AMD or INTEL?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD or INTEL?

Hey guys. yust a regular question... I used to have AMD back in the 90's, and was satisfied with it. it was a K6-II 500 Mhz model. since then i used Intel. celerons, pentium 3-4's and got used to it. Now that i'm planning my CarPc v2.0 i was thinking on getting an AMD system up and running. What do you guys think? What are the pro's and con's? Can you also give me some advice on what processor and what motherboard has the less power draw, so the opus will support it... thank you guys in advance....

cheers

The newest AMD's are faster, require less power, and generate less heat compared to anything by intel at similar price points.

Intels have infinitly greater selection of ITX motherboards though as there are none that I know of for AMD.

I like the shuttle XPC with mobile athlon and OPUS 150 w/ special bracket for it.
    StreetDeck.com Developer (I am Chuck)
    Get StreetDeck at http://www.streetdeck.com
    The Official StreetDeck Forums have moved, please visit us at http://www.streetdeck.com/forum for official support for Streetdeck.

Comment

Don't listen to him! Intel R0XX()RZX.
      Yeah, Intel's run cooler, and use less power. Not the other way around.
      Quick! To the Popemobile!

Comment

I would have to agree with god_of_cpu, you should get a m-atx boad with the mobile athlon processor and you should be able to use it with the opus. The mobile athlon uses much lesser power than a regular athlon.
        Installed
        Asus A7N8X-VM - AMD Mobile Athlon 2400
        512 Ram - 60GB HD - Opus 150w
        Lilliput 7" - Rikaline 6010
        [00000000000001100010-] 98% Completed

Check Out My Install!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Quattro-A4
          I would have to agree with god_of_cpu, you should get a m-atx boad with the mobile athlon processor and you should be able to use it with the opus. The mobile athlon uses much lesser power than a regular athlon.
          I agree too.

mobile athlon 35-45W and nice and cheap.

mobile pentium - bloody expensive.

Comment

I always thought it was the AMD's that run hot... mine did anyway, Athlon XP 2000+ installed in my dash and the temps in the summer were getting dangerously hot, like 70-80 degrees celsius. And that was with a cpu fan and 2 case fans. I had to route the air conditioning to blow on it to keep it cool. It was mostly the fault of where it was mounted though, inside the hot dash. But even in my house (where it is now) it runs 55-60 degrees celsius (in winter, not sure about summer yet).

Comment

Originally posted by BiohazrD
              Don't listen to him! Intel R0XX()RZX.
              Yeah, Intel's run cooler, and use less power. Not the other way around.

This use to be true, intel hasn't been too good with wattage lately. http://www6.tomshardware.com/cpu/200...m4_570-06.html

pentium-M will probably give the best power/performance option, but you'll pay gobs and gobs of money for it compared to a mobile athlon which works great with what an OPUS 150 can supply.
              StreetDeck.com Developer (I am Chuck)
              Get StreetDeck at http://www.streetdeck.com
              The Official StreetDeck Forums have moved, please visit us at http://www.streetdeck.com/forum for official support for Streetdeck.

Comment

Amd

Comment

Originally posted by Bobby Digital
                  I always thought it was the AMD's that run hot... mine did anyway, Athlon XP 2000+ installed in my dash and the temps in the summer were getting dangerously hot, like 70-80 degrees celsius. And that was with a cpu fan and 2 case fans. I had to route the air conditioning to blow on it to keep it cool. It was mostly the fault of where it was mounted though, inside the hot dash. But even in my house (where it is now) it runs 55-60 degrees celsius (in winter, not sure about summer yet).
                  yeah but that is a normal Athlon. XP-M will be much cooler as the voltage is lower and if you underclock them you will run even cooler.

Without a doubt if i had the money and a decent mobo with decent onboard graphics that can do 800x480 was available for intel mobile i would do that. But the athlon mobile with nforce2 mobo for about 110 (chip and board with graphics, sound, firewire, usb2....) is just too tempting.

Comment

As I have said a million times, the one change I would have made when building my carputer is putting in a mobile.
                    As far as I have seen AMDs run hotter (perhaps not the newer ones as God_of_CPU has said).
                    I like AMDs.
                    AMD XP 2600+/512MB RAM/120GB hard drive
                    Opus 150W/DVD/GPS/7" Lilliput TS/802.11g/Bluetooth
                    Installed.

-GPSSecure- - GPS Tracking
                    -AltTabber2.2.2- - Handy touchscreen utility.

Comment

What is the power and temp difference between AMD Mobiles and their non-mobile cpus?
                      -------------------------
                      carputer: in progress
                      Laptop install

Comment

Originally posted by brady
                        As I have said a million times, the one change I would have made when building my carputer is putting in a mobile.
                        Well you can change that now, without buying a new processor. Here's a thread I started a couple of days ago that has a link where they show you how to make your athlon xp into a mobile athlon. If you board supports mobile athlons then you should give this a try.

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=41017
                        Installed
                        Asus A7N8X-VM - AMD Mobile Athlon 2400
                        512 Ram - 60GB HD - Opus 150w
                        Lilliput 7" - Rikaline 6010
                        [00000000000001100010-] 98% Completed

Check Out My Install!!!

Comment

hey guys.

thank you for the responses... i will look into the amd processors. Now. what kind of processor, chipset pair do you guys recommend? is there a compatibility issue, or not? I'm no enemy of amd. although i don't know much about them... what is the cost factor? which is cheaper?

cheers

Comment

I am going with AMD and ASUS. They have always performed extremely well for me and reliable.

I am going to grab am Athlon-M (Mobile) XP 2200+ or 2400+ (35 watter), and most likely the Antec Minuet case if i dont make my own. For motherboard I am gong with the Asus A7v8x-MX SE micro-atx

http://www.newegg.com/app/Viewproduc...ile&srchFor=35
                            http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...131-489&depa=0

good luck,
                            Bd
                            -------------------------
                            carputer: in progress
                            Laptop install

Comment

I like both. I build athlon systems for my uncle and another guy. I build a P4 system for myself and my grandpa. Going back to AMD for my carpc
                              PowerVoice v1 | NaviVoice Source
                              GammaControl v2.4
                              SKINbedder v3

1995 Lexus SC300

Comment

Working...
                              X