Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Plans for a laptop mount in car like police?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plans for a laptop mount in car like police?

OK, to start I am taking the easy way out and installing a laptop with a mount until I can get the carputer plans etched out. DOes anyone have schematics or pland for a homemade laptop mount/desk/stand similar to the ones in police cars?

I don't have plans, but I can tell you where to buy one.

http://www.jottodesk.com/Comersus/st...namicIndex.asp

or

http://www.ram-mount.com/laptopcomp.htm
    Alan

Comment

RAMMount will be the best way to go. You can piece together the whole system of stuff you like. However, you may to drill into your car frame to mount with some of them.

I had looked into these options myself, and decided to stick with a fold out LCD since it was cheaper.
      "If it works this good why F with it?" -KMFDM "Intro"

Strive for ethical wardriving: http://faq.wardrive.net/

My CarCPUs: v1 - 2000 | v2 - 2004
      Mp3Car Meets: http://detrimental.org/eyecandy/MP3CarMeets

Comment

Get a Panavise mount and a RAM-Mount. That's how I have my Xenarc hooked to my dash. It's kind of funny looking, but it works great! It should be enough to hold a laptop, but I'm not sure.

Comment

Thanks for the heads up. I was kinda looking to fabricate my own. Those are kinda pricey

Comment

For real mobile data terminal mounts you need to go to Gamber Johnson, Havis, etc. BTW, I think you're asking for your laptop to be stolen using a mount like that. It's right in the open and anyone walking by will see it. Now, if you happen to have emergency lights on top of your car, various radios, a shotgun, and a prisoner partition in your car then maybe they'd think differently about stealing something.
            P4 2.4GHz, Intel mobo w/onboard sound & video, 128MB memory, 100GB Seagate Momentus laptop drive, Xenarc 700TSV 7" touchscreen, IRman using Girder, 150W Opus dc/dc psu, Alpine CDA-9835 h/u, MBQuart speakers, Infinity 15" sub, MTX amps.

Comment

Well, I actually want to design one that I can fold down and will be somewhat hidden along the seat. My windows are completely tinted, so it is kinda hard for someo0ne just walking by to see it if it is not wide open. I was just checking to see if anyone had plans for one that they had made or any idea before I re-envent the wheel.

Comment

Nada. I thought about doing the same thing before, but my tint is MD legal, which is almost like nothing. There is really nothing close to that unless you leave some part of it behind.
                "If it works this good why F with it?" -KMFDM "Intro"

Strive for ethical wardriving: http://faq.wardrive.net/

My CarCPUs: v1 - 2000 | v2 - 2004
                Mp3Car Meets: http://detrimental.org/eyecandy/MP3CarMeets

Comment

Well, I was hoping someone had designed some kind of desk or mount for their vehicle. I have a 2004 Tahoe and would like to mount it like the computers in police cars where the mount is connected at the paasenger seat bolts. These things are like 300.00. I have seen some homemade ones on ebay, but I was hoping someone here had designed something they would want to share.

Comment

Originally posted by bmlusmc99
                    Well, I was hoping someone had designed some kind of desk or mount for their vehicle. I have a 2004 Tahoe and would like to mount it like the computers in police cars where the mount is connected at the paasenger seat bolts. These things are like 300.00. I have seen some homemade ones on ebay, but I was hoping someone here had designed something they would want to share.
                    Well...The way I see it...the design is here

http://www.jottodesk.com/Comersus/st...p?idProduct=56

I'm sure you can adapt a design from this

vintageb3
                    M10000 mainboard,256 RAM, 80 Gig 3.5" drive, PWS-120-M, ITPS, Lilliput 7" touchscreen, XP Pro SP2, Frodoplayer, Map Monkey, InfoMap Navigator 4, WIFI

Current: Bluetooth. Trying to get Phonecontrol to work with SE T610.

Comment

Very interested. I want to do the same thing with my laptop.

If we fabricate one.... we can have it mounted to the bottom of the passenger seat, then have a pole run horizontally to the far left corner of the space, and then have a pole running vertically.

Then we can have a stand from the vertical pole that can swivle and the whole works. Heh that was my 20 second idea.

Comment

Check out this solution

Hey fellaz. I read this thread and figured I'd put in my two cents. Most of the mounts are up to $300, but the one I use in my vehicle (onyx laptop mount) is the best thing availale for the money. The Onyx laptop mount is on sale at www.dura-mounts.com. They have a nice gray and black finish on them and connect to the seat bolt of any vehicle. They install in under 5 minutes. They can be removed in a snap and even moved to another vehicle. Very adjustable, compact, durable, and universal. Not to mention they have more uses other than just holding your laptop. Check em out. Hope this helps

Steve-0

Comment

Was looking for the samething in my 1975 vette the ram mounts went too about 200 but I was looking for what kind of laptop? Suggested screen size? Also what's the best way to connect the laptop to the radio? With the aux jack? Come on looking for update on this and I need some pictures

Comment

noah3210,
                            1. Your general questions (like connecting the laptop to the radio) are answered in the FAQs.
                            2. As far as what kind of laptop, that's really up to you. Everyone's build is unique.
                            Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
                            How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Gamber Johnson is the way to go.

They have specific vehicle mounts, as well as universal ones. They also make specific mounts for Toughbooks, and of course, universal ones.

Most of them have the capability to lock... and with the quality of the lock and the amount of metal used in the mount, I can guarantee you that the laptop is not coming out short of a sawzall, or breaking the computer to try and get it out..

Personally, I'd go embedded, but you can get a laptop with a touch screen with a lot less work.... But it's less integrated...

Granted, my installations do have a bit different requirements...

Comment

Working...
                              X