Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

amd athlon 1.3 ghz-- where does it get it's power from, 12v or 5v?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• amd athlon 1.3 ghz-- where does it get it's power from, 12v or 5v?

Hey guys,

I'm going through the most exhausting part of the build... what psu to buy. I have a question about my cpu. it's an amd athlon chip and I want to know if it gets it's power from the 12v, or 5v rail? Could someone help me?

Thank you in advance,

Scott
    New System in progress:
    M10k
    Phaze TD1500 ~> Dynaudio MD130
    Phaze TD1500 ~> Seas g18rnx/p
    Zapco Ref 500.1 ~ 12" tc-9
    Behringer DCX2496 ~ Envision Electronics psu
    Transflective Xenarc

My Car Pc Install
    My Boat Pc worklog

ttt
    New System in progress:
    M10k
    Phaze TD1500 ~> Dynaudio MD130
    Phaze TD1500 ~> Seas g18rnx/p
    Zapco Ref 500.1 ~ 12" tc-9
    Behringer DCX2496 ~ Envision Electronics psu
    Transflective Xenarc

My Car Pc Install
    My Boat Pc worklog

Comment

Does the motherboard have an ATX12V connector?

Usually with Athlons the CPU's power supply on the motherboard is powered off the 5V rail, unless you have one of the newer Athlon XP motherboards that have the ATX12V connector.

Comment

Hey dude!

i got the same kinda query...

i got myself an msi AMD mobo and from wot i read, amd cpu eat power from the 5v rail.

however, this mobo, brings an ATX 12V Power connector "to provide power to the cpu", says the manual.

is it then possible that if i use this atx 12v connector from the psu, i can power my cpu from the 12v rail and not the 5v one??? (please let it be a yes!!! )

thanks.
        MSI KM4M-V Mobo -- AMD Athlon XP-M 1900+ -- 512MB DDR RAM -- LinITX 7" Touchscreen -- Seagate 8.4GB HDD -- LG DVDRW -- Onboard Graphics Card -- Onboard 5.1 surround sound -- Bluetooth Dongle -- RoyalTek Saphire GPS -- M2-ATX psu

Comment

Nice way to resurrect a year-old thread.
          CPU power is pulled from the 12v rail, stepped down to around 1-2v with more amps to run the CPU.
          Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
          How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

LOL seriuosly, i didnt notice.
            now, to my question...what do u mean by that???
            abc for leaners here please....:P

thanks DP
            MSI KM4M-V Mobo -- AMD Athlon XP-M 1900+ -- 512MB DDR RAM -- LinITX 7" Touchscreen -- Seagate 8.4GB HDD -- LG DVDRW -- Onboard Graphics Card -- Onboard 5.1 surround sound -- Bluetooth Dongle -- RoyalTek Saphire GPS -- M2-ATX psu

Comment

As Starfox and Darque pointed out, your motherboard is going to supply most of the CPU power from the 12V rail - this is not always the case, but it is in yours because your mobo has the 4 pin, square 12v connector.

Comment

Working...
              X