Carputer 'freezes' at red lights

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carputer 'freezes' at red lights

This is a weird problem I have been running into and I don't know if it is temperature related. My carputer runs off a 400w power inverter and runs Media Engine. When I have my heater on and I come up to a red light or just don't use the gas pedal in general, my computer freezes until I press the gas pedal again. Has this ever happened to anyone? I don't quite understand it because I assumed the power inverter runs directly off the battery. My battery meter is ok so I don't think my battery is going.

Does your computer run with the motor not running? It could be the voltage drop when the motor is idle...?

You could also increase the idle rpm
    List of front-ends/usefull apps
    XTroniC | XTroniC Direct

Comment

I don't think it is heat related. I know in my car, and the battery has seen better days, at a stop light with the heater going, the lights dim slightly. The battery meter, however, doesn't move much.

My inverter has a low voltage alarm on it. At a red light, or when my lights dim in general, the alarm does not come on. Does your inverter have such an alarm? You might want to test voltage at the inverter, instead of rely on the battery meter.
      2000 Subaru OBS

Dell P3 @ 900 Mhz
      7" Lilliput TS w/DigitalWW in-dash mount
      80GB External HD

I am Zero Bitrate....

Comment

Do you have a webcam that can see the lights? Maybe you need to tell it that it can go on red! hehe

Defintely sounds like low power when your are off the gas. Maybe its your alternator. Try turning stuff like lights and window heaters on to use mroe power and see if you have to press the gass more and also park facing a wall at night and see if your headlights dim when you take your foot of the gas and your PC is running.

Comment

Truly, this is the most weird problem I have ever heard of.
          Sorry, I know this is not going to help I just want to express my felling

Comment

You sure you haven't programed the pc to play the game red light/green light????

Seriously, it sounds like a power issue or lack there of. When you are at a light you are breaking, which not only uses break lights(power draw), but also reduces rpms(power generator) so it seems as if your pc can't get enough power at idle when breaking. The only issue I have with my diagnosis is that with an inverter most have voltage drop alarms that sound when voltage is too low and didn't mention anything like that.
            Georgia Area Meet Photos

Comment

sounds like an alternator or battery problem.
              1) The alt isn't providing sufficient power to charge battery and run ACC at idle.
              2) The battery isn't holding the charge it's being given from the alt.

If you're able, it would be helpful to know the output of your inverter at both states (idle, and driving) --I suspect you'll see the drop there (as anywhere).
              •Micke

Comment

I'll second the Alternator or Battery. Reason being that the Alternate does not give as much charge when you are stopped as it does when you driving.
                Mark

Car'Puter Project
                - Xenarc 700TSV
                - MSI RS482M-IL Mobo + AMD Turion MT-32 (25W)
                - 1x 256MB Corsair XMMS DDR400
                - M2-ATX
                - Belkin 802.11G W-Nic
                - Garmin 15H GPS
                - WinXP SP2 (NLited)

Comment

NOTE: If it _IS_ the alt or the battery, it's a foreshadow of more bad things to come.
                  dead battery, or dead car on the highway. you may want to take some time and get this looked at.
                  •Micke

Comment

it doesn't sound like a power problem at all, actually. it sounds like a loose connection.. or more of a movement-related issue.. this happens each and everytime you stop? if the voltage dropped below the capabilities of the inverter, either the inverter's alarm would sound, or it would just shut down.
                    rebuilding carpc... kinda..

Comment

IMHO:
                      It (cpu freezing) would also happen at decceleration. --or jerky acceleration.
                      Those two conditions haven't been cited.

I'd think threshold low power would more likely freeze a CPU than the momentary cut out that would result from loose connection(s).

& for clarification, does the 'freezing' happen when the heater is not on?
                      •Micke

Comment

Originally posted by fantomas
                        it doesn't sound like a power problem at all, actually. it sounds like a loose connection.. or more of a movement-related issue.. this happens each and everytime you stop? if the voltage dropped below the capabilities of the inverter, either the inverter's alarm would sound, or it would just shut down.
                        Wiring could definitely be a possibility.
                        Georgia Area Meet Photos

Comment

If it was just slowing down and traffic lights it may me the extra load from your brake lights but not if its caused by acceleration as well (jerky) that points more to a bad connection
                          EPIA MII: 512m Ram: LinITX 8" Touch Screen: Carnetix P1290 PSU: 802b PCMCIA Wireless card: Slot DVD Player: Touchpad: Wireless Keyboard: BU303 GPS Mouse:
                          Win 2000: RoadRunner Front End: Michelin Mapstore GPS: Netstumbler:

Comment

Bueller? Bueller?
                            "Is Wayne Brady gonna have to choke a b@$#*??!!"

Comment

Thanks for the replies..

The computer freezes a few moments at idle and when the heater is on. It doesn't freeze when I am idling so it makes sense it has something to do the battery charge and other devices requiring juice.

I have thought about checking out the output of the power inverter so that was definitely a good idea. Does this sound like my battery is slowly dying and I should get it checked? I've had this carputer for 10 months now and it just started to happen 2 months ago.

I don't think it is the wiring because the wiring has always been the same so it should have happened in the summer too. Would converting to a DC-DC power supply like an Opus solve this problem with using an DC-AC inverter?

Sorry about not replying sooner.. I didn't realize I didn't subscribe to my own post and thought no one replied!!

Comment

Working...
                              X