Dual display problem

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dual display problem

Ok, working on my install Dodge Ram PC and I ran into a multimonitor display issue that I'd like to fix before mounting everything.

Whenever I enable the secondary display in windows XP and hit apply, it doesn't take. If I go into the driver control panel and enable the TV out, it will disable the VGA out! They only toggle back and forth. Can't get both to come on at the same time like with my laptop and other video cards I've had. Tried all the bios settings and numerous driver releases and there hasn't been a bios released except the original. Even ATI's own Hydravision program can't detect any other display. I bought this board because of the TV out (and the two $45 rebates). Going to suck if I have to add a low profile video card to this setup.

Hardware info below in sig.

TIA,
    Rick
    Rick S.

XP Pro SP2, Soyo P4RC350 MB, Nvidia FX5200, 320W PS, Inverter & uSDC20D, 2.4GHz CeleronD320, 512MB DDR, 30GB 3.5", Pioneer 106s Slot DVD, Linksys WMP54G WiFi, Lilliput 7" & 4" TFT LCD, Zippy EL610 Keyboard, Touchpad, Garmin GPS V

all that info and not one mention of which ATI card...
    [H]4 Life
    My next generation Front End is right on schedule.
    It will be done sometime in the next generation.
    I'm a lesbian too.
    I am for hire!

Comment

That's because it's integrated into the MB. It's an ATI RC350 9100/9200 IXP 150 northbridge chip to be more precise. Sorry, should have included that before.
      Rick S.

XP Pro SP2, Soyo P4RC350 MB, Nvidia FX5200, 320W PS, Inverter & uSDC20D, 2.4GHz CeleronD320, 512MB DDR, 30GB 3.5", Pioneer 106s Slot DVD, Linksys WMP54G WiFi, Lilliput 7" & 4" TFT LCD, Zippy EL610 Keyboard, Touchpad, Garmin GPS V

Comment

Please describe how you are enabling your second monitor in step by step details.

Comment

Display Properties, Settings tab, Click on the #2 window, click Extend my windows desktop onto this display, click Apply or OK. Display flashes, returns and the setting is unchecked again.

If I click Advanced, Displays tab and enable the TV there, the Monitor disables. Can only toggle between the two.

P.S. Thanks for the respones so far.
          Rick S.

Comment

Sounds like a driver issue in that case. Try uninstalling and reinstalling them. Can you change the memor allocation to the graphics in the bios?

One mroe thing, you do have another display ont he video channel don't you?

edit: dude, could you make your sig use less lines it is a pain int he *** scrolling up and down checking what you have writen.

Comment

Thanks but I've tried the latest 5 versions of the display driver and ran a driver cleaner program between installs. No memory allocation in BIOS.
              Rick S.

Comment

ATI or mobo tech support? Seems very strange. you got a spare HD you could install a clean version of XP on?

Maybe its a hardware limitation that it can only output to one at a time.

Comment

Nothing from Soyo, been waiting almost two weeks. Haven't tried ATI yet.

Looks like I'm not the only one with this problem!

http://www.motherboard-forum.com/soy...een_85594.html

Maybe a design or BIOS issue as you said. Well, thanks for your help anyway!
                  Rick S.

Comment

Check to make sure that HydraVision is installed. I had a dual monitor on a home pc before I got a larger 21" crt connected to a Radeon 9800Pro and had to install HydraVision. Worked great, but much happier with a 21" than one 17" and one 15".
                    Drive ZX2, ride SeaDoo, drink Mountain Dew --> Do U ?

Comment

Been tried already.
                      Rick S.

Comment

Hydravision is just a multi screen manager it should not ake any difference. I can use multimonitors on my old 8500 with only drivers installed (and not even the full catalyst - the ones windows autoinstalls).

I do remember having some issues with the svideo under 98 on old drivers (back when the 8500 came out).

Strohmrs, try this....

turn the pc off, connect a tv to your svideo and reboot

Go into display properties, click settings tab and then advanced (do not enable second display).

1.Click on displays and let me know that this looks like: ie which outputs have a red corner tab, green corner tab or greyed out.

2. if the tv out is enabled click it and see what happens.

3. if the vga is disabled work from the TV. see if there are any advanced proprties for the tv which could be causing a problem.

4. is the VGA corner tab now red?

5. try clicking troubleshooting and checking the "force detection of my TV"

6. try again

7. If it just seems to toggle between the two i don't think your card can suport two different displays at once and i think this may be driver related as i have just noticed that when i enable svideo my seconf vga gets disabled!!!! I used to be able to run 2 VGA and one svideo with the svideo being a clone of one of the normal screens.

I would try contacting ATI as it might be a driver issue on recent drivers as i never had this problem about 2 years ago when i used to have a TV in my room.

hmmmmmmmm

let me know how it goes.

Comment

Originally posted by Scouse Monkey
                          turn the pc off, connect a tv to your svideo and reboot

Go into display properties, click settings tab and then advanced (do not enable second display).

1.Click on displays and let me know that this looks like: ie which outputs have a red corner tab, green corner tab or greyed out.

Monitor-Green, TV-Red, FPD-Grayed out.

2. if the tv out is enabled click it and see what happens.

Defaults to disabled but clicking the Red corner enables it and changes the monitor corner to red.

3. if the vga is disabled work from the TV. see if there are any advanced proprties for the tv which could be causing a problem.

Enabled the TV out and all settings are good in there.

4. is the VGA corner tab now red?

Yes.

5. try clicking troubleshooting and checking the "force detection of my TV"

Already on. Even made sure that resolution is only 800x600 and freq is set to 60Hz for all displays.

hmmmmmmmm

let me know how it goes.
                          Here's some info I found about the video features of the chip.

Display Controller
                          Dual CRT controllers provide independent dual display support
                          Display rotation support
                          Comprehensive DDC and hot plugging support
                          Integrated high precision 300MHz triple 10-bit DAC supports resolutions up to 2048 x 1536

TV-Out Support
                          Integrated TV encoder with composite, S-Video, and RGB interfaces
                          Supports PAL/NTSC TV formats
                          10-bit DAC with 8-tap filter and ATI-exclusive enhancements
                          Macrovision 7.02 copy protection standard
                          Supports up to 1024x768 32bpp mode

Sure sounds like it should support both displays at the same time. I have an email in to ATI. Maybe I'll have better luck hearing back from them then I did with Soyo. Thanks Scouse Monkey!
                          Rick S.

Comment

Working...
                          X