1. Positive to distribution block - size?
    2. distribution block to OPUS - size?
    3. distrubtion block to 100w x1 subwoofer amplifier - size?
    4. distribution block to 55w x 4 speaker amplifier - size?

Little help? Thanks.
    2002 Subaru WRX - Silver
    -FP18G turbo
    -Walbro fuel pump
    -Blitz FMIC
    -STI cluster
    -Tein Flex coilovers
    -NOS 50 shot
    -2004 rear conversion

Comment

one thing i personally would change is power the screen off the power supply of the computer instead of lighter adapter.

for me, i have an Opus 150 so i power everything with the Opus. one nice benefit is if i stop for gas or something, i can turn the engine off without stopping the computer and screen, then crank the engine and since the Opus can survive crank, the system doesn't miss a beat.

the one pain in the *** i noticed when plugging into the lighter adapter was when i turned the car off, it would always turn off.. plus all my video noise went away when i powered off the power supply.

Craig

Comment

Great suggestion, I never thought about that. Thanks a lot.
        2002 Subaru WRX - Silver
        -FP18G turbo
        -Walbro fuel pump
        -Blitz FMIC
        -STI cluster
        -Tein Flex coilovers
        -NOS 50 shot
        -2004 rear conversion

Comment

Fuse sizes are determined by how much power you will be using. Add up the wattage of all the devices that will be drawing power from the wire you are going to fuse, divide it by 12V, and thats the current you will be drawing, you will want a fuse slightly higher than the peak current draw, say 10% or so.

Comment

Fuses should be sized according to the current carrying capacity of your wiring. As long as your maximum power draw is less than your wiring can handle, you can use a lower rated fuse if you want. In some instances, picking the smallest possible fuse might provide a marginal benefit to prevent a failing device from further damaging itself. You should NEVER use a higher rated fuse.

Do some searching around the web. There are numerous sites that discuss proper wiring and fusing techniques. Www.the12volt.com is a good place to start.
            2004 4runner

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I revamped the whole thing and came up with this...

See anything wrong with it or anything that could be made better?
              2002 Subaru WRX - Silver
              -FP18G turbo
              -Walbro fuel pump
              -Blitz FMIC
              -STI cluster
              -Tein Flex coilovers
              -NOS 50 shot
              -2004 rear conversion

Comment

Where is your computer power supply? Your diagram shows power going directly into your PC. Would I be correct in assuming your power supply is housed within the computer case?
                VIA MII 10000 - 512MB Ram - Dual 2.5" drives, Xenarc 700TSV, Panasonic CW-8132-B, Opus 150, Audigy 2 NX, PowerMate, IOADR1610 10 Relay card

Comment

Originally posted by BeaverWise
                  Where is your computer power supply? Your diagram shows power going directly into your PC. Would I be correct in assuming your power supply is housed within the computer case?

Oh yeah, sorry for not clearing that up. The power supply is a 150W Opus which is secured inside of the case. You're correct.
                  2002 Subaru WRX - Silver
                  -FP18G turbo
                  -Walbro fuel pump
                  -Blitz FMIC
                  -STI cluster
                  -Tein Flex coilovers
                  -NOS 50 shot
                  -2004 rear conversion

Comment

Great setup (and diagram too) wats that connected to the PC, sub & amp. And the thing shown between the volume control and keyboard. Why don't u have GPS. U can also power it through OPUS if it needs external power source.

One Last question.... wat program did u use to draw the second diagram??

Final Touches

Car: 2002 Mitsubishi Magna EI
                    CarPC: SP13000, M2-ATX, 512 MB RAM, 120 GB 2.5" HD, X-Fi Sound Card, Xenarc 700TSV, Garmin 18 USB.
                    Audio: 2X15" Rockford Punch Z, 1 Rockford Punch 2-ch Amp, 1 Soundstream Lil Wonder II 4-ch Amp

Comment

Wow, I've never seen anyone do such an indepth schematic for something like that. Props to you for that.

I dont have anything to comment about the schematic itself however.

Comment

Nice diagram - what are you using to prepare that?

I notice you have earths all over the place - different for the PC and the amp. I presume that the box between the PC and the amp is a crossover, and the fact that it is pre-amplification means that it is active. Do you need +12/Ground/Acc for that as well?

I'm guessing that your IGN and ACC are actually the same thing as well?

WRX!

C!
                        http://carpc.riposte.net
                        I reserve all rights in connection to each post I author, without exception.

Comment

I wouldn't use a phidgets volume knob thing. I'd opt for the 8/8/8 board with a knob
                          PowerVoice v1 | NaviVoice Source
                          GammaControl v2.4
                          SKINbedder v3

1995 Lexus SC300

Comment

Originally posted by ramy_zohair
                            Great setup (and diagram too) wats that connected to the PC, sub & amp. And the thing shown between the volume control and keyboard. Why don't u have GPS. U can also power it through OPUS if it needs external power source.

One Last question.... wat program did u use to draw the second diagram??
                            Thanks! The little silver/grey box between the PC and the sub/amps is the sound blaster audigy sound card (USB power and ground). The thing between the volume knob and the keyboard is a cirque touchpad. About GPS, I plan on adding this in the future but don't have the funds right now to do so. I'm doing a lot of engine work on the car at the moment too so that's my priority after main computer components are done.

To make the diagram I just used your standard microsoft paint. Made everything initially a 16 color bit map and then converted it to a jpg file for uploading. It took a little bit of time but I'm totally absorbed in this project so it was fun for me.

Thanks for the props, FyreDaug.

Originally posted by C4M
                            I'm guessing that your IGN and ACC are actually the same thing as well?
                            I think your other questions were answered above. You're right ACC and IGN are the same I dunno why I labeled them differently. I should edit the ACC to remote turn on (off the factory stereo harness). Thanks for pointing that out.

Originally posted by 0l33l
                            I wouldn't use a phidgets volume knob thing. I'd opt for the 8/8/8 board with a knob
                            Hey 0l33l, thanks for the suggestion. Could you give me a little more info on the 8/8/8 board? I'm not exactly sure what it is or where to get it. What advantages does it have over the phidgets knob? Thanks.
                            2002 Subaru WRX - Silver
                            -FP18G turbo
                            -Walbro fuel pump
                            -Blitz FMIC
                            -STI cluster
                            -Tein Flex coilovers
                            -NOS 50 shot
                            -2004 rear conversion

Comment

Originally posted by imprezive one
                              Hey 0l33l, thanks for the suggestion. Could you give me a little more info on the 8/8/8 board? I'm not exactly sure what it is or where to get it. What advantages does it have over the phidgets knob? Thanks.
                              Phidgets 8/8/8. Knob 1 Knob 2.

Differences: 1 board can do many things, but costs more. So you can have a temp sensor, a voltage sensor, button inputs, and relay outputs.
                              PowerVoice v1 | NaviVoice Source
                              GammaControl v2.4
                              SKINbedder v3

1995 Lexus SC300

Comment

Working...
                              X