X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HDD and winter

Could u pliz tell me how i can heat hdd at winter

fianx
    Intel Pentium 200Mhz,HDD 1.3GB,64MB,AWE 64, LanCard, hacked keyboard, Lorty Soft/win98, Video 500kb, LCD 4*40, 12V-12V PSU

Planing: 20GB HDD, 7" LCD

With a small incandescent electric lamp, controlled or not by a thermostatic switch.

Comment

You could run a small tube from the air-conditioning duct over to your computer case...

In the winter (when you run your heater), it keeps the HD warm. In the Summer when you use the A.C. it keeps the HD from over-heating.

-Miles
      Near Completion: Intel P166 MMX, 32MB ram, 13GB Hard Drive, Keypad, 4x40 LCD. Sproggy MK2.6 ATX PSU. Win98SE with Winamp and Mark Zehnder Plugin. (Web-site: very soon)

Comment

It takes some time for the car's engine to warm up and the heater to supply warm air through the vents. It's also difficult to install and the result will almost definetly be ugly (having some tubing running from a heater/AC vent to the trunk).

Comment

How much energy it will take from car battery(aprox)?
          Intel Pentium 200Mhz,HDD 1.3GB,64MB,AWE 64, LanCard, hacked keyboard, Lorty Soft/win98, Video 500kb, LCD 4*40, 12V-12V PSU

Comment

What about some sort of battery blanket or something? I'm not sure if you can get one that runs off 12V though.
            j
            j's MP3Car.com Web Site
            [######----] 60% complete (1st try)

Comment

I didn't think hard drives were that susceptible to cold. Since it is sealed you don't have to worry about condensation freezing. Is this really a problem?
              http://www.mp3car.com/usersites/Maveric/ M.A.V.I.C. System
              Asus MB, PII 266, 192 MB Ram, 6.8" LCD, 6 Disk CD-ROM, 21 Gig HD, All-in-Wonder Video w/ TV Tuner, Irman, Windows ME, Winamp, Cobra III -- All in a custom acrylic case.

http://www.mp3car.com/usersites/listings/ MP3car Listings - Please add to it! :)

Comment

I don't think that condensation is such a bit problem either, but I would be concerned about some of the suspension lubrication and stuff like that...
                j
                j's MP3Car.com Web Site
                [######----] 60% complete (1st try)

Comment

how about using a solar panel on your rear deck to heat up a little element by the harddrive. I'm sure this wouldn't be that hard, plus it would have no strain on your batttery.

The only downside is that if your car is covered with snow it really won't work so you could make it either dual power with your car battery or off AA batteries.

Maybe some sort of rechargable battery/solar panel combo thing going would be the best.

Comment

Why do you want to heat your hard drive?
                    Player: Pentium 166MMX, Amptron 598LMR MB w/onboard Sound, Video, LAN, 10.2 Gig Fujitsu Laptop HD, Arise 865 DC-DC Converter, Lexan Case, Custom Software w/Voice Interface, MS Access Based Playlists
                    Car: 1986 Mazda RX-7 Turbo (highly modded), 1978 RX-7 Beater (Dead, parting out), 2001 Honda Insight
                    "If one more body-kitted, cut-spring-lowered, farty-exhausted Civic revs on me at an intersection, I swear I'm going to get out of my car and cram their ridiculous double-decker aluminium wing firmly up their rump."

Comment

cos when we got water freze temperature,
                      HDD not startin at first time, must wait until it got normal temperature

Comment

Valentas,

I know what you mean...
                        My opinion is that you should use some small 12V flashlight bulbs installed next to the HDD. They should draw max 1Amp (depending on how many and what wattage you use). You don't have to keep the HDD warm continiously while the car is parked. Just flip a switch as soon as you get in the car. You can connect them through the accessory line so that you don't forget them on and drain your battery. You could also use a thermostat in the circuit (with the probe next to/on the HDD) to have them turn on automatically whenever the temp falls below a certain level (let's say 0C) and turn off when the temp reaches 25C. Finally, you could prevent damage to the HDD, by not letting the computer to turn on, until the HDD reaches a safe working temperature.

Comment

A second thought:
                          You could use some Peltier junctions, stuck on the top metal plate of your hard drive and some kind of heat sink stuck on the other side (of the peltier junction). This way you can warm your HDD in the winter and keep it cool in the summertime (by reversing the polarity of the current to the junctions).

Dimitris

Comment

Originally posted by Dimitris1976:
                            <STRONG>A second thought:
                            You could use some Peltier junctions, stuck on the top metal plate of your hard drive and some kind of heat sink stuck on the other side (of the peltier junction). This way you can warm your HDD in the winter and keep it cool in the summertime (by reversing the polarity of the current to the junctions).

Dimitris</STRONG>
                            that will work but watch out for battery drainage.

peltiers suck heavy amps
                            time for the sig:

'00 VW golf TDI upped to 130 HP - 18" RS 6 wheels - liliput 7" tft in indash housing - epia 10K - SB audigy - caliber 1 fahrad CAP - RF punch amp - hollywood 1.6K mono amp - boston acoustics pro - RF 10" DVD sub

Comment

I would think that the heat generated by a peltier would seriously damage a HD. They get quite hot. Probably the best idea is to just use a 12V tail light bulb, or map light bulb. They produce surprising amounts of heat, and can be easily controlled with a PWM circuit.
                              Player: Pentium 166MMX, Amptron 598LMR MB w/onboard Sound, Video, LAN, 10.2 Gig Fujitsu Laptop HD, Arise 865 DC-DC Converter, Lexan Case, Custom Software w/Voice Interface, MS Access Based Playlists
                              Car: 1986 Mazda RX-7 Turbo (highly modded), 1978 RX-7 Beater (Dead, parting out), 2001 Honda Insight
                              "If one more body-kitted, cut-spring-lowered, farty-exhausted Civic revs on me at an intersection, I swear I'm going to get out of my car and cram their ridiculous double-decker aluminium wing firmly up their rump."

Comment

Working...
                              X