X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wireless USB Ports?? NO MORE CABLE!

Check this out!

http://www.techonline.com/community/tech_group/37308

Holy **** man, just what we've all needed. Anybody know if this is out yet? This guy talks like it's still in the design phase.

Just think, no more extending IDE cables or Long USB runs. Sweet.
    Tidder

Try RevFE
    The best resurrected frontend I've ever used, period.

I Wish I could ban people

I can't wait to see this available to purchase >

Comment

Yea, I have known about wireless usb for about 6 months. They where trying to make a standard. It's not out yet and probably has another 8 or 9 months before you will see anything for sale using the technology. The only downside is, you can't have USB powered devices. So, no more USB powered CD drives, thumbdrives, bluetooth, etc. They would either have to plug into the wall, or have a battery. They are doing this to compete directly with Bluetooth technology.

Also, they are developing the same thing for firewire. It's going to be called Firewireless (no joke). Whoever gets it done first, will probably become most popular.
      The 2007 Scion tC + Infill G4 Project | DVDxml.com

Comment

yup.. no more powered devices.

imo it would suck to change batteries all the time.

Comment

Slightly off topic, but related to USB

When you use a hub that has a power cable to it is the signal stronger then the singal from your pc?
          Is it the same?
          Does it allow you to run more length of USB cable to other devices?

Ive have read some posts on USB saying 10 to 12ft is the longest you can get without it getting unstable. So i was wondering if i run 10ft of cable to a power supplied USB hub, then run 10 ft from the hub will it be stable?

Comment

(6) I believe a hub is the same as an active extension (a 1-port hub sort of). Powered or not, you can connect a cable up to 10ft on each side.

Comment

Correct hub = repeater. The standard says you can go ~15ft (MAX) without a hub.
              2004 4runner

Comment

The talk about Wireless USB has been around for 2 years, in fact, their first promise was to come out with it in 2004.... Hopefully they won't lag much longer. I am not sure about using that in the car (too many power wires and/or batteries) but I definitely would love to see my 7-port USB hub disappear together with the 9 cables it makes me have around the desk.
                I have found you an argument; I am not obliged to find you an understanding.

Comment

Its just easier to have a cable....I have a 15ft cable connecting my hub and pc, the hub isnt powered and has a printer, external drive, CF read/write, and a wireless keyboard/mouse hub. I have never experienced any problems with any of the devices. I think they are overly cautious when they say 10 ft.
                  06' BMW 330i
                  SG|Beige Dakota|Poplar|iDrive w/MP3|PP|SP|CWP|PDC|Comfort|Shades|40% Tint

Comment

This might answer your wiring length questions.

Comment

Guess this is why my change in my setup made my Touch Screen finally work, lol.

Which this change was to add a Powered USB2 hub off the side of the computer in the back of the SUV, then from that I plugged in my Active USB2.0 16 foot Extension to run to the Hub up front. Then the Liliput is plugged into this, and now the TS will work correctly. Before when I had the Active extension plugged directly into the computer, the TS would work and then not work, then not work at all, so it was a Nightmare. It now is working great like this. And I do use both hubs as powered, have to for that Lili to work correctly for me.
                      2000 Yukon Denali
                      Shuttle SN65G2
                      Cel-D 2.4 GHZ 533mhz FSB
                      1GB PC800 Mem
                      Radeon9200 PRO
                      Seagate 120GB
                      ATI Remote
                      RF Mini Kb w/Trk Ball
                      7" Lilliput Touch Screen Monitor
                      USB 2.0 Hub
                      Rikaline GPS-6010
                      PN11 802.11b Wireless
                      XP Pro
                      750W Inverter

Comment

Bry, how/where do you have your shuttle mounted? I'm still pondering mounting spots in the burb.

Comment

Dudes,
                          My system fite perfectly under the Rear Passenger seat. I only have the one row of seats in the back of my car, and it is the older Body style, the Dennali's weren't changed until 2001. I folded the rear seat up and mounted all the wires under the carpet and actually had to take the seat out to beable to route the wires all correctly. Then I mounted the inverter under the Middle seat right beside the computer.

I will take some pics when I get a chance and put it up so that you can see, Pm me to remind me.
                          2000 Yukon Denali
                          Shuttle SN65G2
                          Cel-D 2.4 GHZ 533mhz FSB
                          1GB PC800 Mem
                          Radeon9200 PRO
                          Seagate 120GB
                          ATI Remote
                          RF Mini Kb w/Trk Ball
                          7" Lilliput Touch Screen Monitor
                          USB 2.0 Hub
                          Rikaline GPS-6010
                          PN11 802.11b Wireless
                          XP Pro
                          750W Inverter

Comment

Originally posted by integramodder
                            the hub isnt powered and has a printer, external drive, CF read/write, and a wireless keyboard/mouse hub. I have never experienced any problems with any of the devices. I think they are overly cautious when they say 10 ft.
                            so your saying that your hub doesnt need 5v, just plug in the USB plug.....what hub are you using?
                            [M10K][TinyXP][Roadrunner Frontend][OEM Enclosure]
                            [iGmon]
                            Download MP3 MixTapes

Comment

Honestly, I would rather run a power cable than a usb cable. I am putting my pc in the beck and most of the peripherals will be up front. It would be easier (at least in my case) to hook up a power distro block and use a regulator on each device then have to run 1 or more cables all the way to the back itll also make for a cleaner install as i wont have a ton of cables under my carpet.

Comment

Working...
                              X