Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who's the culprit?

Ok, hear me out

I've been having a hell of a time with motherboards latley.

I recently bought a Jetway XPC/flexatx form factor mobo off ebay(advertised as new in box from chowbig.com) and I also purchased a mobile pentium processor, socket 478.

Well, I set everything up, hit the power button, and no dice. The PSU fan spun for a second then turned off.

Stumped, I figured either the motherboard was dead, or the processor was dead (i've been using the power supply on a different system and its been working fine). So anyway, my main desktop system is also a pentium4 socket 478. So I swapped the processors. For 1, to see if the possibly dead mobo would come to live with a known good processor. And 2 to see if the processor would come to life with a known good mobo.

Didn't turn out pretty. The results were that both trials had the same results. The power supply turned on and then then quickly turned off.

But whats worse is that now my "known working" processor wont even work in my "known working" motherboard. It yeilds the same quick spin of the power supply and then shuts off.

My question: Did the new motherboard fry both processors? Or did the new processor fry both motherboards?

obviously i'm afraid to test either on another system. As my main desktop system just met its 1 year limit and is no longer under warrenty.

My assumption is that the processors got fried by the motherboard, and that my desktop mobo still works. So I ordered a new processor off newegg, that i'm only gonna try on my "known working" motherboard.

Anybody ever have anything like this happen? What do you think it could be?
    ...ps i tried different PSUs
    PC Components:
    Lilliput; XPC/FLEX mobo; 1.7 ghz P4 Mobile;512 DDR; 160 gb HDD; opus 150; slot usb dvd-rw
    My work log

I have had this EXACT same thing happen to me on two completely differant occatiions. Both were with AMD CPUs. Ended up frying 3 CPUs and had two defective keyboards in total. Luckily 2 of the CPUs were still under warranty and mobos aren't too expensive (~$35 with a good deal).
    SUCKS BAD.
    AMD XP 2600+/512MB RAM/120GB hard drive
    Opus 150W/DVD/GPS/7" Lilliput TS/802.11g/Bluetooth
    Installed.

-GPSSecure- - GPS Tracking
    -AltTabber2.2.2- - Handy touchscreen utility.

Comment

I've had that problem in the past! Usually it's something stupid like me forgetting to/not doing a very good job grounding the mobo.

As far as tyour good working computer, maybe the other processor did something to it. If you haven't yet, clear the CMOS on your good Mobo, see if it does anything.

Peace and good luck,

Rafster
      Post # 3000

Comment

well, i've tried clearing the cmos, no luck. I'm hoping that the orignial motherboard just fried the processors, because yeah mobos are cheap but i have a ****load of software installed on my system, and i cant find my motherboard anywhere anymore (dont want to start over). I kind of think its unlikley that after frying the processor, the fried processor fired my mobo.....Thats unlikley right? Damn wish my **** was under warrenty
        PC Components:
        Lilliput; XPC/FLEX mobo; 1.7 ghz P4 Mobile;512 DDR; 160 gb HDD; opus 150; slot usb dvd-rw
        My work log

Comment

Well, now i have a little more information. I bought a NEW processor and put it in my "working system". Same result. Started up then shut off. So my thoughts are that the processor fried the mobos, or the psu. It was about time to get a new mobo and psu anyway, so they are on their way. Just hope the NEW processor isnt dead now.
          PC Components:
          My work log

Comment

That sux bro. I hope you're able to return the 3rd processor if it was fried.

Good luck!

Rafster
            Post # 3000

Comment

thanks, new psu and mobo arent here yet. If the 3rd one is fried i better be able to return it, got the retail package, 3 year warrenty.
              PC Components:
              My work log

Comment

I had the same exact problem. My solution was a better heatsink and fan combination. Soon as I put that on, it worked instantly. Might be something to try.

Comment

Continuation of this very sad epic.

My new PSU and mobo came today. To test my theory that the only thing that was fried was the PSUs, I first hooked up the new PSU to my main system.

SUCCESS!!! The system booted right up.

However since I had been using another system in the meantime and moved my graphics card and other components over, I migrated all the pieces back. I hooked it up again and booted......damn thing fried. Smells horrible. I dont know what happened.

I set up the new mobo and that seems to be working alright with the new psu and the new cpu.

I also hooked up my other p4 processor (not the mobile the original "working" one) to the jetway motherboard. Thats thing is running like a champ.

Moral of the story, dont buy cheap p4 mobile cpus off of ebay.
                  PC Components:
                  My work log

Comment

Originally posted by Peoples
                    Moral of the story, dont buy cheap p4 mobile cpus off of ebay.
                    It could also be "make sure that the motherboard you intend to use really can handle Pentium M(obile) processors since they aren't the same as regular P4's"

/M

Comment

From my research I believe you've mistaken....the Pentium M...and the Pentium 4 Mobile are different chips. The Pentium M is socket 479, and wont even fit a P4 motherboard. P4 Mobile processors however are socket 478. The p4 mobile processors are normal northwood processors built to run at lower vcores. My motherboard should have only overclocked the cpu. The cpu should not have harmed the motherboard or the PSU.

i might be wrong, but thats what I get from these below.

http://www.vr-zone.com/guides/Intel/P4M/
                      http://www6.tomshardware.com/mobile/...ntrino-03.html
                      PC Components:
                      My work log

Comment

Originally posted by Peoples
                        From my research I believe you've mistaken....the Pentium M...and the Pentium 4 Mobile are different chips. The Pentium M is socket 479, and wont even fit a P4 motherboard. P4 Mobile processors however are socket 478. The p4 mobile processors are normal northwood processors built to run at lower vcores. My motherboard should have only overclocked the cpu. The cpu should not have harmed the motherboard or the PSU.
                        Yes they are different chips, but the mobile-range is also different compared to the regular P4's (vcore).
                        Can't see how it would be overclocked just by raising the vcore.
                        If the differance between the lowest vcore the motherboard can supply and the maximum vcore allowed for the given type of processor is too large, then yes, you'll fry it.

/M

Comment

fry the processor.....but why did the power supply fry?....this is still not making sense to me
                          PC Components:
                          My work log

Comment

in case anybody cares......i got my motherboard running again.

i put in a pci video and it booted right up.
                            I also tested my radeon 9800pro in 2 other boards and it seems to be working fine. I guess my mobo has a dead agp slot now.

I'm itching to test the mobile processor again in a system, but set the vcore to 1.1 volts first with my other processor. I will attempt this once i obtain an extra PSU.
                            PC Components:
                            My work log

Comment

ended up getting the thing to work....dont know how it fried the PSUs
                              PC Components:
                              My work log

Comment

Working...
                              X