VGA went out when I plugged serial in

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VGA went out when I plugged serial in

I plugged a serial port OBD2 reader into my computer and now the VGA don't work. I have no idea if the two things are connected, but they happened at approximately the same time.

The monitor flashes teh NO VGA SIGNAL message when I plug and unplug the monitor cable, but enver gives a picture. The monitor is in workin gorder.

Thoughts?
    Here it is! My carputer install! 1997 BMW M3

Try going into your bios and change the resources for the serial port, maybe they are conflicting?

Comment

Originally posted by FyreDaug
      Try going into your bios and change the resources for the serial port, maybe they are conflicting?
      That's what my roomate and I came up with too. But we can't even look at the bios because there is no VGA output. Nothing comes up on the screen at all. No windows, no bootscreen, no bios.

Comment

Originally posted by Skipjacks
        That's what my roomate and I came up with too. But we can't even look at the bios because there is no VGA output. Nothing comes up on the screen at all. No windows, no bootscreen, no bios.
        So even if you remove the serial cable there is no still vga signal coming through??
        Caputer Mk. II
        '02 VX Holden Commodore Series II Executive
        MII12000, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD (5400rpm), 16X DVD, TS200V
        Morex 60W DC-DC, Custom S/SDC
        OS/Software: Developing...

Comment

Originally posted by OdysseyPC
          So even if you remove the serial cable there is no still vga signal coming through??
          Nope. Took the serial cable out and it doesn't go back to normal. Brought it inside and can't get it work on the desktop monitor either.

Everything about it SOUNDS normal. Harddrive spinup, CD drive doing it's thing, but no picture.

Comment

prebuilt or homebuilt odb reader?
            肚子笑痛了
            S60 Install

Comment

Originally posted by jcdillin
              prebuilt or homebuilt odb reader?
              Prebuilt. I emailed the company that made them. They say they've sold thousands of them and never heard of this problem.

We're thinking it's a bios conflict but there's no way to check it. I tried to reset the bios but that didn't do anything.

Comment

if it's a irq conflict it should go away when the serial cable is removed if not clear it by removing the battery for a few minutes with the power off to clear the cmos, or if the MB has a cmos clear jumper.

doh!, read post then reply
                肚子笑痛了
                S60 Install

Comment

Originally posted by jcdillin
                  if it's a irq conflict it should go away when the serial cable is removed if not clear it by removing the battery for a few minutes with the power off to clear the cmos, or if the MB has a cmos clear jumper.

doh!, read post then reply
                  Could the serial connection have shorted something out?

I'm using on board video card on a mini-ATX and the serial port is right next to it.

By the way, I don't think (I'm not certain) that the first time I started it up after plugging int he serial cable that I saw a bios screen. I'd think if it was an IRQ conflict that teh bios would run like normal, realize there wa a conflict, THEN stop working. Like it'd have to know there was a new device first to assign that device to the same port at the video.

Let's assume for a minute that one of a couple things happened. I shorted out the VGA connector and fried the onboard video somehow. There's an IRQ conflict. Aliens have taken over my computer in an attempt to control our society.

If I got a cheapo video card tommorow and plugged it in, would this solve the above problems? (Assuming the aliens aren't good at screwing up computers)

Comment

Long shot here since you don't have an Epia board but this same type of thing happened to me and it turned out that the output of the board somehow switched to the TV output rather than the VGA. I booted with the TV into the Bios and switched it back. Worked fine after that.

I know you have a mini-ATX so I don't even know if this is a possibility on your board but if it helps, it helps.
                    Originally posted by ghettocruzer
                    I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
                    Want to:
                    -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
                    -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

Originally posted by Bugbyte
                      Long shot here since you don't have an Epia board but this same type of thing happened to me and it turned out that the output of the board somehow switched to the TV output rather than the VGA. I booted with the TV into the Bios and switched it back. Worked fine after that.

I know you have a mini-ATX so I don't even know if this is a possibility on your board but if it helps, it helps.
                      I have a TV card, but I'm pretty sure it's input only. I'm going to Best Buy after work and pick up a cheapy card and see if that cures it.

Comment

Try resetting the bios using the jumper on-board - you never know!

Comment

Originally posted by UK_MP3Car
                          Try resetting the bios using the jumper on-board - you never know!
                          Did that yesterday as described above.

Comment

yeag best option is buy a cheap card - was gonna suggest it but you already thought of it. May as well get a board you know you can get native res with!

Comment

Originally posted by Scouse Monkey
                              yeag best option is buy a cheap card - was gonna suggest it but you already thought of it. May as well get a board you know you can get native res with!
                              How much would a board like that cost? I'm not ultra concerned with getting native resolution as I don't find the lilliput to be THAT distorted at 800x600. Plus I figure if it's squishing a larger picture into my smaller screen that I'm seeing more than I would at 800x480. On iGuidance at 1000ft zoom I figure I might lose 1500 - 2000 ft of on screen mapping by going to the 800x480.

But....it'd be nice to have the option in case I changed my mind. How much would a VGA card that oculd do a thing like that cost? And could I find one to put in a low profile case?

Comment

Working...
                              X