Laptop DVD Output

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laptop DVD Output

I'm using a laptop as my car pc and have everything finished but have never managed to get dvd to output to another screen be it tv or my lilliput. Ive tryed using windvd, media player and no good, dvd plays on the laptop fine but wont output to anything, I have an 8" vga lilliput that also has s-video, niether work, any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Have you enabled any of the other outputs in your display properties/video drivers? Also, most laptops can be switched between LCD, VGA and S-Video by simply using the FN + F5 keys. Make sure your cables are connected first or the drivers won't "see" them to activate them.
    Rick S.

XP Pro SP2, Soyo P4RC350 MB, Nvidia FX5200, 320W PS, Inverter & uSDC20D, 2.4GHz CeleronD320, 512MB DDR, 30GB 3.5", Pioneer 106s Slot DVD, Linksys WMP54G WiFi, Lilliput 7" & 4" TFT LCD, Zippy EL610 Keyboard, Touchpad, Garmin GPS V

Comment

I think its a copyright issue, they assume you would hook up the laptop to a tv/video setup and record dvd's that way. I do use fn+f5, saves a heck of a lot of time fiddling round with display properties. Ages ago I found somewhere that had a software download that dealt with this problem, but havent found it since. I looked into getting a dvd changer to hook up to my Alpine head unit, but the something that simple costs US$1200! I Thought other laptop users would have this problem too? will keep googling.

Comment

What brand and model laptop are you using? All the ones that I have used output movies just fine to a TV. Could be a DVD MPEG2 codec or a video overlay issue with your DVD software. I use PowerDVD myself and haven't had a macrovision or other copywrite problem. That is usually only visible if running the input through a VCR, other recording device or possibly an RF modulator. Direct input into the TV should work fine. Try reinstalling your DVD software.

Are you saying that only movies don't output or everything including the desktop? If it's only movies then it should be something similar to what I just listed above. If you aren't getting the desktop or anything at all on the TV then the output is not being turned on. This can be a video driver issue, too high of a screen resolution or a hardware/cable problem. My laptop will usually automatically scale back the desktop to 800x600 for TV output but you may have to manually change it. If the output is turning on but is blank then your TV output may be set up as an extended desktop instead of a clone to the primary display. Try to move your cursor off the right edge of the laptop screen and see if appears on your TV. If so then you need to clone the second display to the first one in your display properties.
        Rick S.

XP Pro SP2, Soyo P4RC350 MB, Nvidia FX5200, 320W PS, Inverter & uSDC20D, 2.4GHz CeleronD320, 512MB DDR, 30GB 3.5", Pioneer 106s Slot DVD, Linksys WMP54G WiFi, Lilliput 7" & 4" TFT LCD, Zippy EL610 Keyboard, Touchpad, Garmin GPS V

Comment

Will have a tweak around with that tonite. I've been using windvd mostly, you can see windows on the tv but where the moving picture of the dvd is sposed to be a black void, games work fine just dvd's. Cheers for your help Rick, I'll have another go at it soon.

Comment

Working...
          X