HELP! I Screwed up!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP! I Screwed up!

OK guys, I'm an idiot. I reversed the polarity on my xenarc screen, and now it won't power up. Any ideas on what kind of damage I caused, and what can be done to fix it? Is it just a small peice, or did I fry the whole damned thing? Any way I can fix it myself? PLEASE HELP!

THANKS,
    Dan

bump - since I would like to know what others have to say on this as well....

thinking a diode might be messed up????
    Jan Bennett
    FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

I wish I had the answer, but I don't. I just wanted to say, it's been my experience every time I've done this that it just didn't ever work right after...
      Tidder

Try RevFE
      The best resurrected frontend I've ever used, period.

I Wish I could ban people

Comment

I'm sure there is a fuse. Call Xenarc their support is great.
        Fabricator

Comment

If it is designed properly, there would be a sacrificial diode after the fuse and the diode will fry and the fuse will blow. Replacing the fuse and the diode will fix it.
          Carputer currently 'ghettoed' into car!!!

EPIA MII-12000
          Ampie Case with rigged extra USB
          Hitachi 60GB
          Holux GPS mouse with iGuidance 2.0
          Lilliput 7" touchscreen
          Netgear WG121 USB WiFi
          Carnetix P1260

Comment

Cross your fingers and open it up...youll see something im sure.

Once you let the smoke out, its hard to put it back in! You did save it, right?
            2005 Ford Focus ST

Comment

it's already open - there was no front part to the case....

I also don't remember seeing an internal fuse in there, at least not a fuse in the traditional sense.....??

there is no plug on the power lead being that it was cut off to hard wire it into the car the first time...

I know this because I sold him the screen.....there was a note on the plug wire to tell him which lead was positive and which lead was negative
              Jan Bennett

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

Fuse can be of SMD type. Its hard to recognize, but it should look transparent and "small sized" )

Comment

right on - right after I posted that I rememberd something about that size/type of fuse.....

does anyone know where it would be located? or where abouts? like close to where power would enter the board?
                  Jan Bennett

Comment

Thanks for the help, guys....I'm looking, but I don't see anything burnt out or anything that resembles a fuse. I will try a magnifying glass and see if that helps. I hope you guys are right about the fuse - there was no smoke or pops or anything whatsoever when I plugged it in wrong....

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by Altimat
                      I'm sure there is a fuse. Call Xenarc their support is great.

Will Xenarc help me with a DScustoms screen (a "gain" unit)?

Dan

Comment

It is a pico fuse...not transparent! its yellow on mine..... Here is a picture of mine when it was blown....

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=34357

its the yellow one in the bottom left.....

Comment

pic???
                          Jan Bennett

Comment

Originally posted by joelw23
                            It is a pico fuse...not transparent! its yellow on mine..... Here is a picture of mine when it was blown....

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=34357

its the yellow one in the bottom left.....

THANK YOU JOELW!!! I just found that fuse on mine, in the corner opposite the plug. Tested for continuity, and got nothing - blown right? Pic is attached...

Would it make sense to bypass the fuse and try plugging it in (obviously MAKING SURE the polarity is CORRECT, DAN!) to see if that is all it needs?

Thanks,
                            Dan
                            Attached Files

Comment

i wouldn't do that.....get a new fuse...it is blown....

Comment

Working...
                              X