X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MicroATX Pentium M from AOPEN

http://aopen.jp/products/mb/i915gmm-hfs.html

http://world.altavista.com/babelfish...rd%2F&lp=de_en

Does anyone else know anything about this motherboard? Iíve searched around and Iíve not come across any hard data on this board. Perhaps because its not been released yet? I donít knowÖ. From what have seen and read ,this seems like the perfect HTPC. Just curious if anyone else had seen this?

It is my plan to use this board to build a Mobile PC in my 03 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland. I just hope the price isnít too overwhelming. Space isnít an issue with my Jeep. I have a decent amount of room to play with. Iíd appreciate any imput and suggestions.

(Edit) Here are some pictures.

If price is an issue, you'll get a much better price / power ratio from a mobile athlon platform.
    StreetDeck.com Developer (I am Chuck)
    Get StreetDeck at http://www.streetdeck.com
    The Official StreetDeck Forums have moved, please visit us at http://www.streetdeck.com/forum for official support for Streetdeck.

Comment

yup Pentium-M's are expensive. Lookslike it has PCI-E graphics slot too from what i can make out from the 1st link.

Comment

Well, as far as the price goes.... I've heard rumor the board would be sold in excess of $400. Which to me would seem insane for a MOBO. It seems that this board has alot to offer though.

You are right, I could go with a Mobile Athlon set-up for much less. It's something I've been considering for a while. I wanted to wait and see how much this board was going to go for before I made a decision.

Comment

These boards can be purchased from newegg.com from $230-$260 last time I checked. I personally prefer the DFI board over the AOpen one. The Pentium M's are pricey though. If power is a concern, though, these boards running at *full* speed use about half the power (30w with a Pentium M 735 1.6GHz) of a mobile Athlon solution (Athlon XP-M 2200) fully underclocked at 600MHz (around 60w). To find the boards at Newegg, go to "Shop By Catetory->Motherboards Intel" and do a search for boards based on the i855GME chipset.

Comment

Originally posted by BullCreek
            These boards can be purchased from newegg.com from $230-$260 last time I checked. I personally prefer the DFI board over the AOpen one. The Pentium M's are pricey though. If power is a concern, though, these boards running at *full* speed use about half the power (30w with a Pentium M 735 1.6GHz) of a mobile Athlon solution (Athlon XP-M 2200) fully underclocked at 600MHz (around 60w). To find the boards at Newegg, go to "Shop By Catetory->Motherboards Intel" and do a search for boards based on the i855GME chipset.

Where are you getting your information from? Mobile athlons ccan be underclocked down to under 10 watts!

http://www6.tomshardware.com/cpu/200...ts_dissipation
            StreetDeck.com Developer (I am Chuck)
            Get StreetDeck at http://www.streetdeck.com
            The Official StreetDeck Forums have moved, please visit us at http://www.streetdeck.com/forum for official support for Streetdeck.

Comment

The numbers from Tom's are power just to the processor I think. I used a similar technique to them, but the numbers I'm stating above (the 30w and the 60w) are total power going into similarly equipped boards. My test weren't quite as apples to apples as I'd like though, because my XP-M solution had to use a Radeon 7000 versus the built-in video on the Pentium M board. To the best of my knowledge there are no mATX Athlon boards with built-in video that support changing the multiplier as required to underclock which is unfortunate (if you know of one, please post). Also note in my comparison the Pentium M was running full speed at 1.6GHz as opposed to the XP-M running as slow as it would go (600MHz on the board in question).

But to summarize - you're original statement is correct. XP-Ms provide much more bang for the buck and are probably the way to go unless a) money isn't an issue or b) you have lots of stuff planned but not much power for it.

Comment

Iím partial to AMDís. Thatís all Iíve owned for the last 8 years. Even my new laptop is running on the Athlon 3400+ Mobile platform. But I do think that in terms of power consumption, the Pentium M chipsets are a little better because you get slightly better performance, plus you donít have to underclock them to get the required (perhaps preferred?) voltage needed for use in a vehicle. (someone please correct me if Iím wrong?) As far as underclocking and overclocking goes Iím fairly un-educated. I donít have a whole lot of personal experiences with either of the two terms.

If you had the choice between a Pentium M or Athlon Mobile chip set, and both were virtually the same price -- which would you choose and why?

Now, as far as the above board goesÖ. IMHO, this board screams HTPC! With the Pentium M chipset -- meaning low power consumption -- I would think this board would be awesome for a CarPC set-up. Of course, the only exception I can find would be having to fork out the extra cash to use a PCI Express graphics card. And that is really the only downfall I see from this board, especially since it does have a lot of really nice features.

Translated link from bablefish
                http://babel.altavista.com/babelfish....html&lp=ja_en

Originally Posted by BullCreek
                "I personally prefer the DFI board over the AOpen one."
                What reason do you prefer the DFI board over the Aopen one? Just curious here. Is there any Pentium M boards that youíd recommend over this one? (That goes for anyone) I'm always opwn to suggestions.

Believe it or not, I already have two older, yet identical Mini-ITX boards with an 800mhz VIA processors on them that were purchased from Advantech. These were boards that were thrown away by where I used to work, and as far as I can tell are in complete working order. I have Windows XP Embedded running on both of them via a 512mb DOM Both have touch screens and USB hooked up and functioning. The only problem(s) I see is there is no on-board sound, nor is there a AGP slot. The board is limited to only one PCI slot and is only capable of using 256mb RAM (PC133) So this limits my plans for a CarPC.

But as far as this project goes, money isnít a huge concern. I have around $1500-$2000 to spend on the computer itself as I already have two of the three touch screens I plan to use. I still need to figure out how to mount the radio bezel in my 03í JGC. To buy a duplicate wood trim price to match identically ( i.e. Factory) is going to cost me almost $400! (information from wjjeeps.com) And thatís just for the trim around the radio.

This is all Iíve come across so farÖ
                http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...highlight=jeep

Comment

The numbers from Tom's are power just to the processor I think. I used a similar technique to them, but the numbers I'm stating above (the 30w and the 60w) are total power going into similarly equipped boards. My test weren't quite as apples to apples as I'd like though, because my XP-M solution had to use a Radeon 7000 versus the built-in video on the Pentium M board. To the best of my knowledge there are no mATX Athlon boards with built-in video that support changing the multiplier as required to underclock which is unfortunate (if you know of one, please post). Also note in my comparison the Pentium M was running full speed at 1.6GHz as opposed to the XP-M running as slow as it would go (600MHz on the board in question).

But to summarize - you're original statement is correct. XP-Ms provide much more bang for the buck and are probably the way to go unless a) money isn't an issue or b) you have lots of stuff planned but not much power for it.

Huh????

ok the Biostar m7ncg-400 is completely adjustible for clock and voltage.

EDIT : (and has onboard nforce video)

the chip i have runs at a maxium of 35 watts set to the stock speed of 1.83 ghz (2400+).

While I will admit the pentium M is a fast chip (the laptop i am typeing on right now has a 1.6 in it) I notice no difference between the two (they are both fast). why pay 600 for a Pentium M and DFI board when you can get the AMD setup for slightly more then a third of that, and you have the ability to overclock/underclock as needed.
                  My Install

Software:
                  CFiG v1
                  iGuidance Plugin for CF

CarShell
                  Working shell for a CarPC

StopWatch
                  StopWatch plugin remade for centrafuse RC1

Comment

Are you talking about just the chips or are you including the m/b?
                    Progress: 80% - Permanent install left.
                    Motion LS800 Tablet PC and dock.
                    Vista, Bu-535 GPS, RoadRunner, MPT2006.

Comment

Distorted_Axis, after looking at the pictures you posted, the AOpen board you are looking at and the one that newegg sells are similar (both mATX and Pentium M) but different. The one you showed looks perfect for HTPC since it has VGA/DVI and component plus fair onboard audio. That said, ignore my comment about the DFI board. Out of the ones that newegg has, I like it the best, but the board you found is intriguing. Have you found a place to buy this board yet in the US?

Alti, thanks for the info on the Biostar board. I'd researched it and downloaded it's manual which said it didn't allow you to adjust the multiplier. From your comment I take it the manual is in error/incomplete?

Arathranar, the 30/60w I listed in my original post is totaly power going into the boards. As mentioned though, on the XP-M solution, a good 20W was probably the video card so it wasn't quite apples to apples.

Comment

Bullcreek,

As near as I know, the board isnít going to be released until March. No set date, nor is there a set price. Just a lot of rumor & speculation floating around discussion boards. I was posting hoping to find more information on this boar, but it looks like there isnít a lot of people who know much including my self.

Comment

Alti, thanks for the info on the Biostar board. I'd researched it and downloaded it's manual which said it didn't allow you to adjust the multiplier. From your comment I take it the manual is in error/incomplete?
                          Can you attach the manual you are looking at so i can look at it?
                          My Install

Software:
                          CFiG v1
                          iGuidance Plugin for CF

CarShell

StopWatch

Comment

alti,

The manual is at ftp://ftp.biostar-usa.com/manuals/M7...NCG400bios.pdf.

Under "CPU Ratio" it says the choices are only "Default". Hopefully this is a misprint or true only if you are running with a locked processor. Can you check on your board and let me know what the lowest number for CPU Ratio you can set? If it goes down to 5 or 6, I'll order one so I can get a better comparison and hopefully save some money by going with XP-Ms in the future on similar projects. The board is nearly $200 cheaper, and the XP-Ms are also nearly $200 cheaper. $400 is nothing to scoff at to save a few extra watts. Thanks.

Comment

You should be able to set the CPU interface setting to 'aggressive' and the Memory timings to 'expert' this will allow to change the clock mutipler and voltage for the CPU as well as the voltage on the system status screen for the RAM. This works great with my XP-M, I have no idea if it works with other processors.

I will try to fire mine up tonight and take a pic of the BIOS setting with my cam so you can see it. I was surprised to see that the clocking and voltage menus are not in the manual.
                              My Install

Software:
                              CFiG v1
                              iGuidance Plugin for CF

CarShell

StopWatch

Comment

Working...
                              X