Commell LV-671..

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Commell LV-671..

Well, I bit the bullet and placed an order for a Commell LV-671 motherboard from BWI, and I'll probably get it in about 3 weeks.

The board is an Intel Pentium M based, with MiniPCI, CF, PC Card (PCMCIA) slots, and LVDS, to name a few tidbits.

Shown here:
    http://www.commell-sys.com/Product/SBC/LV-671.HTM
    And here at the Taiwan site, with more details:
    http://www.commell.com.tw/Product/SBC/LV-671.HTM

I ordered it from BWI.com for about $350 including shipping, which does not include a processor in the cost.

A Pentium-M CPU costs anywhere from $100 to $500, depending on the speed.

A Intel Pentium M processor 715 at 1.5 Ghz w/2MB L2 cache runs about $220, but I've seen older slower versions for less.

Should be interesting, I'll take pictures when it arrives..

That is a lot of money, I hope it is worth it.
    TruckinMP3
    D201GLY2, DC-DC power, 3.5 inch SATA

Yes, you should search... and Yes, It has been covered before!

Read the FAQ!

Comment

Nice! But not a cheap way to go!!! Should make a pretty quick PC for its size. those new pentium-M's pack a good punch.

Are you going 7" screen - fingers crossed you can get an intel extreme 2 driver that does 800x480 if you are.

Also, you reckon a 90W M1-ATX will power that? should do.

Comment

Originally posted by Scouse Monkey
        Nice! But not a cheap way to go!!! Should make a pretty quick PC for its size. those new pentium-M's pack a good punch.

Are you going 7" screen - fingers crossed you can get an intel extreme 2 driver that does 800x480 if you are.

Also, you reckon a 90W M1-ATX will power that? should do.
        I'm not planning on a limited budget for this thing, so money is (relatively) not a problem.

I'm actually going to bypass the whole 800x480 problem by going for an 8.4" LVDS LCD panel that does 800x600, and will be hooking it up directly to the LVDS transmitter on the board.

I've got the LVDS cable, connectors, parts, and pinouts all laid out.

I also know that the Intel Extreme graphics drivers are MS Media Center certified, so I should have no problem running MCE 2005 if that's what I choose to actually use..

The motherboard does have the capability to run on 12V or 19V DC, so I was more thinking of a DC-DC regulator, such as one of the CarNetix ones on the store here.

Commell does make an AC-DC 12V power supply for this board, and here's the operating specs I need to match:
        http://www.bwi.com/scripts/show_document.php/id/1378

Basically 12V regulated, 6.6 Amps at 80 Watts max.

Comment

What does the board offer that justifies the cost increase from a Via MII 10000 or the like? Thats a heafty jump from $160 for the Via style boards...
          VIA MII 10000 - 512MB Ram - Dual 2.5" drives, Xenarc 700TSV, Panasonic CW-8132-B, Opus 150, Audigy 2 NX, PowerMate, IOADR1610 10 Relay card

Comment

Originally posted by BeaverWise
            What does the board offer that justifies the cost increase from a Via MII 10000 or the like? Thats a heafty jump from $160 for the Via style boards...
            More on-board options, I think..

The closest board in comparison is the MII 10000, but the MII doesn't have:
            • MiniPCI or MiniAGP option (I ordered MiniPCI)
            • Built-in LVDS (not an optional accessory board)
            • on-board 12V power supply/regulator

It's also my opinion that the Pentium M-based board would give me more processing capability than the Via boards.

That, and I'm probably also a little biased against Via-chipset boards, but that's just me.

Comment

This system will be substantially faster than any of the C3 based systems. Depending on what software you throw at it, that might be apparent or completely transparent.

I can't wait to read your review about how this works out for you. I think another member had this board and then eventually sold it a few months ago. I never did see a review from him though.
              2004 4runner

Comment

Originally posted by rando
                This system will be substantially faster than any of the C3 based systems. Depending on what software you throw at it, that might be apparent or completely transparent.

I can't wait to read your review about how this works out for you. I think another member had this board and then eventually sold it a few months ago. I never did see a review from him though.

I think the big kicker is that I can get Pentium M cpu's that have 2MB of L2 cache on them - I can get a 1.5Ghz 2MB Cache model for about $220.

The 2.0 Ghz 2MB cache ones run about $500, which is more than I want to spend on a single CPU at this point.. I can upgrade later, I can always re-use the slower CPU elsewhere.

I think the Via systems have L2 cache somewhere in the range of 32K-64K or so, possibly larger.. but not close to the 1M or 2M cache options on the P4M.

Comment

Wow, I want to hear its review, too.

I think I read somewhere that other person who got Commell board
                  said OPUS modified for free to fit that board requirements.
                  If you already have a OPUS, you might want contact OPUS.

Comment

Originally posted by ryuandwings
                    Wow, I want to hear its review, too.

I think I read somewhere that other person who got Commell board
                    said OPUS modified for free to fit that board requirements.
                    If you already have a OPUS, you might want contact OPUS.
                    I've been contacted by one other mp3car.com forum member that has an LV-671, so I'll be getting his opinion on the board too.

And I might even make an LVDS LCD cable for him, too, to save him the trouble.. I have the parts I need.

At this point, I don't have a power supply, either a Carnetix nor an Opus, but I'll look into the Opus supplies too.

Comment

My Opus is for sale.
                      2004 4runner

Comment

Originally posted by rando
                        My Opus is for sale.
                        I'll consider it, thanks.

This board runs directly off of 12V and has its own regulator for 12V/5V devices, so I'm going to need a supply that can provide 6-7A on the 12V line.

I have a thread in Power Supplies going on about it..

Comment

If you can live with microATX rather than miniITX, there are cheaper Pentium M solutions as pointed out in my post earlier today that also have a standard ATX connector on them.

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=40641

Also, you want to make sure you order a Pentium M that has "Dothan" core. I believe the 1.6GHz model 725 may be the cheapest entry that can be readily purchased. They make LV and ULV Dothan's that run slower and use less power (used in some Tablet PCs and a few ultra portables) but I think Intel only makes those available to large OEMs directly.

Comment

Originally posted by BullCreek
                            If you can live with microATX rather than miniITX, there are cheaper Pentium M solutions as pointed out in my post earlier today that also have a standard ATX connector on them.

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=40641

Also, you want to make sure you order a Pentium M that has "Dothan" core. I believe the 1.6GHz model 725 may be the cheapest entry that can be readily purchased. They make LV and ULV Dothan's that run slower and use less power (used in some Tablet PCs and a few ultra portables) but I think Intel only makes those available to large OEMs directly.
                            Thanks, but a Micro-ATX board is still too large - the space I'm working with is roughly 180mm wide, and Mini-ITX's are 170mm sqare.

I'm aware of the Dothan core CPU's, and the CPU I have in mind is a model 715, at 1.5ghz, 90nm, 400Mhz FSB, and 2MB L2 cache, for about $220.

I can also get the LV and ULV ones, but I'd rather have a 1.5 Ghz than a 1 Ghz or 900mhz.

Comment

Where can you buy the LV or ULV Dothans? Inquring minds want to know...

Comment

Working...
                              X