Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Remote power button....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Remote power button....

    Where would you buy such a thing?

    I don't want to relocate the one that's in my computer case. It's kinda really built in there to stay.

    I don't have a spare system laying around I can hack up for parts either.

    Where could I find just the momentary power button, preferably with an LED in it that I could convert into a remote button? Is there and internet store that sells such minor parts individually like that?
    Here it is! My carputer install! 1997 BMW M3

  • #2
    get a momentary switch from Radio Shack. Mount it where you like and run some wires from it to your machine and use the same connector to attach it to your motherboard. Just cut off the 2 pin connector from your previous switch or another computer somewhere and use it.

    Comment


    • #3
      The Rat Shack isn't that cheap for parts but if that's all you need then it may be your best bet if you can't find a donor one from junked computer case. Check your local dump or ask at a computer repair shop. They usually have plenty of junked systems piled up in the back. Shipping charges or minimum orders online would cost more.
      Rick S.

      XP Pro SP2, Soyo P4RC350 MB, Nvidia FX5200, 320W PS, Inverter & uSDC20D, 2.4GHz CeleronD320, 512MB DDR, 30GB 3.5", Pioneer 106s Slot DVD, Linksys WMP54G WiFi, Lilliput 7" & 4" TFT LCD, Zippy EL610 Keyboard, Touchpad, Garmin GPS V

      Comment


      • #4
        wired button

        wireless button
        2.4 celeron
        150 watt OPUS
        micro atx
        xp pro
        tv/radio tuner card
        audigy
        Dual monitor Radeon
        802.11G Mimo
        xm pcr
        dvd
        gps
        8" Lilliput touch screen
        IGuidance
        dual optimas
        battery isolator
        15" screen
        My Truck

        Comment


        • #5
          Is there a limit to how long the wires on the power button and LED's can be before they won't draw enough power?

          My remote button location would be about 15 feet of wire from the computer. That's 15 feet out and 15 feet back.
          Here it is! My carputer install! 1997 BMW M3

          Comment


          • #6
            I really doubt there would be enough resistance in the wires to cause a problem.
            2.4 celeron
            150 watt OPUS
            micro atx
            xp pro
            tv/radio tuner card
            audigy
            Dual monitor Radeon
            802.11G Mimo
            xm pcr
            dvd
            gps
            8" Lilliput touch screen
            IGuidance
            dual optimas
            battery isolator
            15" screen
            My Truck

            Comment


            • #7
              Skipjacks, you should do a search prior to posting. I posted PC Power Switch w/ Wired Remote back a few months ago.

              -HD

              Comment


              • #8
                Conrad sells a lot of that stuff..
                http://www.conrad.com/

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by hd54321
                  Skipjacks, you should do a search prior to posting. I posted PC Power Switch w/ Wired Remote back a few months ago.

                  -HD
                  I searched. I came up empty. The product you listed came up in my search. It's not what I'm looking for. Hence my own thread.
                  Here it is! My carputer install! 1997 BMW M3

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Skipjacks
                    I searched. I came up empty. The product you listed came up in my search. It's not what I'm looking for. Hence my own thread.
                    If this isn't it, than your description is wrong. Are you looking for wireless or wired? Are you just looking for spare parts? Spare parts and project box from Radio Shack and use ethernet cable to wire it up.

                    You could also look into these remote systems.

                    -HD

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      If you have a remote starter with an AUX button, use that.
                      If you have remote door locks, tap a relay into the unlock button (on second thought...)

                      I've had wired switches with up to 15ft of extremely-tiny guage wire run just peachy for 2 years.
                      If you go the custom route on a wired switch, get a header connector by sacrificing your existing switch wire, or use a cheap digital cd-rom audio cable.
                      http://www.jeepmp3.com/
                      CarPC Stolen. Starting over.
                      Ne1 recognize the avatar?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by PatO
                        If you have a remote starter with an AUX button, use that.
                        If you have remote door locks, tap a relay into the unlock button (on second thought...)

                        I've had wired switches with up to 15ft of extremely-tiny guage wire run just peachy for 2 years.
                        If you go the custom route on a wired switch, get a header connector by sacrificing your existing switch wire, or use a cheap digital cd-rom audio cable.
                        That's the answer I was looking for. Thanks!
                        Here it is! My carputer install! 1997 BMW M3

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X