is this an overheating problem?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is this an overheating problem?

I have a VIA M10000 motherboard, OPUS 90watt PS all in an IKEA key box. the carputer ran great for about 2 weeks, then recently, when i drive for about 15 minutes, it locks up, reboots or something weird. When it reboots it locks up. It never comes back up. Sometimes i even get a windows xp partition is missing message. When the car has been off over night and i come back, it boots up fine and runs for 15 minutes perfectly.

I don't have a fan in there, but i can easily put one in. I'm curious if people think that this is an overheating problem. It kinda sounds like it, but why did it start all of a sudden? It doesn't appear the the cables are in any different position.

If i put in a small fan, will it fix it or should i use a large case fan?

thanks!!
    Progress - VIA EPIA SP8000 | 120 Opus Power Supply & Case | 1GB Ram | 120GB 2.5" Hard Drive | Bluetooth 2.0 | GPRS/3G | Wifi | Road Runner/LSX 2.0 (waiting for a day skin for 3.0) | iGuidance 4.0 | Lilliput 7"

I guess the question would first be does it still do it with the lid open, that will tell you for sure if it's a heat problem.
    肚子笑痛了
    S60 Install

Comment

Sounds like overheating. Why did it start all of a sudden? Maybe you hit a bump and jostled the heatsink. Maybe dust accumelated on it, reducing heat transfer. Who knows. Before you do anything, you should install temp monitoring software to make sure heat's your problem. And if it is, besides checking the heatsink is secure, I'd suggest a low speed fan. Even a little extra airflow can make a big difference, and if it was running fine before, it probably just needs a little help.

Comment

your problem might not even be overheating. Have you consider looking other possibility? Like a faulty HD?

Have you tried using your carputer in the car without the lid on?

Comment

I opened the lid and it made no difference. What does this mean?

I just think its odd that it runs for a while w/ no problems. I'll install a temp monitor and try it.

thanks for all the tips.
          Progress - VIA EPIA SP8000 | 120 Opus Power Supply & Case | 1GB Ram | 120GB 2.5" Hard Drive | Bluetooth 2.0 | GPRS/3G | Wifi | Road Runner/LSX 2.0 (waiting for a day skin for 3.0) | iGuidance 4.0 | Lilliput 7"

Comment

check yer ram

www.memtest86.com
            Debt as of 1/1/05: $34,354.48
            Debt as of July 4, 2007: $0.00 explanation
            I'M DEBT FREE!!
            I'm now a reasonably successful gunblogger.

Comment

I have same problem. My carputer runs i about 20 min and it locks.
              But it is overheating.
              I have buildet custom trunk, then I build up floor in a trunk (10cm) and put 2 aps and caputer under there. The case is close with now air vents and so on..
              when I run mapmonkey the Pc can work in 2-3 hours when outside are +23C but when I start Roudrunner the Oc runs max 30 min in +20C and then Windows frezz.
              In my case it is overheating. My M10000 coolr is so hot that I burnet my finger on it.
              No I have drilled a 80mm hole for 80mm fan that will take hot air out to the trunk, but I am also looking after a better solution for Epia M cooling. There got to be a betther thing. Maby use a chipset cooler to cool down epia cpu. I don't know. I am going to test several solutions to this problem and I will share my experiens with you guys.

But I some of you know where to get new coolr for epia m10000 cpu so please tell me
              Project done in: [####################] - 85%
              - Custom center console
              - Custom trunk
              Se my project here

Comment

I wanted to mention that i ran a memory test and it said i had no problems, then i installed a new fan and it runs about 10 degs cooler and rarely locks up.

Thanks!

Comment

check the power supply

check the power supply. buy a powersupply tester. faulty power supplies can cause a similar effect to over heating. the mobo controls everything in the cpu isn't getting enough power it robs power from the drives first. starting with the cd-roms first then moving to hard drives next unless no cd-rom is present. then it's just a case of do not pass go get it. I'm new to this site but i am vey computer savy and i have noticed alot of these mini powersupplies sold for these carputers are lacking a fan themselves heat is the number one enemy and the second is sloppy electronics manufacturing. once a agin if you don't like how it works mod it. but like i sai check the power supply. just cause you bought it and it's brand new never been opened dosen't mean it's going to work properly.
                  80% of all electronics are made by under paid misstreated tired foriegners. screw ups happen. I can't even begin to count the number of times I've but a power supply for a PC and it was bad right out of the box. quality control my butt. I'm so used to it now i just bring a tester with me to the store. it save eveyone alot of headaches. hope this helps later.....

Comment

Working...
                  X