Basic Question: How do I get my computer to display on my Xenarc

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Basic Question: How do I get my computer to display on my Xenarc

Hi all, I have a 7" Xenarc touchscreen installed. I have the USB and VGA ports. However, my laptop does not have a screen on it (I've taken it off). My question is a very simple one. I hook up the 7" Xenarc to my laptop but my computer will not show up on the Xenarc.

If I hook up my working laptop with a screen I can have my desktop extended onto the Xenarc but what do I do for my car laptop which has no screen?

I can hook it up to an external monitor and install the drivers for the Xenarc but how do I get it so that the Xenarc is used as the primary display?

Any help is appreciated?

This is probably a BIOS Setting, have a quick look around it .... some details of the laptop will help as people here can probably assist more.

Comment

There is often a key combination to switch between the lcd screen & the VGA out....usually a CNTRL-function key combination.
      EPoX mATX SocketA w/onboard Geforce4MX / 512MB PC2700 / AthlonXP 1600
      Lilliput / DVDrom / Opus 150W / WD 3.5" 160GB / SB Audigy NX
      XP home / Road Runner / iGuidance 4.0

Comment

Try Function F4.

Comment

Its FN(Function)-F7 on my AJP laptop

Comment

FN F8 or F12 on some of the laptops i've seen, usually they clue you in by blue icons on the keys or colors matching the color on the function button
            PC Components:
            Lilliput; XPC/FLEX mobo; 1.7 ghz P4 Mobile;512 DDR; 160 gb HDD; opus 150; slot usb dvd-rw
            My work log

Comment

It is an HP Pavilion laptop - N series.

The reason I didnt think of the FN keys is because if I hook up an external 17" monitor now, the display goes to that automatically. Is it something different with touchscreens and using the FN keys? I never knew that. Its at my house so I will have to try that when I get home.

Thanks.

Comment

HP's are usually FN + F5 to toggle through the different displays.
                Rick S.

XP Pro SP2, Soyo P4RC350 MB, Nvidia FX5200, 320W PS, Inverter & uSDC20D, 2.4GHz CeleronD320, 512MB DDR, 30GB 3.5", Pioneer 106s Slot DVD, Linksys WMP54G WiFi, Lilliput 7" & 4" TFT LCD, Zippy EL610 Keyboard, Touchpad, Garmin GPS V

Comment

Originally posted by PDiddy
                  It is an HP Pavilion laptop - N series.
                  The reason I didnt think of the FN keys is because if I hook up an external 17" monitor now, the display goes to that automatically. Is it something different with touchscreens and using the FN keys? I never knew that. Its at my house so I will have to try that when I get home.
                  Some monitors have the capability to identify themselves when polled by the computer - they can send the model number, display settings, and other things. (I forget what it's called) The Xenarc doesn't do this, so that may be why the laptop doesn't automatically recognize it.
                  http://www.jeepmp3.com/
                  CarPC Stolen. Starting over.
                  Ne1 recognize the avatar?

Comment

Make sure the your display properties are set at 60Hertz. That's the problem I had.
                    AtmosUSA.biz, E-Cig Mods
                    "A great smoking alternative"

Comment

So you guys were right. I have to hit FN + F5 on my laptop. However the problem now is that I seem to have to do that everytime that I turn on the laptop? It doesnt automatically recognize it. I didn't have very much time to play around with the display settings but I thought it would work that once I switch to that display by using the fn + f5 then it would recognize it all the time instead of everytime I turn on the machine.

Comment

Originally posted by PDiddy
                        So you guys were right. I have to hit FN + F5 on my laptop. However the problem now is that I seem to have to do that everytime that I turn on the laptop? It doesnt automatically recognize it. I didn't have very much time to play around with the display settings but I thought it would work that once I switch to that display by using the fn + f5 then it would recognize it all the time instead of everytime I turn on the machine.
                        Go into bios at boot and change the display output in there. jsut try pressing delete ot F1 at boot if you have no display in time then do the FN key thing and the bios should be up. There should be a default display option or init display first etc. You can always get windows to use the external monitor by setting it as the primary in display properties. That way the PC will boot but the display wont turn on untl windows gets to the logging on stage.

Comment

Working...
                        X