Random Reboot

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Random Reboot

my system reboots randomly at times. not often but once every few days. I could be just driving with music on and the system will reboot. I have an opus dc/dc psu and i checked the connections and it seems fine.
    any help would be great.

Have you checked for viruses or anything of the sort? Possibly loose connections with HD or Memory or something in there. When in doubt tighten EVERYTHING.
    Dak TruckPuter:

Mac: - Researching and Awaiting Funds

Changed to planning for a Mac Mini Trukputer...w3rd.

Comment

possibly heat related or check grounding and the +ve wire from the battery points.
      Never let the truth get in the way of a good story

Comment

As was said it is probably heat related. I would suggest that you download SpeedFan and test what temps you are getting.
        AMD XP 2600+/512MB RAM/120GB hard drive
        Opus 150W/DVD/GPS/7" Lilliput TS/802.11g/Bluetooth
        Installed.

-GPSSecure- - GPS Tracking
        -AltTabber2.2.2- - Handy touchscreen utility.

Comment

Look for a pattern.
          Time from boot to re-boot (also track temp)
          What software is running what media file is playing.
          Driving condition (stop, start, fast start, bump, highway/city, headlights on)

Engine RPM and headlights on could point to a Power issue
          Re-boot on same media file could be a bad media file
          similar time from cold boot to re-boot points to heat (feel the fan outlet for the air temp)
          Bumps may mean a loose connection or other movemt physically in the system.

Good luck and post the results
          TruckinMP3
          D201GLY2, DC-DC power, 3.5 inch SATA

Yes, you should search... and Yes, It has been covered before!

Read the FAQ!

Comment

Another thing I was going to mention that you might try is right clicking on my computer/go to properties/click on advanced/ click on settings in the startup and recovery section/under system failure uncheck the option that says automatically restart
            That way if it is rebooting because of driver problems or other complete system failures you can get some more information on what is causing it. It will give you the lovely blue screen of death rather than just restarting
            AMD XP 2600+/512MB RAM/120GB hard drive
            Opus 150W/DVD/GPS/7" Lilliput TS/802.11g/Bluetooth
            Installed.

-GPSSecure- - GPS Tracking
            -AltTabber2.2.2- - Handy touchscreen utility.

Comment

the same thing happens to me, however its not really a reboot, the computer just hard turns off, then it will start again 5 seconds later because the opus starts it up. this happens anywhere from 20 minutes to several hours after i have been driving regardless of temp/driving conditions/rpm etc, it also ONLY happens with the opus
              Signature: [==||========] 20% complete

Comment

Nic, that sounds like your OPUS is overworked, not getting enough power or faulty. (assuming you have checked for loose wires and good grounding and such)
                TruckinMP3
                D201GLY2, DC-DC power, 3.5 inch SATA

Yes, you should search... and Yes, It has been covered before!

Read the FAQ!

Comment

thanks for the suggestions.
                  I know its not virus related for sure. Im running XP along with frodoplayer. it doesn't seem like it reboots when im going fast or higher rpms. I noticed it did it few time at a stop or slower driving. If it were heat related, would it reboot when on for a long time only? because it seems to reboot even when on for about 20 minutes or so. I have a feeling that it may be that the Opus is running short of power possibly.

EDIT: I shouldn't use the word reboot. Its more like someone pulling the plug on a computer. Then the opus will fire up again. Sorry about that, i just realized that i wasn't being clear.

Comment

I have a feeling that it may be that the Opus is running short of power possibly.
                    Thats what it is. I had an itps and pw70a when i would run into a turn and slow down really fast my computer would turn off. Make sure you are using large enough wires.
                    I GIVE FREE HUGS!
                    Buy Sell or Trade
                    If my pm box is full, please feel free to call me any time. 440-328-3382
                    Thank you
                    Forex
                    Rate Mp3car @ FXroot.com

Comment

I get a similar problem but only reboot in the morning when I start the comp up, it sometimes restarts itself about 3 times then works fine after that.

Also anyone tell me how I can get rid of the bios beep?????
                      Its down!!!! Sold the Golf so took it out, it's still alive but not installed.

Progress [-----------] 0%
                      Who the Daddy Iz!

Comment

im using 150w dc/dc Opus with Via M10000, 512 ddr, dvd/cdrw panasonic, 80g HD.
                        Is that really too much for an opus 150 to handle? I'm going to try and unlpug the dvd/cdrw drive and seeing if that helps any.
                        Will keep updated. Other suggestions would be great.

Comment

Have your car battery and alternator checked, Halfrauds etc usually do it for free.

If the battery and alternator are a little weak this will cause your voltage regulator to bomb out if the demand is high, and then re-boot it when demand is low.
                          New car battery stopped all my random reboots.

HTH
                          My Nissan 200SX @ Silverstone
                          NOW SADLY WRITTEN OFF!

My Car's spec list + pics

Stealth CarPC fab'ing...

Comment

Originally posted by titaniumkingpin
                            im using 150w dc/dc Opus with Via M10000, 512 ddr, dvd/cdrw panasonic, 80g HD.
                            Is that really too much for an opus 150 to handle? I'm going to try and unlpug the dvd/cdrw drive and seeing if that helps any.
                            Will keep updated. Other suggestions would be great.
                            I have a setup similar to yours. EPIA-V, 512 meg ram, DVD rom (slim), 60 gig HD (2.5 inch) with three USB devices. I have my lilliput connected to the PS 12 volt rail, and have itps. All of this is being handled by a 60W DC-DC power supply connected to my car battery via a 16 or 18 gage wire.

So my guess is that your Opus should be able to handle it. Measure voltage going to Opus. If okay, then look for a loose ground wire or faulty Opus.
                            Compaq Evo D510 e-PC - P4 2.0 - 512M RAM - 120G 3.5 HD - 7" Xenarc 700TSV - DSATX fitted nicely inside the PC case

Comment

see, the opus works fine when the car isn't moving or on. I need to re-check my grounding point and all other connections.

Comment

Working...
                              X