manualy turn off inverters?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• manualy turn off inverters?

Just a quick question, for you guys using power inverters in your cars.
    How do you turn the thing off? Are you manually unplugging it every night as to not suck the bat dry or somthing else?
    01101100 01101001 01110001 01110101 01101001 01100100 01011111 01110011
    01101101 01101111 01101011 01100101

beer replenishment fund
    http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=93
    mp3car live search

i have joost invites, just hit me up for one.

Originally posted by liquid_smoke
    Just a quick question, for you guys using power inverters in your cars.
    How do you turn the thing off? Are you manually unplugging it every night as to not suck the bat dry or somthing else?
    Mine came with a remote on/off switch. Just ran it up to behind the driver's seat.

I think it's pretty easy to open up an inverter and add one, too.
    95 Chevy G20 Vroom Boom Room
    ...with a whole bunch of nifty ****... go check it out: VanDomain Page

Comment

I run mine through a relay that is connected to the acc line from my ign. So the inverter powers up when I start the car, and I built a delay circuit to turn it back off when I turn the car off.
      肚子笑痛了
      S60 Install

Comment

Originally posted by VanMan69
        Mine came with a remote on/off switch. Just ran it up to behind the driver's seat.

I think it's pretty easy to open up an inverter and add one, too.
        this is exactly what i need, do you have a link to the inverter you have. Its getting to be a super pain to unplug mine every night, esp since im only using it to power the lillyput. I looked into powering the lillyput from the opus but sounds like its too involved for me.

beer replenishment fund
        mp3car live search

Comment

Or you could just use a startup/shutdown controller to turn the inverter/computer on and off with the vehicle ignition; and never have to worry about the inverter draining the battery.

Even when switched off, some inverters' cooling fans still run. In someplace like Arizona or Florida, you'd have a dead battery in no time - even with the inverter turned off.
          DashPC - The Linux Car (since 1999).

Dash LCD, Via Epia, GPS, XM, OBDII, DSSC Shutdown Controller.

As seen in the book Geek My Ride

Comment

Originally posted by liquid_smoke
            this is exactly what i need, do you have a link to the inverter you have. Its getting to be a super pain to unplug mine every night, esp since im only using it to power the lillyput. I looked into powering the lillyput from the opus but sounds like its too involved for me.
            Well, this is my inverter:http://www.donrowe.com/inverters/aims_1250.html

Don't remember where I bought it.

It's 1250W, though. A little excessive if you're just running your Lilliput. You'd be better off wiring it to your Opus, or just extending the on/off switch on a smaller inverter. Hooking it up to your Opus really isn't that difficult.
            95 Chevy G20 Vroom Boom Room
            ...with a whole bunch of nifty ****... go check it out: VanDomain Page

Comment

Most inverter will have a switch to turn it on/off.
              Just wire another swith either parallel or serie to the location of your liking. I prefer serie or just extend the switch.
              2004 Matrix XR A7N8X-VM/400 AMD XP-M 2500+, DS-ATX
              89 Supra Turbo P3 [email protected]/Abit BE6 II, Alpine M-BUS Car2PC.
              Y2K Accord Dell GX150
              RoadRunner is the best FE PERIOD
              EmoRebellion is a SCAMMER

Comment

I jsut opened up my inverter and disconnected the switch that is hooked up and ran some cables to the front of my car and mounted a switch up front to turn on and off. But I just ordered a Car PC EZ 2.2 so that is old news.
                Pioneer DEH7600MP, Autotek MX-800.4, JL Audio XR650-CSi, Adire Audio Shiva

Done with CarPCs, using a iPaq 3765 PDA w/ Holux GM210 and TomTom

Comment

do a search you'll find a shut down controller that uses a relay and a diode. BUT no one ever knows what fricking size diode to use, so you're on your own there.

I'm at work but when i get home i can send you the link to the thread, PM me, if you cant find it.

Comment

lol you can always just use a big diode.. its not going to really hurt anything =)
                    Carputer HIFI car stereo project!
                    [XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX-]
                    95% COMPLETE! FINALIZING SOFTWARE PLATFORM!

[XXXXXX--------------]
                    30% COMPLETE! CAPUTER Version 2.0! Hardware FAILING! CARPUTER BLEW UP! AND NOW MONITOR TOO! WTF?!

Comment

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...tdown+inverter

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...t=ups+inverter

you mean size doesn't matter!?!?! sumofa*****!

Comment

a diode is a diode.. its just if you have a diode thats too small.. it might go pop =P
                        Carputer HIFI car stereo project!
                        [XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX-]
                        95% COMPLETE! FINALIZING SOFTWARE PLATFORM!

[XXXXXX--------------]
                        30% COMPLETE! CAPUTER Version 2.0! Hardware FAILING! CARPUTER BLEW UP! AND NOW MONITOR TOO! WTF?!

Comment

you could put a relay on the power line and turn that on and off manually in order to completely shut off power to the inverter
                          rebuilding carpc... kinda..

Comment

well first, i have 2 inverters and neither one of them have a switch to turn them on/off just plug them in and they are on. So.... ill have to find on that has a switch. I think i can manage to relocate the switch without much hassle. Im not to sure about the other stuff.

Thanks for all the info guys. will let you know if i fry myself once i get a new inverter.

beer replenishment fund
                            mp3car live search

Comment

I use a vector 400W inverter and we took the LED display/on-off/select feature and moved it up to the front of the car using some cat3 6pair. the put the LED display where my clock used to be and wired the buttons differently so it was easier to access them. I can take some pictures if you'd like. Also it's easy to see what the voltage is on my battery, as well as how much power it's using.

-David
                              http://jupiter.walagata.com/w/djpm05/sig.jpg

Comment

Working...
                              X