Recording directly from a camera?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recording directly from a camera?

I'd like to set-up 1 or 2 cameras that I can record directly from the camera to my CarPuter. Do I need something like this or this. I'll decide on a camera after I figure out how to record from one.
    I'd like to use a firewire port if possible since everything else seems to require a USB (lilliput, network card, keyboard, etc.)

1 camera = easy
    more than one camera = pain in the ***

Also, it has been my experience that the M10000 cannot handle video capture very well. You get like 15fps MAX.

and it's a complete pain.
    Debt as of 1/1/05: $34,354.48
    Debt as of July 4, 2007: $0.00 explanation
    I'M DEBT FREE!!
    I'm now a reasonably successful gunblogger.

Comment

Originally posted by wizardPC
      1 camera = easy
      more than one camera = pain in the ***

Also, it has been my experience that the M10000 cannot handle video capture very well. You get like 15fps MAX.

and it's a complete pain.
      What's the best way to do one camera? I'm not talking about a webcam. The quality doesn't seem nearly as good.

Comment

Untill you find a better method a simple but inconveniant method you can use is a screen recorder utility which records whats on your desktop if that helps.

Comment

Originally posted by organasised
          Untill you find a better method a simple but inconveniant method you can use is a screen recorder utility which records whats on your desktop if that helps.
          But that again seems like the quality would suck. I'm not overly concerned with price. As long as it doesn;t cost me $500 for a couple cameras and a way to record them.

Comment

just get a few high Quality web cams and use some web cam software to save it to your computer
            1990 Jeep Cherokee
            2000 VW Golf TDI 4dr
            2005 VW GTI MKIV - SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by WebDog
              just get a few high Quality web cams and use some web cam software to save it to your computer
              I thought about that. But low-light use on webcams sucks. A lot of my recording will be in low light.

Comment

Probably have to go B&W for low light possibly infrared emitters for even lower.
                Rick S.

XP Pro SP2, Soyo P4RC350 MB, Nvidia FX5200, 320W PS, Inverter & uSDC20D, 2.4GHz CeleronD320, 512MB DDR, 30GB 3.5", Pioneer 106s Slot DVD, Linksys WMP54G WiFi, Lilliput 7" & 4" TFT LCD, Zippy EL610 Keyboard, Touchpad, Garmin GPS V

Comment

I think I may end up buying a DV Cam for inside the car and a firewire webcam for outside. Thay way I can record both at the same time.

Comment

If it's not too personal or disturbing your privacy... What do you want to use it for?

Comment

may want to look into a video capture card with a hardware mpeg encoder. that will help alleviate resource usage. and you should be able to find some old webcams that use a composite connection to hook up to that card.

unfortunately, this only works for a single webcam.
                      Your everyday carpc geek and tech guru at your service. *bow*

Comment

I will have my backup camera directly input to my Lilliput..

BUT, I would also love to ba able to click a button etc .. and have 1-4 cameras (all USB ) automatically record as one. Like having each take up 1/4 the screen, kind of like surveilance cameras. I know there are video capture cards that do this with standard video (rca) inputs, but as far as USB I don't know.

You ask yourself, why in the hell would you want that ???

Well, if/when I get pulled over by Johhny Law, all 4 cameras will record all actions and audio for future evidence of harrasment. Unknown to officer of course

Comment

I have a couple cameras in my car, one facing forward, one backwards. I'd like to emulate the DriveCam concept for evidence of wrecks, but also I've been playing with using OCR to log the license plates of every car that is ever directly in front of or behind me.

Couple ideas, I'm curious how often I encounter the same people on the road. Also, I could have a button mapped so that if someone in front or behind me does something stupid, I hit the button and capture it for later. Then I can, if they really ****ed me off, have video/picture w/ license plate to send to DMV.
                          Chrysler 300 - Fabricating
                          http://hallert.net/

Comment

Originally posted by BoyNextDoor
                            If it's not too personal or disturbing your privacy... What do you want to use it for?
                            Not personal at all. I'm in the process of building my motor. It should be about 650 HP to wheels, about 750+ to the crank. I'd like to record my dash and front of my car for drag events and would like to record in front of my during some other track events.

Comment

That souns fun... Darn, have to work much harder, so i can play stuff like that too...

Comment

Working...
                              X