Caps Horror...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Caps Horror...

Be sure you check your Epia for deformed/blown caps...

http://www.epiacenter.com/modules.ph...rticle&sid=450

wow - that's a suck......what exactly would happen if this happened? would your comp crash on you or just start acting weird?
    Jan Bennett
    FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

I have another motherboard that has about 8 that look just like that. I am in the process of replacing them. The computer (a thin low power low heat device) started acting odd, rebooting, hanging, hanging while booting, and unresponsive. I opened it up to add an SODIMM stick of ram since it only had 64 megs (added 128) and noticed all the caps bloated and leaking. Pretty easy to replace them on this device. I had another board that was succeptable to that problem, I think made my PC-Chips. I haven't seen anything like that on my ME6000, but will watch it, however it will be tough when it is finally mounted in its final spot in the car.

Comment

simply replace with same specs caps will fix the issue, or it shall be return to wherever it was made?
        -Mars

Comment

I think it is an issue with the caps themselves, not something with the mobo or powersupply that causes them to expand and leak. Replacing them should be all thats needed.

Comment

Originally posted by Bangster
            I think it is an issue with the caps themselves, not something with the mobo or powersupply that causes them to expand and leak. Replacing them should be all thats needed.
            That's true. GSC caps are not of good quality and in some cases (posted on the viaarena.com forums) they have a 100% failure ratio

So when you observe odd behavior of your epia just include the caps check to your checklist...

Comment

Interesting story about this here:

http://home.earthlink.net/~doniteli/index27.htm

My friend has replaced caps in several boards and is sending an Intel MB back for RMA due to puffy caps.
              "Protecting Privacy and Free Speech Online"
              http://www.eff.org/

Comment

Cheap caps are used by cheap manufacturers
                PowerVoice v1 | NaviVoice Source
                GammaControl v2.4
                SKINbedder v3

1995 Lexus SC300

Comment

hehe happened too me a long time ago....replaced my old board with panasonic caps...still working like a champ ....so true its not even funny.......at least the caps are abit better now a days..

Comment

reverse-engineering capacitors is just wrong... use genuine caps for your electronics... LOL
                    -Mars

Comment

Working...
                    X