MII10000 COM2 Problem

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MII10000 COM2 Problem

Well, i built an xm direct to serial cable the other day, and it works perfectly on COM1.

I went to a local pc shop, and picked up a com port to hook up to the onboard com2 header on my MII1000. Theres not great documentation, but its a 10 pin connector, and there are 9 pins on the motherboard, i imagnie that the wire with the red line on it is to be oriented towards pin 1, which is closest to the back pannel. So i hook this up, try the cable on com2, and it doesnt work. I try flipping the connector on the header, and it doesnt work.

I thought maybe a bios issue, but even without the header conencted to the cable, com2 is visible in device manager. It is also enabled in bios, and device manager says there are no conflcits.

WHAT THE HECK IS GOING ON?????

Thanks

Have you found a fix for this yet? I've been having a similar problem with my COM2 except that my MB is a M10k not MII10k.

I have used two different pigtails, tried flipping the connector back and forth to no avail.
    EPIA Nehemiah M10k, M1-ATX, 20GB 4200 RPM 2.5", 256MB RAM, Win XP Home, Gyration RF Keyboard & Mouse, Zoltrix Nightingale Optical 4.1 PCI Sound Card, Lilliput 619GL-70NP, XM-PCR w/ optical upgrade, Garmin GPS-25LVS, Microsoft MN-710 USB Wireless NIC

Comment

nope, still so dang frustrated over the whole thing. i cant understand what could be going wrong.

i'd call epia if they had a number

Comment

Try posting on the VIA Arena forums too: http://forums.viaarena.com/categorie...d=32&forumid=1
        System status: in progress

Comment

I have the M9000 using the second serial without a problem.

Just had to enable it in the BIOS as you did...

-Mario

Comment

I searched VIA Arena and found:

http://forums.viaarena.com/messagevi...&keyword1=com2

and

http://forums.viaarena.com/messagevi...&keyword1=com2

I'm going to check my MB this weekend.
            EPIA Nehemiah M10k, M1-ATX, 20GB 4200 RPM 2.5", 256MB RAM, Win XP Home, Gyration RF Keyboard & Mouse, Zoltrix Nightingale Optical 4.1 PCI Sound Card, Lilliput 619GL-70NP, XM-PCR w/ optical upgrade, Garmin GPS-25LVS, Microsoft MN-710 USB Wireless NIC

Comment

And here's where I found the manual for the Falcon CR53 (the manual the guy talked about on the VIA Arena forum):

ftp://ftp.fica.com/manuals/systems/F...UAL%200408.pdf

Comment

hmm, could this be? the type of cable used?

"is definitely the riser cable
                There are 2 types it has to be 12345 wiredm not alternatly up down up down."

I'm gonna bet this is my problem:

V1 Header pins (ASUS style)

V2 Header pins

Now here's how it is on the EPIA boards

So I'm hoping that the problem is that I should have a V1 riser cable, and instead i have a V2 header ( i just got it at a mom and pop shop, not realizing there was any difference) so now when i go home, i'll check it out, and see what version i have (hopefully the wrong one) and try to find a V1 header.

THANK YOU VIA FOR NOT INCLUDING THE @#@!Q#!@# PIECE IN THE FIRST #@$@# Place

Comment

Yep, that was it, got the crossed over, correct connector, and it works perfectly

Comment

Yes, rearranged the connectors, and works perfectly now. Now that I've looked at the manual again, it actually mentions about the correct arrangement.

I always say to my technicians when I'm training them to consult the manual prior to any installations. And what's the first thing they do when they are in the field? Throw the manual away. Guess who's doing it now?

Comment

Just to add a note to this thread - I just put a port on the case of my slimpc and connected it to my COM2 for the XM. It had absolutely no problems at all. I put the red wire towards the white silkscreen rectangle that signifies pin 1. My mobo is the M10000. -BW

Comment

Working...
                      X