What Tv antenna to use in Melbourne?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Tv antenna to use in Melbourne?

it's been about 6 months now that i've been looking for the right TV antenna... Anyone knows where to get a diversity antenna that will go in a tv card or tv? It seems so hard to find one of these!

Mobile TV reception sucks. I've been in a limo before, and the reception isn't great. My advice: don't bother.
    PowerVoice v1 | NaviVoice Source
    GammaControl v2.4
    SKINbedder v3

1995 Lexus SC300

Comment

Will any channels in UHF or VHF get picked up half way decent at all?
      Osiris Networx

--Tuning is all about price vs performance. You've got to find your own medium.--

Comment

Originally posted by Osiris
        Will any channels in UHF or VHF get picked up half way decent at all?
        From what I remember, no

Only way to get good reception is to go satellite - and that will cost you a few grand.
        PowerVoice v1 | NaviVoice Source
        GammaControl v2.4
        SKINbedder v3

1995 Lexus SC300

Comment

I am doing driveway service part time at a Mobil petrol station, and there's this guy who works at mercedes and comes to fill up about 11 cars everyday. Most of them have Tv tuners and the quality are surprisingly good in any directions. He told me that all these cars have stock built in antennas around the windows n doors even if no tv tuners have been installed. Does anyone know how we could build our own diversity antenna around the car in a similar way? even if we had to buy some exsiting antennas and rip them apart to modify or something...

Most antennas that car audio shops are selling have 2 or more outputs that go into expensive tv tuners. We would even buy these as we only have 1 input for our pc tvs. Wouldn't it be just that device that does the antenna switching (diversity) and send the best signal to our pc tuner that we need to find?

Comment

Originally posted by M^ck^y
            I am doing driveway service part time at a Mobil petrol station, and there's this guy who works at mercedes and comes to fill up about 11 cars everyday. Most of them have Tv tuners and the quality are surprisingly good in any directions. He told me that all these cars have stock built in antennas around the windows n doors even if no tv tuners have been installed. Does anyone know how we could build our own diversity antenna around the car in a similar way? even if we had to buy some exsiting antennas and rip them apart to modify or something...

Most antennas that car audio shops are selling have 2 or more outputs that go into expensive tv tuners. We would even buy these as we only have 1 input for our pc tvs. Wouldn't it be just that device that does the antenna switching (diversity) and send the best signal to our pc tuner that we need to find?
            Exactly what i was wondering. What has to be done to make a tuner except diversity antennas. I dont know exactly what diversity antennas do but is one for UHF and the other for VHF or does it just pick up the best signal from the antenna that is providing it, hence having two?
            Osiris Networx

--Tuning is all about price vs performance. You've got to find your own medium.--

Comment

Come on guys, bring up some ideas!!! I'm so keen on getting TV in the car specially after seeing those mercedes

Comment

I have a similar antenna question i figured i would post here since you guys are into this.
                I was looking to get a tv fm card but I was wondering.
                Many of them say they can use external source or CATV but what if i'm in a car? I have no CATV nor am i using an external. Is there a way to connect a antenna or do i not need one? Can I just go to a store and buy an antenna that plugs into the cable input?

Thanks....

Another noob.
                Another Novice?
                Progress so far <-------*-> 88%
                Kenwood MPV5025 with Aux
                Via MII10000
                512MB Ram
                LG Slim DVD\CDRW
                Xenarc 700TS
                M1ATX
                Pharos GPS
                SYBA USB2.0 4-port Hub
                Bufalo 54Mbs Wirelessb/g PCMCIA card

Comment

Originally posted by Heckle0
                  I have a similar antenna question i figured i would post here since you guys are into this.
                  I was looking to get a tv fm card but I was wondering.
                  Many of them say they can use external source or CATV but what if i'm in a car? I have no CATV nor am i using an external. Is there a way to connect a antenna or do i not need one? Can I just go to a store and buy an antenna that plugs into the cable input?

Thanks....

Another noob.
                  If you dont want to use an external source than dont. Same with catv. If you look at pictures of most tv cards, they will have 2 coaxial outputs. One is for your external/catv input and one is usually for the fm antenna.
                  Osiris Networx

Comment

So there's no answer for tv in car, except if you buy a mercedes

Comment

I dunno how well this antenna is, but it's omnidirectional!

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....sPageName=WDVW
                      Fox Mulder
                      2004 Toyota MR2
                      Modified Intel Xeon E5450 3Ghz Quad Core 2GB RAM 160GB SSD M4ATX Xenarc 700TSV TS Toslink Audio BU353 DiNovo Mini Car2PC ODBII Bluetooth HF 16x2 Character LCD

Comment

a regular straight up wire antennae is omni-directional. it can pickup signals polarised in most planes.

simple maxwells equations tell us that. not trying to nit pick.
                        CarPC Status:

Hardware: 100%
                        Software: 100%
                        Case Install: 100%
                        Dash Install: 100%
                        Car Install: 100%

crap factor: 100%

new carpc finished, thinking of way to mount HDD
                        and not installed yet.

Comment

hehehe I was just thinking omni directional must be better as most tv antennas are directional? But omni directional might mean it may pick up more noise....
                          Fox Mulder
                          2004 Toyota MR2
                          Modified Intel Xeon E5450 3Ghz Quad Core 2GB RAM 160GB SSD M4ATX Xenarc 700TSV TS Toslink Audio BU353 DiNovo Mini Car2PC ODBII Bluetooth HF 16x2 Character LCD

Comment

I have one of these 360 deg caravan antenna, works great upon testing but it looks ugly and bulky. mine has a built in noise filter which does a very good job with an ajustable gain control. I have a quite small car and I tried to place it on the rear shelf under the rear window but reception was poor. I am thinking of getting a roof rack just for that and paint both the antena and the rack. would look ugly imo.

Comment

Yeah, I'm looking at the possibility of putting TV in my car.

Came across this link the other day. Not sure how well it works though.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....765385292&rd=1

The seller is even in Melbourne!

Comment

Working...
                              X